Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
Jeff B Florida

Question Rear exterior Fiberglass panel flexing 2019 Keystone Bullet 287QBS

I am new to this forum. I have a 2019 Keystone Bullet 287QBS with the exterior rear panel that is flexing someone mentioned to me that it indicates water penetration and damage Is that true?

Also looking to repair the area above the tires due to 3 tire loss, 1 last year on driver side and 2 this past June on passenger side.

Jeff B Land O Lakes Florida
Jeff B Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Often times the rear wall is “floating”, meaning it’s only held in place by the top, bottom and sides using staples or screws and the rear window if you have one.

If you can, post pics of the damage so we can better try to help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
Jeff B Florida

The dent below the right hand rear clearance light happened this past trip. When pushing on the back pane it flex's inward. It does not appear loose along the seams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Outside panel Keystone BUllet .jpg
Views:	127
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	34910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dent below clearance light on rear of Keystone Bullet.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	34911  
Old 07-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have to ask; how do you lose 3 tires on a 2019 trailer? Are you keeping them at max psi? Hitting potholes etc.? Are they overloaded? I've not had that many tire failures in decades much less on a 2 year old trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The side walls are "vacuum bonded" and feel solid. The rear wall is "hung in place after the trailer sidewalls are installed. If it were also "vacuum bonded" the costs to provide bolt locations to install the rear wall would increase the costs. So, Keystone uses a "partially built wall, the interior luan is glued to the aluminum frame, the wall is then put in position and there is access to the aluminum frame to bolt it to the side walls and the floor, then insulation is installed and the rear "skin" is installed. It's held in place along all 4 perimeters by molding screwed through the FILON. Any windows, ladder mounts, tail lights and if installed, a bar-b-que rack all screw "through the FILON to help secure the rear wall to the frame. When the sun shines on the rear wall, it gets hot, expands enough to make it "bubble, droop or bulge enough to make it appear "loose".

Here are a couple of photos of the rear wall being installed on a Cougar at the factory. In the first photo you can see how the "rear wall without FILON is installed, then as the trailer moves down the line, the FILON is hung in place and trimmed to fit the roofline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAILER SIDE AND REAR.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	34912   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0320.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	34913  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #6
Jeff B Florida

Tire area damage

sourdough: I am not sure what caused the tires to fail. The tires were kept at recommended pressure and never driven when low due to cooler weather. They also did not sit with low pressure when stored.

I just found out this year that the area above the tires needs to be repaired and maintained. This was after I lost two tires on the passenger side. The trailer and truck was not overloaded.

Thank you for the information on the back exterior wall.

19 Keystone Bullet 287QBS
F150 FX4 w/Tow package

Jeff B
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B Florida View Post
sourdough: I am not sure what caused the tires to fail. The tires were kept at recommended pressure and never driven when low due to cooler weather. They also did not sit with low pressure when stored.

I just found out this year that the area above the tires needs to be repaired and maintained. This was after I lost two tires on the passenger side. The trailer and truck was not overloaded.

Thank you for the information on the back exterior wall.

19 Keystone Bullet 287QBS
F150 FX4 w/Tow package

Jeff B

Jeff if they aren't overloaded (have you tried a scale yet?) then maybe there was a bad lot of tires or something. That is a phenomenal failure rate to me. I am assuming you have replaced all the tires, if not I would highly recommend doing so and going with one of the more reputable brands; Carlisle, Goodyear etc. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Jeff B Florida

Sourdough: Already replaced all tires with Carlisle's.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
Jeff B Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The side walls are "vacuum bonded" and feel solid. The rear wall is "hung in place after the trailer sidewalls are installed. If it were also "vacuum bonded" the costs to provide bolt locations to install the rear wall would increase the costs. So, Keystone uses a "partially built wall, the interior luan is glued to the aluminum frame, the wall is then put in position and there is access to the aluminum frame to bolt it to the side walls and the floor, then insulation is installed and the rear "skin" is installed. It's held in place along all 4 perimeters by molding screwed through the FILON. Any windows, ladder mounts, tail lights and if installed, a bar-b-que rack all screw "through the FILON to help secure the rear wall to the frame. When the sun shines on the rear wall, it gets hot, expands enough to make it "bubble, droop or bulge enough to make it appear "loose".

Here are a couple of photos of the rear wall being installed on a Cougar at the factory. In the first photo you can see how the "rear wall without FILON is installed, then as the trailer moves down the line, the FILON is hung in place and trimmed to fit the roofline.
Thank you for the information. Stay well and enjoy.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
Summergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B Florida View Post
Sourdough: Already replaced all tires with Carlisle's.
While you are under look to see if the laun boards are moldy in the tire areas.
That is not needed if you have the hyper deck floor.
Your 2019 may or may not have the newer floor.

Tags
bullet, glass, keystone