Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Had a friend a couple years ago who couldn't get his furnace to stay on while out at Quartzsite. He had a two year old Montana and the stove burners worked fine, or so he thought. He found a Dometic tech in town who told him to bring the rig in. Turned out all he needed was the regulator adjusted as it was only putting out 5 inches of water column. Hasn't had a problem since.
One of the first tests I did, that’s how I found out one of his regulators was bad. Customer has a toyhauler with 3 propane tanks. A single on one side with regulator that feeds gas pipe for trailer, on the other side is a pair of tanks with an auto switchover regulator that feeds the same gas pipe. 11” WC on the single side and 0 on the pair side, measured at the flare fitting to the furnace.

Just goes to show you, us techs can spend some time ruling out stuff, my next test was to monitor voltage at the DC panel while operating.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe I missed a post along the line somewhere that explains why this problem is the guy that bought the trailer and not the dealership/Keystone, but if this is a problem that started with a 6 day old trailer and it's still in warranty, why not have the dealership repair it? Seems a lot of frustration and expense to the owner that ought to be covered by Keystone/Suburban.

As for the "batch of bad sail switches" From what I can gather, there is a problem with the plastic molding "hanging up the sail switch" preventing it from closing when the furnace fan turns on. Apparently either the metal stem of the sail switch won't pass over the bump in the plastic molding or, once it does, it won't return to normal. Either way, if the switch is bad, there's no reason an owner with a brand new trailer should need to be pulling the furnace, changing out components and spending money to keep it running.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:55 AM   #23
Mallardsx2

That is a great ?

I called Camping-world of Chattanooga TN where I bought the camper.

The tech there was less than helpful. The man I purchased the camper off of told me that we were too far form them to send a tech to come and fix it....

Keystone online was helpful and told me that if I could find a remote tech in my area that they would pay for up to 150 of the service call fee and anything else that was wrong with it. I have tried 15 people and nobody will call me back or when they do they tell me that I have to bring the camper to them.....

I am currently staying in the camper while my house is being constructed. It was 21 degrees last night and I am now forced to run electric heaters.... So I need someone to come to me. I cant take it to a dealer and drop it off to be fixed. (Most are 2 weeks out).

On top of all of this camping-world of Chattanooga TN sold me a camper that has an active recall on it. They never told me this and went ahead and sold it to me and let me tow it 3 hours home when there was an active recall on it involving the frame......

Needless to say I am not a very happy customer. I ordered the switch last night and I am still in the process of getting someone to come out here to take a look at things and even repair it is possible. But I cant get anyone to return my calls.

For someone to be surprised that I am having to go through all of this basically alone, they shouldn't be, its the way of the world today. People sell you something and then dont provide any additional support for anything. They got their money, screw the rest of the world.....
Mallardsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #24
Mallardsx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don’t order parts, I just tell the boss what it needs. I think he’s getting it from Dometic under warranty.

I spoke with Dometic yesterday. They dont have any switches in stock.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:29 AM   #25
Mallardsx2

So if the sail switch is not working I was told that the igniter would not be clicking.

In my case, the blower is coming on and the igniter is clicking.

So maybe this means that the sail switch isn't bad and its something else.

Maybe a gnat or something is in the gas orifice.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:35 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

If you are getting clicking, then it’s a gas issue. You’ll need a manometer to measure pressure.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #27
Mallardsx2

Looks like I finally got someone that is willing to come out and take a look at it. I will let everyone know how that turns out.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal, I’ll be waiting.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:43 AM   #29
notanlines

At this point, probably more than 100 of us are, also! Thanks!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #30
Mallardsx2

Service tech came out today and the guy is at a loss for what the issue is.

More to come.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallardsx2 View Post
Service tech came out today and the guy is at a loss for what the issue is.

More to come.
First day on the job?

Old 02-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #32
Trucker2565

Have regulator pressure checked... furnace requires 12 in wc. My hideout furnace wouldn't work sometimes and work others. Stove worked fine. Fridge was finicky as well. Found out regulator was only pushing 5 in wc. Not enough pressure.
Trucker2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #33
Big 417

I didn't read every reply, but why don't people leave both tanks open, the auto valve is designed to be just that, automatic. It will switch to the full bottle when the other runs out. Flip the lever to the side you want to use first. Then slowly open that bottle, the indicator will be green. Then go ahead and open the other bottle. When the indicator goes red, you are now pulling from the second bottle.

I realize some do this so they know when they're on the last bottle, but they sure don't enjoy crawling out of a cold bed at 3am to switch over lol.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #34
firestation12

Sail switch

I removed my sail switch after a failure to ignite. The the switch proved operational when tested for continuity + moved manually. The flat metal of the sail switch was parallel to the airflow. This seemed odd as there didn't seem like enough area exposed area to the airflow to effectively move the sail. I gently added a twist to the sail, to expose more surface area, which has resulted in no more issues.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #35
Preyou

Do you have In Command. If so Dometic and In Command had an issue where the furnace would not fire at 40 degrees or below. Temp got back up inside the camper and it worked fine. Dometic has a replacement card
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #36
LadyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallardsx2 View Post
I have other brand new tanks I tried last night and had the same sporadic...

This thing is literally 9 days old but I guess a switch failure is possible???
My 2021 Keystone Outback was 3 days old and in for warranty work! Sourdough and Chuckster helped me with my furnace issue! It was the thermostat. We bought the one suggested and have not had another issue since.

Since then have had SEVERAL more warranty issues come up AND only AT THE MOMENT own our TT 3 months, five days ago. I have had one claim supposedly turned down by Keystone. I have had such a bad time that we decided that it might be best to just do it all ourselves. I have made contact with Keystone. I am not expecting much from them.
LadyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #37
colouiss651

Furnace issue-possible resolution

We have a 2018 Outback. Our furnace started cycling as well. The fan would come on, the furnace would light for 20 seconds then go out with the fan still running. I called a local mobile technician. He discovered that the gas intake tube which is on the outside of the unit, but inside the cabinet(or hidden until you open it up) was somehow bent very slightly so that it misaligned the intake port to the igniter. When he bent the intake tube forward just slightly it worked fine. I contacted the furnace manufacturer. They admitted that they had learned that the factory employees were mishandling the furnaces by picking them up by the intake tube (it looked like a handle) before and during installation in the new campers. This slightly bent the tube. They paid for my Technicians fee. You might just need to experiment with slightly moving the tube (not much pressure needed). That was two years ago and we have been through one full camping season with no further issues. Good luck
colouiss651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #38
Kwaidonjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
A failed regulator, circuit boards etc. are sort of an expected occurrence since it is difficult to find a fault in one of them by just firing something up once then turning it off. In my mind I picture all of the circuit boards in a box with tech's hands reaching in grabbing one every few minutes beating them to death over time - then we get one of them in our RV....hoping ours wasn't the one completely beaten to death.

If you replace the regulator get a good one. I've had good results with Marshall Excelsior brand regulators. I've already replaced the high pressure regulator on this one and have a replacement two stage on hand for the primary regulator when it fails - and it's under warranty as well.

When getting warranty work performed it's all about the dealer. I have no doubt Keystone will replace the regulator BUT arranging to get it into the dealer, them getting to it to trouble shoot the regulator, then getting Keystone to approve the replacement, THEN ordering/getting the new part can take a LONG time. They should have one on hand but it will be something similar to the OE part.
Are you covered under warranty if you call out a mobile RV repair company?
Kwaidonjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:23 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the Keystone Owner's Manual, no.

Here is a "BOLDED, BOXED comment" from page 5 of the Owner's Manual:

"Service Calls (except for Travel Trailers with a detachable A-Frame)
or repairs completed by Non-Authorized dealers are not warranted by
Keystone. Should you encounter a situation that may require such a
service, contact your selling dealer for assistance PRIOR to incurring
these types of expense."

While it may be convenient to just call someone to come to you, Keystone has, almost 100% of the time, refused to pay for that type of "warranty repair". If you do it, plan on paying the full expense of the repairs as Keystone will likely refuse any or all reimbursement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #40
jasin1

This is a long shot but I would check to see if there is some debris or obstruction in the gas line at the furnace regulator screen... did the tech check the gas pressure at the furnace regulator? Both incoming and outgoing?

Tags
outback, keystone, propane, furnace