Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
AndyK

CO detector alarm

I have a 2670bh. We went camping this weekend, and when I picked up the trailer I turned on the propane and the fridge to gas to get it cooling down. Get home to load up and hear chirping. Turn off propane, air out camper, reset detector and all is good. I just didn’t use propane inside the camper. I know I have a leak or a bad vent. How can I access the vent to check that out?
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Was the battery about dead when you picked up the trailer? The detector will chirp when the battery voltage is low enough.

How do you know you have a leak or bad vent?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Hold on......was it the CO detector high up on the wall or the propane gas detector mounted near the floor?

The CO detector, just like at home, same as a smoke detector will chirp when the battery needs replacing. The CO detector when triggered will ALARM, not chirp.

The gas leak detector operates off the RV battery and if power is low may chirp, but also if the gas detector is at it’s end of life (3-5 years old depending on what it says on the label) it will also chirp to signal time to replace.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
AndyK

Propane gas detector

Ok, so I guess it was a propane gas detector near the floor. It gave 4 beeps which the manual says is an alarm. Didn’t smell like propane but didn’t want to take chances so left propane closed all weekend.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
AndyK

Read the manual. 4 beeps is an alarm. Battery could be low but believe there is a different sequence of beeps for that. Will check manual. Probably a propane leak but it didn’t smell like propane.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
AndyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Hold on......was it the CO detector high up on the wall or the propane gas detector mounted near the floor?

The CO detector, just like at home, same as a smoke detector will chirp when the battery needs replacing. The CO detector when triggered will ALARM, not chirp.

The gas leak detector operates off the RV battery and if power is low may chirp, but also if the gas detector is at it’s end of life (3-5 years old depending on what it says on the label) it will also chirp to signal time to replace.
Also, the light was red indicating alarm. After turning off propane and allowing it to air out, light turned green and stayed green all weekend.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post

There combo units:

https://www.amazon.com/MTI-INDUSTRIE...38980790&psc=1

I’ve replaced a few.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The LPG alarm will trigger with any "volatile gas"... Whether it's methane (dogs do pass gas, sometimes near the LPG detector) or a buildup of gas from a leaking can of bug spray, window cleaner or even spray deodorant, they will all trigger the LPG detector to alarm...

There is a list of "gasses that can trigger an alarm" in the owner's manual. I'd suppose that some of them "could" leach out of the cushions, upholstery, walls or even the plastics used to build a trailer. Given that it has been "closed up in storage" for several months, it's possible that an accumulation of "something" occurred during storage and when you applied power to the trailer, it was "just enough to trigger an alarm" even though there was no danger....

At the price of LPG detector units, if there's no indication of a propane leak, I'd monitor it for a trip and, if it works normally, I'd keep using it. After all, the human nose is just as proficient at detecting a propane leak as the LPG detector. That said, if you no longer "trust it" then just get a new one.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #9
travelin texans

I'm with Chuckster on this!
Betting the batteries were low & the CO/LP was signaling that rather than a propane leak. But would grab a spray bottle of soapy water & check all the fittings for peace of mind.
Every rv I've had in the past several years the CO & LP detectors were one unit mounted
near the floor hardwired to the coach batteries & the detector usually has a 5 year lifespan with the manufacture date on the back. The smoke alarm/s were mounted on the ceiling & powered by a 9 volt battery that should be replaced a couple times a year.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote