Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
nickofosho

RV Bike Racks

Anyone use a ladder mount bike rack for their RV? Looking for a new bike storage solution and would love any input or advice. Any other types of racks anyone loves?
nickofosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Northofu1

Personally, I think relying on 18 #10 (if your lucky) x 1 1/2" screws to hold up even just two bikes is crazy.
I use a front hitch on my truck, with a swagman rack. Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

All of the RV roof ladders that I've seen have an "owner's manual/installation instructions" that state something like: DO NOT USE THIS LADDER AS STORAGE DURING TRAVEL. The ladders attach to the trailer sidewall/end cap and the roof with "barely adequate screws. Adding weight to the ladder is an excellent way to loosen the screws on the roof and set up a "perfect way for water to seep into the trailer to destroy the wood roof decking".....

I agree with the above. Don't use the ladder to "hook anything to" during travel. Better yet, don't use it to climb on the roof if you weigh more than around 150-175 pounds....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^I agree. I've had multiple problems with my ladder from the folks at the dealership using it to do roof maintenance to the point I've told them to stay off of it. I wouldn't dream of attaching anything to it for travel - ever.....or even myself to get on the roof, I use a tall A frame ladder then the top step of the RV ladder for the final step onto the roof.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
gearhead

I have a Curt front mount receiver and a Swagman rack. Haven't used it in a while but might on the the next trip. I put the handlebars on the passenger side. Betty will be asleep by the city limit sign anyway.
Really works well when I use the Bigfoot cabover. Gives me that off road expedition, adventurer, bon vivant look. LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
nickofosho

Thanks for the input. That makes a lot of sense.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #7
nickofosho

Yeah, good call, thanks!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:27 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofosho View Post
Anyone use a ladder mount bike rack for their RV? Looking for a new bike storage solution and would love any input or advice. Any other types of racks anyone loves?
There are now many tongue mount bike rack the place the bikes over the propane tanks on TT. This places the bikes safely out of the way. I have never been a fan of mounting bike on the front of the TV, blocked, headlights, turn signals, and air flow to the radiator.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:06 AM   #9
Northofu1

I double checked that on mine, no issue. I don't cover the bikes.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #10
{tpc}

My bikes are folded up and go in the backseat of the truck. I suppose I could find a way to get them into the main area of the coach pretty easily, but I feel like I would have more to worry about them damaging the floor and whatnot.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #11
Urbish

I have a Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk which mounts to the A-frame. I put a cheap Harbor Freight bike rack on it with the arms reversed which keeps the bikes close to the TT and allows me to open the hatch of my Durango without hitting the bikes.
Urbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:02 PM   #12
Jimmy240

I have three boys so I decided to install the Jack-It Double Bike Carrier System. It only holds two bikes (adjust for any size), but it frees up space in the bed of the truck and doesn’t block anything around the tongue/ trailer electric jack. It’s also super easy to install. I installed mine when I installed an electric Jack. The only draw back to it that someone might have is if they are short and/or have no upper body strength to lift the bikes up on and off the rack.

Let's Go Aero - 429756 Jack-It Double Bike Carrier System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRM7MM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofosho View Post
No......We carry bikes secured to an RV-approved hitch rack.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
Spritnsky

Jacket bike rack

We use the Jackit bike rack. Mounts over your trailer jack in the front. Works GREAT!!
Spritnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #15
Cari&Dar

Inside the trailer

After exploring all the options, we’ve settled on bringing our two adult bikes inside the trailer and laying them down (with blankets under and between) on the dinette. They stay pretty still and it seems to be working well so far.
Cari&Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari&Dar View Post
After exploring all the options, we’ve settled on bringing our two adult bikes inside the trailer and laying them down (with blankets under and between) on the dinette. They stay pretty still and it seems to be working well so far.
Years ago, quite a few people would mount "bike racks" on the underside of their dinette seat bottoms. When traveling, they'd turn the seat bottoms over, remove their bike front wheel, mount the bikes in the racks and travel with them tied down, inside the trailer, on the dinette. Then, on arrival, simply remove the bikes, turn the dinette seat bottoms over and put the cushions back in place....

For some reason, it became "more popular" to put bikes on the rear bumper, bend, damage or lose them in the process.... I never quite understood what was objectionable about traveling with bikes inside the RV like you're doing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #17
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Years ago, quite a few people would mount "bike racks" on the underside of their dinette seat bottoms. When traveling, they'd turn the seat bottoms over, remove their bike front wheel, mount the bikes in the racks and travel with them tied down, inside the trailer, on the dinette. Then, on arrival, simply remove the bikes, turn the dinette seat bottoms over and put the cushions back in place....

For some reason, it became "more popular" to put bikes on the rear bumper, bend, damage or lose them in the process.... I never quite understood what was objectionable about traveling with bikes inside the RV like you're doing.
I used an attachment on my RV bumper from Mount-N-Lock (sp?) that uses 2 brackets that attach to the frame and wrap a stiff bar around the bumper to keep in from twisting. Then I purchased the Stromburg Carlson bike carrier that was specifically designed for the rear of an RV. Then for added safety I added a hitch clip to remove any wable in the rack. Works beautifully, and I have under $250 for all of it. It is a 2 bike carrier.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I used an attachment on my RV bumper from Mount-N-Lock (sp?) that uses 2 brackets that attach to the frame and wrap a stiff bar around the bumper to keep in from twisting. Then I purchased the Stromburg Carlson bike carrier that was specifically designed for the rear of an RV. Then for added safety I added a hitch clip to remove any wable in the rack. Works beautifully, and I have under $250 for all of it. It is a 2 bike carrier.
If that works for you, great !!! My post was to offer an "alternative" that's been around for ages that, for some reason, fell from favor... It's still a viable option for some people, not so much for others....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #19
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

In my travel trailer I modified and mounted my bikes on the dinette, loved it. If I had a dinette in the 5er I would have done the same.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #20
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari&Dar View Post
Same here, way easier, no more dis-assembly or removal of the front tire. Up the door and in, they ride nicely between the opposing slides when pulled in. I throw an old sheet or moving blanket over them to protect the trailer furniture from getting dirty.

When we get to where we're going they come out and get locked up to the front landing gear until we need them.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack