Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Well...........OK.

I've watched that video a number of times; still impressed how that "inspector" that you see on George's and Jasin's posts keeps those nails so pretty going over, under, around and through every RV turning on/off everything that can be turned off and on or wired/connected etc. Yeah....OK. Crawling under that RV for the "SECOND PDI"....OK. Matt seems like a nice guy but probably ought to observe that quality control from an end product to make sure it comes out like he thinks it does. At least that promotional video instilled a world of confidence in me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #42
KeystoneKal

Just a comment about quality control in automobile manufacturing. Back in the 50s when QC In American automobiles was lacking, the manufacturers were approached by W Edwards Deming an engineer and statistician. They weren’t interested with what he had to say so he went to Post War Japan. The Japanese embraced his philosophy of QC in manufacturing. The Japanese auto buyer demanded quality and they got it. Once Japanese cars increased market share the Big Three became interested.
No Japanese RV manufacturers. Any RV brand that has a reputation for quality?
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #43
Bbartley78

Nailed it

Several of you have exactly nailed the problem. We all keep buying the damn things knowing that we are going to experience these issues and then we all work on them ourselves because the dealerships are so horrible. This all falls back on us as consumers. If we all as the final buyers just said NO for one season and let these substandard units sit on the dealers lots and grow old. Things would change very quickly. But if you are any of the manufacturers and are selling every single unit fater than you can build them, why in the heck you you bother with QC or better materials and appliances and axels and wheels and tires and suspensions? If we all used an RV Inspector on every unit (no I'm not an inspector) required the dealers to have shore power hooked up, appliances turned on, refrigerators cold, city water connected, batteries charged, LP filled and then had the inspector arrive the day prior to the unit delivery and take as much time as they need to go over the unit completly and have the dealer fix every item on the inspectors report BEFORE we sign te final papers and transfer any $$$. Our leverage as buyers ends the moment we hand over the money. I'm just as guilty, we purchased our last camper and paid for it before we did the walk through and that took less than 30 minutes. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb on my part. It's up to us as buyers.
Bbartley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #44
J Church

On my factory tour the air powered grease gun was next to the axle assembly line. The line wasn't running.
J Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #45
J Church

You are on the mark with this statement, and I couldn't agree more. We had a 2006 Grand Junction 335TRL that after ten years I had all working well. The problem was that DW has always wanted a Montana and all the new bells and whistles sounded pretty good. If it wasn't for the folks on these sites and the fact that I have an extensive back ground in mechanics (Automotive to Aircraft A&P license.) I would dig a big hole and invite the Press to watch me bury this pig. We love the RV but hate the way we have been treated by LazyDays in Tampa and Keystone. If I can figure out how to post pics you will see a few of the things I'm talking about.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #46
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church View Post
You are on the mark with this statement, and I couldn't agree more. We had a 2006 Grand Junction 335TRL that after ten years I had all working well. The problem was that DW has always wanted a Montana and all the new bells and whistles sounded pretty good. If it wasn't for the folks on these sites and the fact that I have an extensive back ground in mechanics (Automotive to Aircraft A&P license.) I would dig a big hole and invite the Press to watch me bury this pig. We love the RV but hate the way we have been treated by LazyDays in Tampa and Keystone. If I can figure out how to post pics you will see a few of the things I'm talking about.
To post a picture, go down below the response dialog box to ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and click the Manage Attachments button. You will be able to scroll to an image file on your computer; click on it and then push insert.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #47
J Church

"C:\Users\barbi\Downloads\archive\IMG_3148.JPG "
"C:\Users\barbi\Downloads\archive\IMG_3149.JPG "
"C:\Users\barbi\Downloads\archive\IMG_3152.JPG "

Pics of the misaligned awning that Lazydays left the screw out so fabric was free to slide back or forward. I moved the forward attachment arm forward to allow more clearance and secured the fabric at both ends per the install instruction from Dometic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3148.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	33724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	33725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3152.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	33726  
Old 05-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church View Post
On my factory tour the air powered grease gun was next to the axle assembly line. The line wasn't running.
The "air powered grease gun" is there to grease the wet bolts when the springs are hung. The factory does not grease the axle hubs.

J Church,

You're so very right... It's very much like the "party drinker" who wakes up every morning with a hangover, as he's hanging over the toilet to upchuck last night's binge, he swears that was the last drink he'll ever take.... Then, at 4PM, when his buddies start talking about happy hour, his "no way" becomes, "Well maybe just one" and the cycle resumes.....

Like you, I'm starting to look at new fifth wheels. Mine is in excellent condition, I know that whatever I buy will start the "fix and repair and mod and upgrade" cycle all over again.... Even though my "logical brain" is telling me that I don't want to start all over again, my "emotional brain" is saying, "Awe, come on, just one more time".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, quality