Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Greysquirrel

Atwood Refrigerator not working.

Went out and plugged in my 19FBPR to go on a trip tomorrow and went to start the fridge. Instead of going on automatic and AC it came up with a check light and a flashing gas light. The mode button does not do anything when I push it so I cannot get it to go to AC.
This happened once before but finally went to AC. Got a feeling I am SOL and it is something wrong with the board behind the controls and even if it does go on I will take it to the dealer when I come back.
In the meantime does anyone have any idea of what I might do. I have unplugged the fridge for a minute to see if it will recycle have also turned it on and off a number of times to purge any air in the gas line in case that is the problem.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
jsmith948

Is your propane tank open? If your fridge won't work on shore power you should be able to use it on gas?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

From the symptoms you say you have, checking the owner's manual indicates the refrigerator is operating normally.
In the block diagram that explains troubleshooting, it says, CHECK LIGHT ON, GAS LIGHT FLASHING: gas unavailable.... In the explanation of gas operation, it explains that if the refrigerator has not been used recently, the gas lines may have air in them and it may take up to 3 ignition sequences to ignite the gas burner. To reset the ignition sequence, turn the refrigerator off, then back on.

From the troubleshooting guide, if the CHECK light is on and either the GAS or AC LED is flashing, that energy source is not available. It's possible that either you didn't turn off the refrigerator the last time you unplugged shore power and stored the RV, so when you plugged it in, it immediately turned on and selected the last source (GAS) which failed to light.....

Here is the direct quote from the Atwood manual:

MANUAL MODES
The manual modes allow for selection of either the AC or GAS modes directly. If the selected mode’s energy source is not available, the refrigerator is turned off, the CHECK is turned on and the selected mode indicator flashes on and off indicating which energy source is not available.

It appears that you selected "GAS" and you were plugged into shore power ??? On the Norcold and Dometic reefers, if you do that, they will just select AC and keep on working. Atwood won't keep working. If you select GAS and it won't light, even if you are hooked to shore power, according to the manual, the refrigerator will turn off and the check light will light and the GAS light will flash indicating that GAS is not available. Apparently the Atwood is not "smart enough" (or is too smart) and won't choose AC, but will tell you that GAS isn't available (actually, it's saying the GAS didn't light)..... So, if you are hooked up to shore power, turn it off, wait a minute or so, then turn it back on and select AC. If that doesn't work, then check the circuit breaker, the GFI for that circuit and check the fuses in the back of the refrigerator. It should then work, if not, what you have appears to be a problem with the 115 VAC power to the refrigerator.

If you can't find your owner's manual, you can download it here: (PART 1) http://www.atwoodmobile.com/dealer-m...nual_rev_4.pdf (PART 2) http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...r_Manual_6.pdf

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Greysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
From the symptoms you say you have, checking the owner's manual indicates the refrigerator is operating normally.
In the block diagram that explains troubleshooting, it says, CHECK LIGHT ON, GAS LIGHT FLASHING: gas unavailable.... In the explanation of gas operation, it explains that if the refrigerator has not been used recently, the gas lines may have air in them and it may take up to 3 ignition sequences to ignite the gas burner. To reset the ignition sequence, turn the refrigerator off, then back on.

From the troubleshooting guide, if the CHECK light is on and either the GAS or AC LED is flashing, that energy source is not available. It's possible that either you didn't turn off the refrigerator the last time you unplugged shore power and stored the RV, so when you plugged it in, it immediately turned on and selected the last source (GAS) which failed to light.....

Here is the direct quote from the Atwood manual:

MANUAL MODES
The manual modes allow for selection of either the AC or GAS modes directly. If the selected mode’s energy source is not available, the refrigerator is turned off, the CHECK is turned on and the selected mode indicator flashes on and off indicating which energy source is not available.

It appears that you selected "GAS" and you were plugged into shore power ??? On the Norcold and Dometic reefers, if you do that, they will just select AC and keep on working. Atwood won't keep working. If you select GAS and it won't light, even if you are hooked to shore power, according to the manual, the refrigerator will turn off and the check light will light and the GAS light will flash indicating that GAS is not available. Apparently the Atwood is not "smart enough" (or is too smart) and won't choose AC, but will tell you that GAS isn't available (actually, it's saying the GAS didn't light)..... So, if you are hooked up to shore power, turn it off, wait a minute or so, then turn it back on and select AC. If that doesn't work, then check the circuit breaker, the GFI for that circuit and check the fuses in the back of the refrigerator. It should then work, if not, what you have appears to be a problem with the 115 VAC power to the refrigerator.

If you can't find your owner's manual, you can download it here: (PART 1) http://www.atwoodmobile.com/dealer-m...nual_rev_4.pdf (PART 2) http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...r_Manual_6.pdf

Good luck,
Have read the manual and have everything you suggest. When the gas light is flashing the MODE button does not work so I am unable to switch to AC.
I have gas, checked the AC to fridge, 123 VAC, check the DC 13.78.
This happened a couple of weeks ago also but then started to work and worked OK for whole trip, going from AC to Gas and back and then from Gas to AC and the back to Gas on way home. The one thing we did do that you mentioned is turn in off while it was still in the Gas mode but we did turn if off. As we were leaving again in a week I did not take it to the dealer and intend to after this trip.
My gut feeling is that it is a problem with the PCB behind the switches but I am not a fridge tech so I will leave that to someone that know what they are doing and as it is still under warranty I am not to concerned, just wish it would start up so I don't have to get dry ice for the trip, but if that what I have to do so be it.
Thanks for the reply, if you think of anything else please let me know.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Greysquirrel

OK, beats the hell out of me, just went out to put some more stuff in the fridge, have put dry Ice in the freezer and it has cooled the fridge down operating temp, but as I was out there I thought I would hit the power switch one more time and low a behold it went right to AC like it did the last time it would not work. It will probable work for our whole trip but when I get back I am taking it to the dealer to have them check it out. They are booked up till July 26 but I can leave it there because we are not going anywhere till Sept. we do not travel in August, too hot for us.
When I get it back if it is something simple that I could have fixed myself I will post it here but will also post if it some kind of problem they are having with this fridge.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
GaryWT

Glad it started working for you but it is strange. You would think that it would work on gas if the electric was not working. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysquirrel View Post
OK, beats the hell out of me, just went out to put some more stuff in the fridge, have put dry Ice in the freezer and it has cooled the fridge down operating temp, but as I was out there I thought I would hit the power switch one more time and low a behold it went right to AC like it did the last time it would not work. It will probable work for our whole trip but when I get back I am taking it to the dealer to have them check it out. They are booked up till July 26 but I can leave it there because we are not going anywhere till Sept. we do not travel in August, too hot for us.
When I get it back if it is something simple that I could have fixed myself I will post it here but will also post if it some kind of problem they are having with this fridge.
Hey Greysquirrel, I have a Atwood fridge in my 2013 Passport 3220 that is now acting like yours. It will not switch from gas to AC. The check light comes on and the gas light flashes instantly. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I hate to go to the dealer, but will if I have too.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
pzamora

atwood refrigerators are complete junk. I have a 2015 Hideout and the refridgerator went out after 16 months or after 4 uses. I got it late 2015 and here we winterize and store our trailers for about 9 months out of the year. On my 4th or so use, it would not switch to AC and run only on propane. I took it into the Dealer (Big Country RV) with a terrible service dept, and it took 6 weeks to get it in. Once I did get it in their report said the circuit board and AC heating element went out and charged me $60 for that stupid report. I already knew that. Then the fix would be $1000. Since they had it so long it went out of warranty and would not fix it. I contacted Atwood and they only said too bad, it's out of warranty. I then went back to the sales man and the Service Dept and they both literally laughed at me and said, oh you got the Atwood. Those are known to be junk; and too bad. Want a new trailer? They new the Atwood Helium Series were all junk and they said it wasn't their problem. So now I have a travel trailer with a propane sucking fridge. We are selling this Keystone Hideout and going with another brand with no Atwood appliances. Dometic all the way. Our last old camper and trailer both had dometic and they were rock solid. Atwood your products and service are not worth the trouble. Sorry if you're in the same boat.
pzamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysquirrel View Post
Went out and plugged in my 19FBPR to go on a trip tomorrow and went to start the fridge. Instead of going on automatic and AC it came up with a check light and a flashing gas light. The mode button does not do anything when I push it so I cannot get it to go to AC.
This happened once before but finally went to AC. Got a feeling I am SOL and it is something wrong with the board behind the controls and even if it does go on I will take it to the dealer when I come back.
In the meantime does anyone have any idea of what I might do. I have unplugged the fridge for a minute to see if it will recycle have also turned it on and off a number of times to purge any air in the gas line in case that is the problem.

I have the same thing happening to mine have you had any problems after they changed the power board.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
campertime

How long does it take these new helium fridges to cool on LP? The old Jayco took about three hours but this new fridge in our Passport has been on for three hours and doesn't feel cold at all.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
campertime

OK freezer is COLD, fridge is cool. Been about 5 hours now.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Rudeswoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by campertime View Post
OK freezer is COLD, fridge is cool. Been about 5 hours now.
Did you ever get your fridge to cool down to the correct temperature?? How long did it take?? I have a 2014 Hideout and having same problems.
Rudeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
campertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeswoman View Post
Did you ever get your fridge to cool down to the correct temperature?? How long did it take?? I have a 2014 Hideout and having same problems.
Propane on, Set fridge to auto, All blue bars lit up, Trailer level?

Yes ours finally got cold. took about 6 hours
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Rudeswoman

2104 Keystone Hideout Refrigerator trouble

Hello, I have a 214 Keystone Hideout with a Atwood Helium fridge. We camped for the first time this weekend. It took an extremely long time to cool down. Never seemed like the fridge got appropriatly cool. It was cool, but not cold. Has anyone had any troubles with theirs? We let it cool down over night before we put food in it, roughly 22 hrs. Maybe in expecting it to be as cold as my house fridge? Asking too much maybe?
Rudeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you adjusting the temp to the coldest setting? IIRC all the blue bars lit is the coldest.

If you look inside the refer, there should be a plastic bulb looking thing attached to the cooling fins. Moving it up should make it colder.

RV refers are absorption refers, meaning the fins in the fridge "absorb" the heat. Back in '08 I discovered they make fans for the inside of the fridge. Runs on 2 D cell batteries and WOW what a difference.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear your having issues with the refer. About the only thing I would suggest is to pull the fuse and throw the breaker so ALL power is removed. Leave it off for a few minutes and then try again. If it still fails, then it probably needs to be taken in for further tests. It could be the control board and any decent RV service center should have the tester.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #17
Carmen D

Second Trip out This Year 2015

Our second trip out this year and we pull the Pass Port to the house to plug in and the refrigerator freezer is not agreeing with the AC. As soon as I touch the power the "check" light comes on and stays on and the "gas" starts blinking (and chirping). This sounds like a problem with Atwood and Keystone and they aren't listening. We are suppose to leave on Monday but if that Atwood doesn't start working, the dealer ship is going to have it and deal with warranty work.
What to do next? I have read this whole thread and nothing has worked for us but irritate my DH.

Thanks for any advise,
Carmen
Texas Hill Country
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Is the refer set to "automatic" ? If not then it's going to look for LP and if there isn't any pressure in the line, you'll get the check light.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
wolfee240

We have a attwood fridge in our Passport. We had issues with it not cooling all the time. It would work here and there. After weeks of beating my head on the wall i found out is that the camper had to be perfectly level for the fridge to work correctly. It the bubble is off center by a little bit on a 4' level the fridge would not stay cold. If the bubble is perfectly center the fridge works great. I just make sure the camper is perfectly level and i don't have a problem. I hope that helps with your problem
wolfee240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #20
Charby

I agree with the level trick. I also manually turn frig off between cycles to AC and Gas as it doesn't like the auto switching for some reason. I got stuck once after it did not switch from AC to Gas when unplugged.

Tags
greysquirrel