Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #21
mjsibe

Snow on roof

I use a long paint telescoping extension pole & a soft broom head
To remove built up snow on my TT.
No Ladder needed.
I also have a cover on it.
Gets enough off to lighten the load.
Soft gentle & effective.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #22
Gunny Mike

I bring my slides in when the forecast is for 3 inches or more. When the temps are back in the high thirties I bring them out. I like using a 2' wide push broom with plastic brush to remove snow from all of my vehicles.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #23
Mikelff

My cousin puts a plastic tarp on the slide out roofs and ties them down. When he needs to clear the snow and ice, he just carefully pulls the tarps off and all the ice and snow comes with it. He makes sure the tarps are in good shape with no holes or rips. He pulls from the edge against the rv out towards the outside edge of the slide. It all rolls out and dumps on the ground. He makes sure not to let it build up too deep, otherwise it really gets heavy. He makes sure the tarp is clean and dry and puts them back up. He uses a plastic brush on a long handled extendable pole to brush off the snow on the roof. He does some winter camping in Michigan so he tries to keep the snow and ice off his rig. Otherwise, if it’s going to sit for the winter, I would keep the slides in. No reason to add that extra weight to the slides and rig.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #24
bpmoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Yeah .. I wouldn’t get up there on the roof but probably not a good idea to be scraping a shovel around even from a ladder..
For the structural engineers on the site....How much does the snow actually weigh in general terms ? At some point it has to overload the structure itself..isn’t the roof only rated for 300 lbs? I know that’s concentrated in a 2x2 area probably for someone walking.
I guess in a deep snow or when ice is combined you could actually put a lot of stress on suspension if the trailer was already loaded up for camping and close to gvwr.
Snows weighs about 19 pounds per cubic foot and a typical building flat roof would be designed for about 30 pounds per square foot depending on your location - that is about 19" of snow depth.
bpmoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #25
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
LOL I was about to edit this... I thought someone was gonna say .. get a snow shovel ...carefully place it in shed... hook up fifth and drive south for 1000 miles
I tie my snow shovel to the front of my TV and head south. When someone finally asks me what that thing is, That's where I stay.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote