Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Desertjeeper760

Dometic AC help

I have a 2017 keystone hideout 26lhs cold weather edition.
Thought I'd try and get some feedback before calling a repair tech.
So my AC works great when the temperature outside is below 100 degrees but any hotter and it cycles off and on and never gets the trailer cool. Just hoping someone had a similar issue and might know a fix. I'm pretty handy so thought I'd see what everyone has to say before I do anything. Thanks
Desertjeeper760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's "cycling on and off in greater than 100F temperatures" I'd first think of two possibilities:

1. It's at the upper limit of what it can do and as the compressor temperature rises, the thermal protection cuts in to shut the compressor off to protect it from over heating...

2. It's a control system/thermostat issue. On some newer trailers with the control box in the rooftop unit and controlled by the In-Command system, there is/was an issue where the system would fail to start if the ambient temps were below 40F or above 100F. Once the system is turned on and operating, I'm not aware of a "ambient temp issue" but I also haven't heard of anyone "operating their air conditioner and experiencing inadequate cooling that allows the system to rise above that "system limitation issue", so you might be the "first to see those conditions....

At any rate, if the system is shutting down at temps above 100F, then there's a problem and you need to have it addressed. It may be that simply the A/C is too small to keep up or it could be a control/thermostat issue or it could be a low freon charge or even an evaporator/condensor cooling fin blockage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
ChuckS

Most likely you have a bad gateway in that AC unit...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53026-9999.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
Texas Steve

Jeeper, I have a similar TT to yours (202 LHS) with the 13.5K A/C unit and find that it has a difficult time in cooling above 100 degrees. I plan on upgrading to the 15K unit in the future. I have taken off the interior cover and taped everything to ensure that the most amount of conditioned air hits the inside of the TT. Mine has not cycled on / off like you describe, so you may have another issue like what John described. You might remove the cover on the roof and check the coils for dirt and clean as necessary and also clean the filters inside.

EDIT: Is yours a Coleman Mach? Is it thermostat controlled or manual?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
Jeeper, I have a similar TT to yours (202 LHS) with the 13.5K A/C unit and find that it has a difficult time in cooling above 100 degrees. I plan on upgrading to the 15K unit in the future. I have taken off the interior cover and taped everything to ensure that the most amount of conditioned air hits the inside of the TT. Mine has not cycled on / off like you describe, so you may have another issue like what John described. You might remove the cover on the roof and check the coils for dirt and clean as necessary and also clean the filters inside.

EDIT: Is yours a Coleman Mach? Is it thermostat controlled or manual?
I replaced the 13.5K BTU Dometic in my old Cougar with a 15K and the swap won't blow your socks off. I corrected the sealing in the vents and on the inside unit and put in 80 percent tint in the windows. I also use a 14K btu portable that exhausts out a window via a fitting I fabricated and our camper stays nice and cool in triple digits. I also have an old analog wall thermostat control that plugged into the old control in the downstairs part and thus I don't have to worry about all that in-command fun many experience or a digital thermostat which also has been know to be problematic.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #6
Desertjeeper760

Thanks alot guys. Now I have somewhere to start.
I'm not sure what you mean by Coleman Mach but mine is thermostat controlled for sure. It never did this till about a year ago. Now we rarely use it in the summer unless we go somewhere cool. I'd like to get this issue resolved before summer. Looks like I'll be looking into a RV AC repair company.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Coleman-Mach is a division of Airxcel. They make A/C units, thermostats and other products. https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #8
Desertjeeper760

Is that any affiliation with Domestic cause I'm pretty sure that's what brand the one I have is.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertjeeper760 View Post
Is that any affiliation with Domestic cause I'm pretty sure that's what brand the one I have is.
No, that would be Dometic, not Domestic. Your spelling correction will change Dometic to Domestic unless you add Dometic to the dictionary. Here's Dometic's web site. https://www.dometic.com/en-us
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic