Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
tribalsimba

303TG & Silverado 1500 - Update

We picked it up today. A few manufacture defects, but nothing that can't be resolved with ease. I'm going to mention all of this; because I think it justifies the difference between buying it from your local dealer, and making a trip to get it from a wholesale dealer. I would not want to drive 150 miles to return the unit for service/inspection. I'm pretty sure any local dealer may not be as accomodating to my schedule, as a customer of another dealer.

-- I noticed something sharp in the rear slide carpet. When I lifted it up; there were staples all through it, going nowhere. So we pulled them out so our kids wouldn't accidentally step on them. Something tells me at one time in construction, this piece of carpet was secured to something.
-- 1 window side skirt/cornis, left side of dinette window, is separating. It appears that when you try to pull the day shade down, it doens't pull down past the window wheel crank, and if you try to, you overflex the side skirt.
-- 1 bedroom sliding door is not plumb/level, it appears one of the top slide casters is not properly fastened to the door.
-- 1 kitchen drawer is not square, and therefore does not shut flush, and stay shut in the clip/clasp.
-- hide-a-bed does not fold out flat, appears that the standoffs just need adjusted; but I'm surprised they aren't already set properly.

All in all we're very happy with the quality; and pleased with the finish. Cannot wait to get it out!

BTW: the truck pulled it 'well' home from the dealer. About 14 miles. It was not unsteady, or overpowering the footing of the truck, with the Equalizer WD/Sway. It actually felt very small behind me; and I'm not concerned about the footing of the rig as a whole. We'll see how long trips with SEMI's and hills changes my mind. It was some work for the engine on the hills, but nothing unexpected.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Handysam

Everyone there has to be so excited, and can't wait to get out. Sounds like minor issues, and I think the chevy will be fine if you don't push it too hard. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
tribalsimba

So last year was wonderful, and our 600 mile trip went very smoothly with our half ton. But, as suggested by others, through the hills, the down shifting was really working the truck, although it never shuttered or showed signs of being stressed.

However, in the end, we would like more seating and flexibility, in addition to a more co.fortable towing experience. We have a Suburban 2500 on its way to us, with the 6.0L and the new 6-Speed trans. I'm hoping it will tow much more effortlessly. I'll let ya'll know.

Either way, for the 3000 miles we towed it last year in PA mountain terrain, I was very happy and comfortable with my trusty Silverado 1500. It was at its maximum, but would have been fine for several years.

We're looking forward to getting to camp with friends all in one vehicle this year.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
tribalsimba

Our {new to us} 2009 Suburban 2500 6.0L/4x4 pulls the TT well. I think the 6-Speed trans with 3.73 gears forces the truck into 2500+ RPM's on severe grades >5% trying to maintain 55, where the Silverado 1500 5.3 w/ 3.73's would have been in the 4000+ Range, in 2nd gear, but still pulling.

So, in the end, it will last longer, and maybe use a little less gas. I 'feel' more confident that the entire frame/drivetrain is better built for this, and since I live in mountainous terrain, I need it more than someone in the flats.

Most importantly, I want to lift up the gentlemen that expressed their concerns with using a 1/2 ton rig for a 6000+ lbs trailer. Their point was braking/safety. And I will admit the braking and transmission decelleration are 'VERY' noticable compared to the 1/2 ton rig, and I'm on their side now. In a disaster, I feel this truck will maintain control much more confidently than the 1/2 ton TV.

So, that's my two cents, and closure on the "Is a half ton too small for a big TT?" discussion.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Bluewater

It would be great if everyone with an undersized or near so would read your post. It would save them a lot of grief and put them in a safe situation towing...thanks
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote