Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
jasin1

Dealer liability while rv is serviced

So I’ve been reading about different members having work done on there rv... is it normal for a dealer to have a rv for weeks or months while getting routine warranty work done? I know all repairs are not the same and parts sometimes need to be ordered but I am not looking forward to having to deal with that. I try and fix most things myself but my dealer has a “ forever warranty “ or something to that effect where I need to bring in once a year for routine roof maintenance.

I really wouldn’t want my rv sitting on a lot with rigs that are for sale.... ” well we don’t have that model fifth wheel right now but one is in for service you can look at” (salesman says...grabs keys). What happens if it’s damaged? Do you know most car dealerships and repair shops will not be held responsible if they damage your car or get in a wreck with it? Most have on service ticket that you need to make claim with your insurance company..
I don’t even like taking my truck to get warranty service .. they give the keys to a lot kid to move around and even the service techs squeeze your vehicle into the tightest spaces with 3” on each side when they are done working on it.
I would pay an extra $200 just to have it worked on while I wait or at least end of the day...and if parts are needed I will take it home and bring back for one day when parts arrive and wait till it’s done.
I know you can’t do that on major repairs but just seems crazy that you would just leave something for so long
Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
nellie1289

Jason as a general rule they only have you come in once they are ready to service it. Mine has never been there more than a week max, usually a few days depending on parts. If parts will take a while they will have you take it home then bring it back. Also most dealers will take copious photos of it as you brought it in, to prove there was no damage when it arrived, or existing damage, to protect you and them. My dealer moves them around with forklifts, i watched my dealers guy, he is a pro, laser precision. In short i have had my trailers to dealers more than 10 times, every time it comes back prestine. Do a thorough walk around before you leave. Also, i have to say you are far more likely to get damage on a car at service than a huge trailer. Nothing can hit your trailer at the dealer like door dings, etc. I really have very little fear of this at dealer, but my cars at the auto dealer I am in endless panic.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

My trailer has been back to the dealership 2 times since we bought it. Both were for warranty work. First was the remote control receiver. I stopped by, he verified what was needed, ordered the parts and when they came in, I towed it back for them to repair it. We didn't even unhitch the trailer. The next was the air conditioner. Again, we stopped by on Monday on the way home from a "hot weekend without air". They verified the problem and we took the trailer home. When the replacement A/C came in, I towed it back, unhitched, drove across the street for breakfast and when I saw them pulling it out of the bay, we drove back across the street to hitch up and take it home.

While that is not the norm, from what I've seen on this forum, it's our experience. There are reports of people leaving their trailer at the dealership for weeks, months or even seasons without any progress being done. If I was unsure, I'd talk to the dealership about bringing it in for troubleshooting, then taking it back home (under the guise of a planned trip if an excuse is needed) and then taking it back when parts come in. I wouldn't want my trailer sitting for months at a time, not connected to shore power means dead batteries or disconnected (easier to steal) batteries, the exposure to someone backing into it or backing it into something not to mention the "lot thieves" that seem to lurk around any RV dealership. As much as they may try to keep things safe, accidents do happen... Best to avoid the exposure if possible.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Having worked at dealerships I can say I’ve seen units stay for a long time and some go home the same day. I have come to learn that it’s more by customers choice, maybe too far away to haul back and forth, maybe inconvenient.

If your worried about any damage while at the dealer, have the service advisor do a “walk around” and note any and all existing damage. It works both ways, one dealer I worked at had a form that both the advisor and customer signed when dropped off, after the walk around. 99% of the time nothing happens, and even the best forklift operator is only as good as his/her spotter.

If your worried about your dealer, just show up unannounced without your unit, act like your a potential buyer and watch the service dept move stuff around.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Jason as a general rule they only have you come in once they are ready to service it. Mine has never been there more than a week max, usually a few days depending on parts. If parts will take a while they will have you take it home then bring it back. Also most dealers will take copious photos of it as you brought it in, to prove there was no damage when it arrived, or existing damage, to protect you and them. My dealer moves them around with forklifts, i watched my dealers guy, he is a pro, laser precision. In short i have had my trailers to dealers more than 10 times, every time it comes back prestine. Do a thorough walk around before you leave. Also, i have to say you are far more likely to get damage on a car at service than a huge trailer. Nothing can hit your trailer at the dealer like door dings, etc. I really have very little fear of this at dealer, but my cars at the auto dealer I am in endless panic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My trailer has been back to the dealership 2 times since we bought it. Both were for warranty work. First was the remote control receiver. I stopped by, he verified what was needed, ordered the parts and when they came in, I towed it back for them to repair it. We didn't even unhitch the trailer. The next was the air conditioner. Again, we stopped by on Monday on the way home from a "hot weekend without air". They verified the problem and we took the trailer home. When the replacement A/C came in, I towed it back, unhitched, drove across the street for breakfast and when I saw them pulling it out of the bay, we drove back across the street to hitch up and take it home.

While that is not the norm, from what I've seen on this forum, it's our experience. There are reports of people leaving their trailer at the dealership for weeks, months or even seasons without any progress being done. If I was unsure, I'd talk to the dealership about bringing it in for troubleshooting, then taking it back home (under the guise of a planned trip if an excuse is needed) and then taking it back when parts come in. I wouldn't want my trailer sitting for months at a time, not connected to shore power means dead batteries or disconnected (easier to steal) batteries, the exposure to someone backing into it or backing it into something not to mention the "lot thieves" that seem to lurk around any RV dealership. As much as they may try to keep things safe, accidents do happen... Best to avoid the exposure if possible.
Well that makes me feel a little better.. my neighbor up the street I noticed took his 6 month old fifth wheel in for warranty service 2 weeks ago and I haven’t seen it since. Apparently he said they did the “no wax” coating or ceramic coating on his new fifth wheel without removing any of the existing black streaks that were on it. He said they were gonna have to strip it off and reapply...didn’t sound fun to me... he had a few other issues as well. Forest river fiver
Old 02-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Jasin over the years my trailers have been in the shop LOTS...maybe years...seems like. I've never liked, nor had good luck, leaving my RV at a dealership for long periods. I've had awnings torn completely off (supporting arms), scrapes down the side, crushed power cables, toilet abused etc. etc. etc. - I trust none of them and tell them that right up front.

What I have moved to is assess the problem and advise them. Take it in for the dealership assessment with the understanding it does not stay there. Get all the issues agreed to, a bay assigned on a specific date and take it in with an agreement on anticipated return time. I check ALL the time and make in person visits at least once a week.

Do NOT let the dealership own the experience, you need to control it. Don't worry about it, just guide it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Having worked at dealerships I can say I’ve seen units stay for a long time and some go home the same day. I have come to learn that it’s more by customers choice, maybe too far away to haul back and forth, maybe inconvenient.

If your worried about any damage while at the dealer, have the service advisor do a “walk around” and note any and all existing damage. It works both ways, one dealer I worked at had a form that both the advisor and customer signed when dropped off, after the walk around. 99% of the time nothing happens, and even the best forklift operator is only as good as his/her spotter.

If your worried about your dealer, just show up unannounced without your unit, act like your a potential buyer and watch the service dept move stuff around.
Will the dealer you work for fix under the dealers insurance or the customers? I was shocked to find out a lot of places make you file under your own insurance... there are cases where the dealer wrecked the car while on a test drive for service and made customer file with his own insurance.... I imagine that rv dealers can require the same thing if it’s in writing on the service ticket in fine print.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW, Forest River can be the most difficult manufacturer to deal with as far as warranty claims. Keystone is a dream compared to them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jasin over the years my trailers have been in the shop LOTS...maybe years...seems like. I've never liked, nor had good luck, leaving my RV at a dealership for long periods. I've had awnings torn completely off (supporting arms), scrapes down the side, crushed power cables, toilet abused etc. etc. etc. - I trust none of them and tell them that right up front.

What I have moved to is assess the problem and advise them. Take it in for the dealership assessment with the understanding it does not stay there. Get all the issues agreed to, a bay assigned on a specific date and take it in with an agreement on anticipated return time. I check ALL the time and make in person visits at least once a week.

Do NOT let the dealership own the experience, you need to control it. Don't worry about it, just guide it.
Sounds like a good plan.. I like it
Old 02-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Will the dealer you work for fix under the dealers insurance or the customers? I was shocked to find out a lot of places make you file under your own insurance... there are cases where the dealer wrecked the car while on a test drive for service and made customer file with his own insurance.... I imagine that rv dealers can require the same thing if it’s in writing on the service ticket in fine print.
All the dealers I worked at fixed it on their dime.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #11
jasin1

Well sounds like all will be good as long as I clearly state my intentions and expectations and I will make sure to follow up with visits if I’m ever in that situation.
I will take a lot of pictures and tape the toilet shut lol . And not leave anything valuable in the storage compartment
Old 02-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #12
gearhead

They own it once it's off my truck. I've had the watch dogs chew the ends off a sewer hose tube, they fixed it. Last spring they were pulling it in the shop bay and tore up the front A/C on a roof beam. Replaced on them. No way I'm filing on my insurance.
If it's a long wait for parts I'll let them call me a day or so ahead and I'll drag it back.
This is not a dealer but an independent shop.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Around here, if it's clearly the dealer's damage, the dealer pays. If it's a "he said/she said" kind of thing, you may get lucky and the dealer will pick up your deductible on YOUR insurance... No insurance? The dealer may pay part of the repairs or give you a discount if they repair it. In other words, make money from damaging your trailer....

That's why it's important, if you're going to leave it, to make sure there's no mistakes about the condition of the trailer and what's in it. The last thing you want is to come back to a broken tail light, busted cargo door, a long scratch down the side with a broken fender skirt, no batteries, no TV's and all the silverware, cookware and the grill are missing and the dealer just shrugs his shoulders saying, "I don't know what happened and I'm not responsible for your personal contents"..... YIKES !!!!!

Does the above happen? Maybe one in a thousand times, so it's not common. That said, if you're the 1000th customer........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I will add to my above post, which I forgot, the dealer has always paid to have the damages repaired; even made them replace 2 new batteries I had installed that they ran down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
Camster

Long time getting it back

We've had three 5th wheels and have had them in the shop a lot it seems. Almost every time it took a week or more to get back. On one instance the de3alership was broken into and TV's were stolen out of the RV's on the lot. New and in for service. Ours was the only on that didn't get broken into.
Last season we had a tree fall on the 5th at the beginning of the season and we didn't get it back till almost the end of season. That was due to the inability to get parts. Truth be told the tears in the roof cover made it so we wouldn't have wanted to use it anyway.
We got a new Montana 3741FK last October and got one outing with it before everything closed. We decided to have some minor warranty work done and awning covers put over the slide. Got a date from the dealer to bring it in for December 10. Again, parts availability got in the way and I picked it up February 2.

We've never had any problems with damage done at the dealerships, but we've never had a quick turn around either.
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #16
apachewolf

Legality

There is a large amount of misunderstanding regarding this matter. But very generally: If your vehicle is damaged while in the custody of a repair shop, it is THEIR responsibility to fix it. Yes some (a lot) shops print a disclaimer on their repair tickets or have a sign on the wall that releases them from liability, or so they think. And yes it does deter a lot of decent people from filing a claim against the shop. But there are laws. A lot of states have laws with regard to damage to a customers property while in for repair. The very best way to check is to find out what laws are in your state. You can “Google” this: “[state] garage keeper liability.” Insert your state in the brackets. So even if it is stated on a sign or on the ticket it may NOT be the law.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #17
KeystoneKal

Worked at a BMW dealership. Every car that came in for service had photos taken around the car to protect against claims. You can do the same thing with your smartphone.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
There is a large amount of misunderstanding regarding this matter. But very generally: If your vehicle is damaged while in the custody of a repair shop, it is THEIR responsibility to fix it. Yes some (a lot) shops print a disclaimer on their repair tickets or have a sign on the wall that releases them from liability, or so they think. And yes it does deter a lot of decent people from filing a claim against the shop. But there are laws. A lot of states have laws with regard to damage to a customers property while in for repair. The very best way to check is to find out what laws are in your state. You can “Google” this: “[state] garage keeper liability.” Insert your state in the brackets. So even if it is stated on a sign or on the ticket it may NOT be the law.

Happy camping.
I believe in “no fault” states you are required to file with your own insurance company ..correct me if I’m wrong .. but it’s not the same as the dealer just takin* care of it
Old 02-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #19
jasin1

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar183534.html
Old 02-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #20
ewbldavis

I can add for a friend with an Imagine. He took it in at close of season in fall. They evaluated it, talked to Grand Design, and listed what they were going to fix.

He then took it home. He will be taking it in soon to have work performed. They're ordering the parts and he will drop it off once received. I'd have to agree, rare cases of horrible dealerships, owner choices to have it sit for months.

We forced hand to get on-site service for our Cougar. Now that was scheduled 2 months out, but issues weren't that big of deal. Of course, you end up going from nice to nasty to get it scheduled, but otherwise a decent experience.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote