Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
Monty0814

New Member from PA

Hey everyone. After several years of research and help from forum members, I jumped in with both feet and got a new truck and picked up my Montana 5er. Special shout out to Sourdough for all the above and beyond answering numerous questions and sharing knowledge on trucks and RVs.

Picked up the Montana yesterday and it was quite an adventure. Learned a lot and still have a ways to go. My first time towing anything so the drive home was not bad (just a couple white knuckle moments). We are storing in the back parking lot of a storage facility... the trying to get in, around snow piles and many other RVs, we finally got it tucked in... took close to 2 hours and several frustrating moments but my wife and I finally succeeded.

I have the Pullrite Superglider hitch and for some reason we could not get the handle to unlock. So several attempts and many you tube videos, finally found one that had me pull the two side pins which allowed me to get my truck out and than could pull the top of the hitch off the RV.

LONG day but am so glad to finally have it. Our inaugural trip is later in March for a weekend away.

Thanks for all the help and future help. Will do my best to share my knowledge but today it is minimal and I am a total rookie so in the learning stage now.

My next few weekends will be taking it out to practice backing up, that is scariest part right now.

Ken
2021 Montana 3855BR
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab 4x4 6.7 4.10 DRW
Monty0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on getting it home Ken! Don't worry about the towing; it will all come in time. The wide swings for turns, backing, trailer tracking, handling; all will come in time with practice. Once the snow is gone maybe you can find a place like a parking lot where you can just try turns, backing into slots etc. to get a better feel for it. Feeling worried about it initially is normal, heck I still get that way when I see some of these places we've tried to stay in. Depending on where you are always keep the height in mind. Good luck, have fun and post any questions/concerns you have.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
jim1

Congrats' sounds like a great set up. Find a big open space or parking lot with NO street lights or parking barriers. Put out something visible to back up to or past, take your time, don"t sweat it, get out and check as often as you want and ignore the expert's in the peanut gallery unless they are trying to be helpful. Take your time and you will get the hang of it, practice practice and always get out and check your surroundings. Every time you park will be a new experience, just try to keep it from being an expensive learning experience. Lot's of great info and advice on here! Oh and maybe a bit of humour. Welcome and enjoy!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Cbrez

Congratulations on your new Montana. We love ours and expect you will love yours too.

You need to find the sweet spot to unhitch. First you’ve got to get the height right. Raise the RV until the king pin lifts off the hitch plate. Then lower it slightly until it gently kisses the hitch plate. Then, whatever direction you pulled into your site ( pull thru or back in) go the other direction just enough to free up the handle.

The way we do it, DW pulls on the handle while I creep forward or backwards to release pressure.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
Monty0814

Thanks for the tips... will definitely be practicing in an empty lot over next several weeks and will try those unhitching tips.

Ken
2021 Montana 3855BR
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab 4x4 6.7 4.10 DRW
Monty0814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Gegrad

Welcome to the forum from the other side of Pennsylvania!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:43 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #8
Gary R.

Hello Ken, and welcome to you and your family!

Congrats on the the Montana and an ideal towing rig.

As others have said, in time you will be backing that 5er up with the best of them!

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags