Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
ed cobos

fridge auto/ac

how do i know for sure that the fridge is running on ac or gas? check light comes on, switch to auto, but not sure if unit made switch to ac.
ed cobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Our Dometic fridge has a gas button on the top panel, which when "out", indicates that the fridge is operating on gas. When it is depressed or "in" , the fridge is on 110v. If it is on Auto, it will select electricity if both modes are available.

If you have a manual for your fridge, there will be an explanation of its operation.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
TandE

On my Atwood helium fridge when I power it up and it is on auto it checks to see what is available and lights up that icon (gas/AC) and then the lights go out. And if I hit the mode button I believe it shows me what it is on. I have to double check that though.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
SlowPoke

Yes, with the Atwood Helium it does show the initial mode, then goes dark after a few moments , then hitting the mode button at anytime thereafter will show what mode you are running on .

It will choose AC over gas whenever available on AUTO.

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
SteveC7010

http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD/M...f?Opendatabase

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...r_Manual_8.pdf

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
Laredo291OH

Hi Ed,

I like to stick to my motto of KISS, keep it simple for me being stupid (or something like that), but if you want to make sure your fridge is running on AC and not propane, turn off the propane tanks. If the fridge is still working, it's on AC.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
Hi Ed,

I like to stick to my motto of KISS, keep it simple for me being stupid (or something like that), but if you want to make sure your fridge is running on AC and not propane, turn off the propane tanks. If the fridge is still working, it's on AC.
The down side to that is you have also disabled your stove.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
ed cobos

hey laredo - did that and the check light kept coming on - maybe i need to wait longer, will try it again.
ed cobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
lablum

Fridge??

Did you ever get the fridge issue resolved? We are having the same thing. I put the fridge on auto while plugged into AC and with propane off. After a few minutes I hear clicking (trying to light with propane but propane is off). When it clicks for a while it stops and then the check light comes on. Fridge lights work when on AC but fridge doesn't.. Luckily we were dry camping this past weekend so we used gas anyway.. But would really like to have this issue corrected. Wondering what worked, if anything, for you.
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablum View Post
Did you ever get the fridge issue resolved? We are having the same thing. I put the fridge on auto while plugged into AC and with propane off. After a few minutes I hear clicking (trying to light with propane but propane is off). When it clicks for a while it stops and then the check light comes on. Fridge lights work when on AC but fridge doesn't.. Luckily we were dry camping this past weekend so we used gas anyway.. But would really like to have this issue corrected. Wondering what worked, if anything, for you.
Thanks.
In the exterior fridge compartment you should find a single 120VAC outlet. First, confirm the fridge control box is firmly plugged into it. If it is, unplug it and plug a nightlight or some other convenient 120VAC device into the outlet, to verify that 120VAC is present. If not, check circuit breaker.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
In the exterior fridge compartment you should find a single 120VAC outlet. First, confirm the fridge control box is firmly plugged into it. If it is, unplug it and plug a nightlight or some other convenient 120VAC device into the outlet, to verify that 120VAC is present. If not, check circuit breaker.
This. Lights in the fridge get power from 12V DC, so they can't be used to tell if the 120V supply is okay.

If 120V supply is okay, I would check the resistance of the heating element next.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote