Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #61
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with the Dannys! I look at it like this.... it's the same as if my neighbor's kid asks for advice on his car repair. He asks me to look at the brake rotor. I walk over there and in the sloped driveway he has his car jacked up with the toy scissors jack that came with the car. No other support. He sticks his head under the rotor anmd says "what do you think?"

I think you need to properly support the damned car, that's what I think. Then I would explain how to SAFELY support the vehicle and the ramifications if he doesn't before proceeding. Is that insensitive? f it is maybe he's in the wrong place. Go talk to your therapist and get a hug if you can't handle some advice on safety.

JMHO/YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #62
jsb5717

Another ditto. There's ignorance (I don't know what I don't know), then there's willful ignorance (now I know but I choose to ignore it). Some just call that stupid...and you can't fix that.

One of the many things that I appreciate about both this forum and the Keystone forum is the willingness of experienced members to warn folks of dangerous weight mismatches. I agree that we should all try to help keep each other safe. Sounds like that other forum is based on the ridiculous notion that everyone should get a trophy just for showing up.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #63
wiredgeorge

Ahhh keep your nose out of it! When a kid wants to put his/her/it's hand on a hot stove, let 'em! They won't do it again. Just kidding. I am a member of a couple of RV forums and a couple of them have more unsafe advice being given out that I often feel that trying to say something that actually makes sense is an infraction of forum rules. "Well, just go ahead and add some air bags if your rear bumper is dragging the road surface after you hook up your new mega-camper!"
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #64
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I got severely scolded yesterday on another forum when a fellow said he'd traded his TT for a 30'+ 10k lb 5th wheel & looking for a good hitch for his F150. I made the remark that he should check the numbers & do some calculations on towing that much rv with a F150. That got me a scolding from a moderator telling me that my remarks about weight had absolutely nothing to do with the question asked. Then from OP that stated it was well within all the numbers, he had driven trucks, knew all about weights & didn't need to do any calculations. So then he decides he's putting in an automatic slider hitch for another 200-300 lbs in the bed of that F150. I told them I was only concerned for their safety & everyone else on the highway with them.
What say you? Should I have kept my nose out of it?
Heck no! And what forum if you don't mind sharing?
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #65
notanlines

Like Mark, I also am interested in what forum this took place. And Danny, if you'd rather not say here, then PM me.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #66
Northofu1

I want to know too, sounds like fun.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #67
wiredgeorge

Danny is likely hesitant to name the forum as he knows a bunch of rowdy folks from this jungle will invade that forum, make trouble and tell 'em Danny sent us!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #68
jmgreer1

Update for the OP

UPDATE

We purchased the 2021 Keystone Outback 291UBH! I pulled it back from the dealer, a distance of 100 miles, equipped with an Andersen WDH. Gotta say, it did just fine. Note, it was fully unloaded. A few weeks ago, we pulled it to a local state park for a weekend camping test fully loaded and thought it did ok (the camping experience was a different story...).

Fast forward to this week. We pulled it down to the beach, fully loaded, about 250 miles each way. I wouldn't say I was "white knuckled", but it was not an easy drive. The wind blew me all over the road. After arriving, I felt like I had been deep sea fishing all day!

I need to say that I am within the specs of my truck, albeit, at the upper limits. And I never felt the truck was out of control either. The truck averaged 11MPH over the entire trip. If I were only going to pull to places nearby and park, I would consider keeping what I have. But we plan to see a lot of the country and the extra comfort from a HD truck would help make a better experience.

I'm shopping for a bigger truck now. I had a chance to compare my truck to my BIL F250 diesel and there is a major difference. Less bounce, better highway speeds, overall more comfortable. Honestly, fuel tank capacity is likely one of the very top reasons I am now shopping as we could only get approximately 230 miles per tank, a very limiting factor. Worrying about fuel is not something I'd like to have to plan around.

I appreciate all the opinions and advice of the forum. It was worth it for me to try at least!
jmgreer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:34 AM   #69
notanlines

Be sure to jump to a 350/3500 and pass on anything lower.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #70
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Be sure to jump to a 350/3500 and pass on anything lower.
X2!
Don’t buy a 3/4 ton diesel, low payload, go straight to a one ton.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Nowhere in your posts do you say that you actually "towed to a CAT scale to see how much the rig weighs"... All of your assumptions are based on "it felt great" or "It towed just fine". Those are "never towed a fifth wheel before, inexperienced assessments" about something you've never done before, with only the input of a short tow with a larger vehicle that was "a noticeable improvement in towing".

I'd first suggest that your "in all the numbers" is a "brochure guesstimate" that's not based in reality.

You should find a CAT scale and get some "real world reality" on which to base your decisions. In reality, your trailer pin may be heavier than the payload in your BIL's truck or your trailer pin may be light enough that payload is not an issue with either truck. Until you get "real weights" you're only guessing or grasping about what decision to make....

There's a CAT scale at Kasko's in Brookhaven, one at Love's in Magnolia and one at Love's in Magee. It'll be the best $14 you'll spend.

It's simple to weight, just follow the diagram on how to park on the scale pads (truck and trailer diagram) at https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/. Without moving the rig, loosen the weight distribution bars and reweigh the rig. Then pull off the scale and park the rig, unhitch, return to the scales and reweigh (straight truck diagram on same page). Go inside, pay your $14 and based on those three weight slips, do some math to get exactly what your rig weighs.

Then you can make some "valid decisions about what to do"....

Right now, you're just as likely to buy a diesel F250 and find that you're still overloaded, even though it "tows better".... Don't buy three trucks to get it right, go to the scales and know what you're doing......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #72
sourdough
Site Team

I will agree with the previous posts; just go to the 1 ton - btdt. The 3/4 has lots of built in limitations when it comes to todays larger and heavier trailers. The 1 ton will give you approx. 1k+ lbs. additional payload and cost almost nothing more than a 3/4 ton. Same trim levels etc. Ride and mileage are about the same. It will certainly improve the handling you experienced with the 1/2 ton - which is typical due to their limitations and what many call "just fine".
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle