Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroinfidel View Post
I bought a used 2009 Everest, and the dealer told me that the bearings had just been repacked. I put 20,000 miles on it, and when I took them for a repack in Yuma, the mechanic said they looked fine and didn't need it. Not sure why wheel bearings in cars and pickups are usually good for at the very least 50,000 miles, yet we consider repacking the RV wheel bearings as low as every 5000 miles. Lack of use in the off season maybe? But wouldn't everything stay coated with grease and not corrode even if sitting all winter?

Dean
In addition, the bearing/race "technology" is the same technology that was incorporated on the 1950 Chevrolet B210 sedan. Cars and trucks have advanced "leaps and bounds" since 1950, but with the exception of the metal alloys used, your trailer bearings are essentially the same "high tech engineering" as the front wheel bearings in your grandfather's (or great grandfather's) old Chevy "tudor" with the wool seat covers. Back then, wheelbearings were packed annually or every 12,000 miles and failure rates were much greater than most of us care to remember.

You simply can't compare the wheel bearings on a modern vehicle to the "old type bearings" on a travel trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance