Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #121
danf

I finally got it back. The dealer/factory had it since Sept 2019. The floor itself looks pretty good. They had to have lifted the body off the unit to repair it. The walls rest on the floor right on top of the vinyl. They cut all the electrical and plumbing lines where they go into the basement and then used junction boxes and adapters to put everything back together. I'm not sure they took the fridge out. I suspect they just lifted it along with the walls. The sink definitely was removed along with shower and rest of bathroom. They did not remove the coroplast. They cut a hole under the shower and under the heater and taped them back.

There are lots of small issues though:
- The floor is similar in feel to the original wood one. There are places where there is some sag. It also seems to be more solid in other places. The floor does creak in places.
- The kitchen sink base creaks. Haven't looked, but I don't think it was screwed down well.
- The shower had all the wall rivets broken and the two screws that you can see for the base are there but they didn't penetrate the floor.
- I had replaced the mouse door with a plug in type cord. They evidently broke the outlet and replaced it. I'm guessing they didn't disconnect it before lifting the body. Unfortunately their replacement is a wicked hack job.
- They evidently put the heater vent pipes back on the heater, but didn't tighten the band clamps. Two of them disconnected and fell into the basement.
-There is finger width gap in the rear of the unit between the wall and floor. It appears that the replacement floor was a little short. Maybe all units are like this and there is some caulking in there that they didn't put back. I suspect it's the same in the front, but there is board that covers the gap.
- The plumbing is a hack job. They strained the pipes to make them mate. I'll have to watch closely to see if they do not leak.
- The toilet was not put back in the same orientation. It should have been rotated away from the sink. Knee room is a problem now.
- The shade stays at the bottom of each window that hold the shade in place when you drive around are all broken.
- The microwave round piece that the glass plate sits on is broken. It's like the camper had a wicked rough ride.
- There is some missing trim.
- The fresh water drain cap was missing.
- Strangely, the unit has a different battery box.

So anyway, a lot of that is easy fix, but a pain. I haven't run the heater, but everything seems to work.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #122
Summergirl

Your dealer should be aware of he issues and correct them.
Ours is at the factory in Oregon right now. Hopefully it will come back okay.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #123
danf

The dealer is getting some trim and the shower rivet things. I haven't told them about the heater vents...you wouldn't know unless you took off the cover to the heater. You wouldn't know about the gap in the rear unless you took off the electrical cover. Once I get those heater vents back on I'm going to let it sit overnight with the heat on and a carbon monoxide alarm nearby. If they didn't put the vents on, I have no expectation that the exhaust is installed right.

I'll just pick up the parts when they come in and do everything myself. It will be easier and less time than taking it in.

I was told the dealer gets 1.5 hrs to make the camper presentable. There is only so much they will do.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #124
DCARLTON

After hearing this, I am glad they bought ours back. My understanding, in speaking with the guy who was in charge of this operation (January 2019), he told me they basically took it apart, lifting the walls, removing the slides, getting it back down to just the trailer/floor system. Then the floor was removed and replaced. At this point I'm wondering what floor would have been in ours as this was early 2019 before the announcement of the new flooring system.

Once the floor was completed, it would be totally rebuilt . It sounds like they did that to yours. However, people already complain about quality control and workmanship on New campers, sounds like it's worse on rebuilt ones.

We turned down the offer for a rebuilt camper (ours was only 6 months old at the time). I would have hoped that you would have received your camper back in almost perfect condition.

Don't get me wrong though, we loved that 30RIPR. It was light weight, towed like a dream, had a great floor plan and for us was the perfect camper.

One question for you on yours, did the dry weight and tongue weight change? I have to believe their new flooring system weighed more than the previous floor.
Georgia
DCARLTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #125
danf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCARLTON View Post
After hearing this, I am glad they bought ours back. My understanding, in speaking with the guy who was in charge of this operation (January 2019), he told me they basically took it apart, lifting the walls, removing the slides, getting it back down to just the trailer/floor system. Then the floor was removed and replaced. At this point I'm wondering what floor would have been in ours as this was early 2019 before the announcement of the new flooring system.

Once the floor was completed, it would be totally rebuilt . It sounds like they did that to yours. However, people already complain about quality control and workmanship on New campers, sounds like it's worse on rebuilt ones.

We turned down the offer for a rebuilt camper (ours was only 6 months old at the time). I would have hoped that you would have received your camper back in almost perfect condition.

Don't get me wrong though, we loved that 30RIPR. It was light weight, towed like a dream, had a great floor plan and for us was the perfect camper.

One question for you on yours, did the dry weight and tongue weight change? I have to believe their new flooring system weighed more than the previous floor.

I can't tell. I tow with an F250 with overloads so if weight was 3-400 pounds more, I probably wouldn't even notice. Plus it was empty when I towed it back.

The first time I went to the dealer, they didn't even clean it out or wash it. There was saw dust and bits and pieces of construction debri all over.

Doing these floors is definitely a rush job. You can tell.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #126
BrooksFam

New member here, new to trailer, not new to RV'ing. Have had several motorhomes in the past.

Taking delivery of a 2020 Keystone Bullet 291RLS in a week, but this thread now has me a little nervous. I guess I made need to do some preventative work if nothing has changed with the design.

Would a heavy coat of truck bed liner or undercoating help this at all?
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #127
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
New member here, new to trailer, not new to RV'ing. Have had several motorhomes in the past.

Taking delivery of a 2020 Keystone Bullet 291RLS in a week, but this thread now has me a little nervous. I guess I made need to do some preventative work if nothing has changed with the design.

Others can chime in, but my understanding is that the 2020s have had design changes that *should* make them less susceptible to the problems that plagued the 2016-2019 units.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #128
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Others can chime in, but my understanding is that the 2020s have had design changes that *should* make them less susceptible to the problems that plagued the 2016-2019 units.
Thanks for the feedback. Was wondering if that may be the case, but will contact my dealer tomorrow to see if they have any updated information.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #129
Jstevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCARLTON View Post

Just curious how you went about having them buy yours back? I am located in Nova Scotia Canada and they want to ship our 2018 243bhs back to Indiana for this floor replacement. And we are crazy nervous as it’s a 6000km round trip on the unit. Really just want to get out of it and into a new one.
Jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #130
danf

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Was wondering if that may be the case, but will contact my dealer tomorrow to see if they have any updated information.

IIRC, the move to the plastic floor was mid year. So depending, you could get one with the older cardboard floor. If you look under the apron up at the floor, for example in the wheel well, and see darco, you have a cardboard floor. There is no darco on the plastic floor. If you see black plastic, you have a plastic floor.

I would not accept one with a cardboard floor.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #131
Carrottop

Was this primarily an issue with the bullets? I have been reading all these horror stories and keep checking the floor of our Passport for soft spots but have not found any. Ours is a 2017 and fingers crossed have not had any water intrusion issues.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #132
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf View Post
IIRC, the move to the plastic floor was mid year. So depending, you could get one with the older cardboard floor. If you look under the apron up at the floor, for example in the wheel well, and see darco, you have a cardboard floor. There is no darco on the plastic floor. If you see black plastic, you have a plastic floor.

I would not accept one with a cardboard floor.
Thanks for the information. I talked to the salesman and of course he has not heard of this issue, nor had the service manager, go figure.

I gave him the information and asked him to check and send me a picture.

Unfortunately, I am in S Carolina and can not look at it as its in Oregon. My wife and son are goin to look at it next Monday and I will give them this information along with my pre purchase check list which is getting longer by the minute

Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #133
danf

Here's a video with the new floor showing the squeaks. This is by far the most annoying problem. This is in front of the sink.

Can't post a long enough video. Hopefully this works.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_7291a.zip (46.0 KB, 205 views)
Old 08-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #134
Beemer Phil

Was this flooring issue for one particular model or was it all trailers built in certain years? What was the complaint that resulted in the floors being replaced? I have a 2018 2920BH travel trailer. Do periodic roof inspections but did have one small leak under the bathroom sink. After close inspection I found the leak to be the outside water connection for the black tank flush. I also found the connection under the sink for the flush was not tight and water leaked down the outside wall and found a way to get under the vinyl. I cut a flap in the vinyl to insure everything dried out. The only thing that was damaged was the paper they cover the floor with prior to the vinyl going down.
Beemer Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #135
08quadram

Quote:

The 291rls is a new model in 2020. I don't think they made any with the crap flooring material. I believe they were/ all made with the new hyper-deck.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #136
BrooksFam

Good to know

Old 08-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #137
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Is my 2015 Bullet somehow different than the 2016 and up?
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #138
mikec557

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I read a couple comments saying the floor is "cardboard". Is it not in fact luan? Luan being an actual wood product similar to a very thin layer of plywood.

Regarding the plastic flooring layers that took the place of luan, our 2020 Cougar 26RBSWE was made in 10/2019. We have the darco covered luan. I don't know when Keystone began using the new plastic.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #139
DCARLTON

I can't wait to hear the cause. My 30RIPR is an opposing slide with an island in the middle. The damage on mine was behind the island, in the middle of the room, no water source around and hard to believe that water came from the tires. Someone I met on Facebook with the exact same model, his was in front of the island, in the middle of the room, no where near a water source.
Georgia
Old 08-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #140
DCARLTON

The floor is a fiber board, almost like cardboard, on top of an aluminum frame, with styrofoam then a fiber board on the bottom. It's not luan, if it was, it would have held up better. When water comes in contact with this stuff, it slowly disintegrates, and the foam wicks it to the top layer.
Georgia

Tags
bullet, floor