Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2023, 05:04 AM   #1

Toilet leak question

Springdale 220RD, 2021 model. Dometic flush toilet, but I don't know the model number of it.
There is a small fresh water leak where the fresh water connection to the toilet is. its a small drip, and it is not coming from the black connector, but from the larger, white plastic connector to the base of the toilet itself. It does not feel like the connection is loose, or can be tightened as I tried that. The picture shows a drop of water coming out of it if you look carefully. leaks about a pint a day.
Any ideas on a fix for this? thanks in advance for any help you can give!
(Sorry the picture is sideways!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230320_093229115_HDR.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	43480  

"You become a part of it, then it becomes a part of YOU"
305940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:42 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305940 View Post
Springdale 220RD, 2021 model. Dometic flush toilet, but I don't know the model number of it.
There is a small fresh water leak where the fresh water connection to the toilet is. its a small drip, and it is not coming from the black connector, but from the larger, white plastic connector to the base of the toilet itself. It does not feel like the connection is loose, or can be tightened as I tried that. The picture shows a drop of water coming out of it if you look carefully. leaks about a pint a day.
Any ideas on a fix for this? thanks in advance for any help you can give!
(Sorry the picture is sideways!)
That appears to be the water valve, which can be replaced. You need to verify the exact model, but the part looks to be the same for the Dometic 300, 310 and 320 series.

Below is a video link on how to replace:

markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

From the location of what appears to be the leak it looks like the water valve may have cracked as Mark mentioned. That black connector also has a cone washer under it I believe. If it is tightened down crooked it will leak like you are experiencing - btdt. Also, from the location of that drip, have you checked the water line on top? Lying proned with a flashlight and patience might help you find the location of the leak....or just replace it all;

Cut the incoming pex, install a 1/4 turn cutoff valve (sharkbite), put a residential supply hose from the valve to the inlet on the toilet water valve AFTER you have put in a new water valve. A fun hour or two and hopefully no more leaks. I carry a spare water valve in my spares box just in case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two "common issues" with the Dometic Toilet Valve. Since we are just now coming out of "winter storage" and you live in an area where the temperatures do fall below freezing, I'd first suspect your toilet valve may have frozen and the leak is a result of that damage. There's a "raised bump" on the valve body that will indicate the "freeze damage". If that bump is raised, it's a "non warranty issue" but thankfully the valve is only about $15. I only use OEM toilet valves, but there are several "cheaper to buy" valves available on Amazon. I can't say whether they are "as good as" or "better than" the OEM, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.....

The other "common issue" is the installation of that valve. It "snaps into the toilet body" and often Dometic will only install 1 screw to hold it in place. There are two screw holes and "two is better than one" generally applies. So, if your toilet "freeze bump" is not bulging out, count the screws. If there's only one, pull it out (after turning the water to the toilet off) and find another screw the same size and then install both. That "should fix your toilet valve leak". If it doesn't, I'd buy a replacement valve anyway, as there may be an internal failure which, if you want to spend the time and effort, might be a "warranty item".... Only you know whether your time is worth the small price of the valve.

Here's a photo from the owner's manual for the toilet showing the "freeze bump". You can also see the two slots where the screws are placed....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC TOILET VALVE FREEZE DAMAGE.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	43481  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:56 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

You can find valves online pretty cheap. You may find that the original only has one screw holding the valve in place on the toilet, but the replacement valves come with two (use both).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:21 PM   #6
IRV2

Water valve moves

I have an issue with my 310. When I push the pedal to flush, the water valve moves and doesn’t flush. If I reach down and hold it the toilet will flush. Could I be missing a screw or the clips I see in the picture? It doesn’t leak. TIA

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:29 PM   #7
IRV2

After watching the video I know what to do now. I’ll turn water off and check the see if I’m missing those tabs…..thank for posting the video��

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:30 PM   #8
bobbecky

Our first 310 worked great the first couple of years, then began to flush weird. Turns out, from the factory, they failed to install the screws that retains the valve and the plastic clips were the only thing holding the valve in the toilet. I was going to buy a replacement valve, but on Amazon, the photo showed a couple of screws. I got a mirror out and found the two locations where the screws were supposed to be. I found a couple sheet metal screws in my tool box and installed them. It pulled the valve back into where it was supposed to be and started working properly again.
https://www.amazon.com/Halotronics-I...45&sr=8-8&th=1
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #9
harris71

Low water pressure can cause a leaky valve

This is a different leak but related to the Dometic. We've had the 320 in our last two Montanas. A few years ago we noticed a slight leak under the flush pedal. It seemed to come and go so we managed it with a folded paper towel on the floor. During one extended stay, it was leaking so I replaced the inlet valve, thinking it may have frozen over the winter. The leak seemed to stop.

It started leaking again this year on the second trip. I did notice that the water pressure was lower than usual (but it varies from campground to campground). Normally when you flush and then lift up on the pedal, there's a "thump" when the valve closes. This trip it was relatively quiet. I tried adjusting the pressure on our our regulator and notice the regulator gauge would change in either direction. I removed it (to replace later) and the toilet went back to "thumping when you release the pedal. Also, it stopped leaking. My theory is that if there is insufficient water pressure, the valve will not re-seat completely when released. When I replaced it a couple years ago, it was new enough to not be affected by low pressure. Over time, it wears a little so will fail to seat under low water pressure.
harris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:01 PM   #10
Broo

I had this same problem. Long story much shorter….the pex feed line was a bit short and putting enough strain on the 90 degree connector that it wasn’t 90 degrees anymore. I disconnected the pex from the 90 degree fitting and managed to pull a bit on the feed line to gain a little length. Reattached everything and haven’t had a drip since. Not saying it will work for you but just another thing to try.
Broo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:39 PM   #11
Richeyb

You should be able to find the model of the Dometic toilet on the rear of the toilet. If you can’t see it try taking a picture of the backside of the toilet. Once you have the model nu,ber you can google and fins the correct valve to replace.
Richeyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet