Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Papa of 7

Garmin 890 RV

I have a new Garmin 890 RV, I have set some locations from my home to local places to get familiar with it. I programed my fith wheel 38 ft 13.4 tall. I have tried different settings, but it tries to take me on roads I want take my truck on, besides with a 5th wheel. Also a straight shot down a familiar highway tries to turn me across a bridge to make a circle back to the same intersection. Any suggestions on settings?
GooseBox on a B&W turnoverball
Papa of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa of 7 View Post
I have a new Garmin 890 RV, I have set some locations from my home to local places to get familiar with it. I programed my fith wheel 38 ft 13.4 tall. I have tried different settings, but it tries to take me on roads I want take my truck on, besides with a 5th wheel. Also a straight shot down a familiar highway tries to turn me across a bridge to make a circle back to the same intersection. Any suggestions on settings?
Did you do an update on it?
Old 02-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like you have the setting for "avoid major highways" on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #4
Papa of 7

Yes, I did when I bought it and again today before I took a drive.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Sounds like you have the setting for "avoid major highways" on.
Nope, thought that also!
Old 02-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We don't have that model Garmin, but the ones we do have for motorcycles and offroading have several settings for things like "quickest route", "shortest route" , "no toll roads", etc...

I have the Garmin for the M/C set for shortest route. When we leave the house, heading downstate (toward Detroit) regardless of the destination point, in that general vicinity, it wants to direct me onto dirt/gravel roads on the highway 3 miles from our house... After changing the "shortest route" to the "fastest route" it stopped using the "gravel and dirt shortcuts"...

Yours may have a similar setting that's turning you around to get "back on the shortest route" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
travelin texans

Sounds like the same directions the Waze app uses, 15 turns when 2 would be the shortest.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
bobbecky

We have an older Magellan GPS, and update it frequently, and there are just some areas that it just can't seem to get you on a logical path to your destination. It's not the device but is the programing that is downloaded. Maybe they are using a pigeon to come up with a route, but we double check when in unfamiliar areas. Just the nature of these units. We have a park that we stay at when going through Winnemucca, NV, and the first time we blindly followed the GPS, it took us to a residential area clear on the opposite side of town, and even though, after a number of updates to the device, it still wants to take us to the other side of town, but we know better and just turn it off when we get close. My wife tells me I should divorce the girl in the device, but a new one wouldn't be any better.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
I have the garmin Rv785. I was messing with it the other day and setting up a route south.. you search a location then get directions.. if you add a location it adds it in, but if you hit your end destination first and try and add in places you want to go on the way to the destination,it will mess up the order.. do you have your home address somewhere in the list of places you want to go and it keeps trying to send you back home after you leave?.. maybe don’t save that trip and try and configure a new point A to point B and set your home location separate
Old 02-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #10
Papa of 7

Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We don't have that model Garmin, but the ones we do have for motorcycles and offroading have several settings for things like "quickest route", "shortest route" , "no toll roads", etc...

I have the Garmin for the M/C set for shortest route. When we leave the house, heading downstate (toward Detroit) regardless of the destination point, in that general vicinity, it wants to direct me onto dirt/gravel roads on the highway 3 miles from our house... After changing the "shortest route" to the "fastest route" it stopped using the "gravel and dirt shortcuts"...

Yours may have a similar setting that's turning you around to get "back on the shortest route" ?????
Yes, mine is set on fastest route, no tolls, no ferry, and that's it. I'm sure with time I can tweak it. Thanks
Old 02-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have the garmin Rv785. I was messing with it the other day and setting up a route south.. you search a location then get directions.. if you add a location it adds it in, but if you hit your end destination first and try and add in places you want to go on the way to the destination,it will mess up the order.. do you have your home address somewhere in the list of places you want to go and it keeps trying to send you back home after you leave?.. maybe don’t save that trip and try and configure a new point A to point B and set your home location separate
I do have my home set as home. I will keep trying. Thanks
Old 02-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, mine is set on fastest route, no tolls, no ferry, and that's it. I'm sure with time I can tweak it. Thanks
We have a situation on I-75 coming back from Detroit where the Garmin will direct us to exit I-75 and take US-23 to MI-33 if we select "fastest route" and it will direct us to the dirt roads if we select "shortest route"... Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.... I talked to Garmin Customer Support about it and they shrugged their shoulders after telling me to update to the latest software version... I did that twice, they still don't have an answer... Fortunately we know the correct route (stay on I-75) but Garmin gets lost every trip.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #13
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have a situation on I-75 coming back from Detroit where the Garmin will direct us to exit I-75 and take US-23 to MI-33 if we select "fastest route" and it will direct us to the dirt roads if we select "shortest route"... Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.... I talked to Garmin Customer Support about it and they shrugged their shoulders after telling me to update to the latest software version... I did that twice, they still don't have an answer... Fortunately we know the correct route (stay on I-75) but Garmin gets lost every trip.....
yep, so far I know the roads, just curious what happens in a strange place i never been. I suppose I should back any trip up with a truckers atlas...
Old 02-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
yep, so far I know the roads, just curious what happens in a strange place i never been. I suppose I should back any trip up with a truckers atlas...
If you set up your trips in your 890 then you might go on rv trip wizard and I think it will show all low bridges ..you can check route against that a few times till your comfortable..... you just made me uncomfortable as I am heading south very soon and was pretty confident in the gps up until your post. I haven’t used it on a trip yet
I’m going to run mine against trip wizard for the heck of it
Old 02-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #15
Papa of 7

Quote:
If you set up your trips in your 890 then you might go on rv trip wizard and I think it will show all low bridges ..you can check route against that a few times till your comfortable..... you just made me uncomfortable as I am heading south very soon and was pretty confident in the gps up until your post. I haven’t used it on a trip yet
I’m going to run mine against trip wizard for the heck of it
Sorry about that, backup to the backup i guess!
Old 02-21-2021, 05:42 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Sorry about that, backup to the backup i guess!
No worries.. it’s a good heads up for me
Old 02-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
I do have my home set as home. I will keep trying. Thanks
This is basically the same software.. I found it informative. May help you
Old 02-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Papa of 7

Quote:
This is basically the same software.. I found it informative. May help you
Thanks, I'll take look at it, just landed at Lake Guntersville State Park and just finished setting up..
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #19
Jdavis8981

I had the same issue when I first got mine and I almost returned it. Then I realized that it was having me avoid routes that in my mind weren’t a big deal, but after thinking about it, could see how that wanted me to avoid it. Mostly due to local road construction projects. I’ve used it for a couple camping trips now and have come to rely on it. We had one snafu where I didn’t realize it wasn’t paired with my phone so I didn’t get CalTrans updates on a road closure. Fortunately it was a minor inconvenience and I’ve learned my lesson on that. I’d say stick with it for a few trips and then see what you think. If you’re testing in a heavily populated area like I am, that might be why it steers you down some weird paths.
Jdavis8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
Papa of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdavis8981 View Post
I had the same issue when I first got mine and I almost returned it. Then I realized that it was having me avoid routes that in my mind weren’t a big deal, but after thinking about it, could see how that wanted me to avoid it. Mostly due to local road construction projects. I’ve used it for a couple camping trips now and have come to rely on it. We had one snafu where I didn’t realize it wasn’t paired with my phone so I didn’t get CalTrans updates on a road closure. Fortunately it was a minor inconvenience and I’ve learned my lesson on that. I’d say stick with it for a few trips and then see what you think. If you’re testing in a heavily populated area like I am, that might be why it steers you down some weird paths.
I am on my second trip now, I am learning to compare it with other maps before traveling. It is only as good as the information that is programed into it. I am in Guntersville State Park, Alabama and I have learned just read the signs to double check when you get close to your destination. Thanks