Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2023, 10:25 PM   #1
PMizzi

Off Grid

I have a new 2023 Cougar fifth wheel 29RLI. We have used for one month all good. I parked it in storage left the battery disconnect on and solar on. The battery is charging.

However I just check on it and the interior lights will not come on. When I plug it it in to live or truck everything starts up . I then take it off truck or live land line stays on then next day when check it it is all off and battery with solar staying charged. I thought it would run on batteries automatically. Am I doing something wrong?
PMizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 05:40 AM   #2
foldbak

First confirm you battery disconnect is in the on position. Second load test the battery and see if it's holding a charge. You can get one at any auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1V8TZG...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:17 AM   #3
PMizzi

Off Grid

Thanks. The disconnect is on and internal board showing holding at 12 volts when plugged in for a few minutes and taken off. However I will double check with volt meter. They are dragon fly batteries. Hopefully dealership will do an exchange as they are brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
First confirm you battery disconnect is in the on position. Second load test the battery and see if it's holding a charge. You can get one at any auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1V8TZG...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 07-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If your plugged into shore power and the internal board will show voltage, it should read over 13VDC. something isnt right. check your disconnect switch and use a volt meter AT THE BATTERY when plugged in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:47 AM   #5
foldbak

I didn't realize they were lithium. You have a BMS. I believe the BMS allows you to select the state of the batteries? Charge and discharge enable or disable. Mine have this feature. Check you BMS settings. Mine are not dragonfly they're SOB.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 08:18 AM   #6
PMizzi

Looks like batteries not holding charge. Called in for a technician to test system. Thanks
Old 07-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
Sean D

If for whatever reason your battery voltage dropped below 10.2 volts while in storage. You will need to “jump start” then again or plug them into shore power or generator and hope they are still good.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
HeadHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
If for whatever reason your battery voltage dropped below 10.2 volts while in storage. You will need to “jump start” then again or plug them into shore power or generator and hope they are still good.
Dragonfly batteries will internally disconnect when the voltage drops. If they have disconnected internally, they will test as bad. They need to charged with a 12 volt source to wake them up again. If they did discharge that much, I would check your charging circuits, including the solar panels if so equipped.

Good news is they are guaranteed for 10 years.
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:43 PM   #9
PMizzi

Thanks now here is the terrible news! Bought it brand new in Canada Alberta and am in British Columbia on holidays and keystone dealers will not service because not bought from BC . So my colleagues out there beware! We are leaving for USA next week and I will have to deal with that while I am traveling to Florida. Fortunately I will be hooking up to land. I also Hope I will find a dealer that will replace them for us.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:50 PM   #10
PMizzi

Keystone buyers beware on Canada

If you are buying a Keystone in Canada buyer beware not all dealers will provide warranty service even if they sell keystone unless you bought it from them.

I just dropped 100k on a new rig now dealers in BC are refusing to service Products they sell because we did not buy from them; Fraserway RV is an example. Absolutely appalling as their license should be pulled.

If anyone has Keystone RV dealer that will do warranty work for me in Core d’alene or Spokane let me know as I will be there August 1. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2023, 05:02 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMizzi View Post
If you are buying a Keystone in Canada buyer beware not all dealers will provide warranty service even if they sell keystone unless you bought it from them.

I just dropped 100k on a new rig now dealers in BC are refusing to service Products they sell because we did not buy from them; Fraserway RV is an example. Absolutely appalling as their license should be pulled.

If anyone has Keystone RV dealer that will do warranty work for me in Core d’alene or Spokane let me know as I will be there August 1. Thanks!
This quite common in the states as well. The issue is more Keystone's fualt IMO. Keystone doesn't pay much per hour nor do they allow much time for warranty repair. This often creates a situation where the dealer looses money doing wattanty work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #12
PMizzi

Thank you again. Lithium I guess are a little different. Jump start fixed it and back to normal. I guess old dogs can learn new items. Now I know what to do.

Off onto the next adventure!
Old 07-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #13
Sean D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMizzi View Post
Thank you again. Lithium I guess are a little different. Jump start fixed it and back to normal. I guess old dogs can learn new items. Now I know what to do.

Off onto the next adventure!
Good news! This happened to me over night I had all the slides out and was leaving the next morning. That will make you panic.
Old 07-24-2023, 12:40 PM   #14
HeadHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This quite common in the states as well. The issue is more Keystone's fualt IMO. Keystone doesn't pay much per hour nor do they allow much time for warranty repair. This often creates a situation where the dealer looses money doing wattanty work.
I agree. I bought my rig from a dealer 3 hours away, Keystone told me I could take it to any local dealer and have it serviced. They told me the same thing, they get reimbursed at $50 and hour but charge $139 or more for service work. So tying up technicians for extended periods costs them money. that they didn't get on the sale of the unit.
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote