Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
Brantlyj

WEN generator

This 3800 watt peak generator showed up today as an Amazon “deal of the day”.

What does everyone think of it? Both the brand and the price?

Deal: WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off and Electric Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PTNTRRJ..._.-24Fb343A36R
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
dutchmensport

No idea. I have an Onan-Cummings. But here's a bunch of YouTube Videos that may give you some direction. Click here.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
notanlines

It might be okay, but it has no remote start and no electric start. I think you can do better if you wait. Wen has sales on a regular basis.
On edit: My old vision didn't pick up on the electric start right off. My bad, but it is loud. Might keep that in mind.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
It might be okay, but it has no remote start and no electric start. I think you can do better if you wait. Wen has sales on a regular basis.
It had electric start. Not sure I care much about remote start....
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Jim2366

Looking at the WEN it priced at over $800 and weighs around 111 lbs. A review showed the decibels at 65 which seemed high.

I have a low cost Champion that sells right now at Cabela's for $300. I can run the RV and one AC although it is pretty loud at 65 decibels. I have heard that people like the Honda's but they cost a lot. The Champion starts with one easy pull and has a 30 amp plug in. I have used the Champions for the past 15 years and have two that I own now, I would suggest getting the wheels on any that you purchase.

There is the fuel consumption vs Watts to consider if you plan on using it for a long period of run time.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cham...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-24-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
jasin1

I have the harbor freight 3500 predator inverter. It’s really nice and had great reviews. If I had to do over I would probably get two of the smaller 2000 inverter predators and a interconnect wire.
My thinking is I could use just one if camping in the fall and spring when I don’t need an AC. And when I’m not camping I have two seperate lite weight generators if power goes out and I need to lend one to my daughter or son. I would get the two year no questions asked warranty as well
Plus the smaller ones are almost half the weight
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:51 AM   #7
ChuckS

Heavy generator at 112 lbs and 67 dB ain’t very quite... I run two 2000 units to power fifth wheel .

Light weight at 47 lbs and 57dB at full output which is rarely used when connected in parallel

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #8
SummitPond

What's the general feeling about this HF generator?

A friend of ours who is new to trailering is thinking about getting it for the rare emergency to top off his battery. The problems I see are that:
A) it is noisy and
B) it is not inverter, so I don't know how clean the electricity is; would it damage the converter?
He likes the idea as it is small and light and relatively cheap (he figures he can pick it up with one of their 20%-off coupons).

Any experience or thoughts I can pass along to him?

Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post

A friend of ours who is new to trailering is thinking about getting it for the rare emergency to top off his battery. The problems I see are that:
A) it is noisy and
B) it is not inverter, so I don't know how clean the electricity is; would it damage the converter?
He likes the idea as it is small and light and relatively cheap (he figures he can pick it up with one of their 20%-off coupons).

Thanks.
For a little more he could get the 2000 inverter and have something that’s much more versatile. He could use it at home or use it on the rv for safe power with electronics. I know it’s a bump up in money but it’s like buying work boots. If you pay for a quality pair then they last many more years then getting a bargain on cheap ones and having to replace yearly
Old 12-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
DDG

Red face Generators

I have two Power Horse 2000 suitcase gen. I got them at Northern Tool they are lite and I don't boondock a lot. I use them once a year for a concert we go to in June for 3 days. I can run the ac if I want. If it's nice out and don't need to run the ac I can get away with just running one but fire up the second one when I brew my pot of coffee. Got them 4 years ago chance oil every spring. DDG
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

First off a little more money for a 2,000 inverter? If you call 4 times the amount a little maybe. The one linked is "125, the inverter is $500, by my math the little generator is 1/4 the cost.

As for that little $150 generator the running watts is 700. So, 700 watts divided by 120 volts equals 5.8 amps. Don't know what converter your "friend" has but I'm guessing if it's of much capacity it will use more than that amperage to charge a depleted battery. The other issue is with folks who don't understand how the watts/voltys+ amps works. They see "generator" and think "oh great, now IO can run the everything!"

Besides the ;low output you are looking at very loud, very smelly operation. A 2 cycle is just that, fires every 2 cycles instead of every 4. Think chainsaw or weed eater. Smoke from the gas oil mix and loud.

I call them "buzz boxes". They are ok to run a small saw,or a cordless tool charger, better at running lights or maybe a boom box out in the wilderness.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First off a little more money for a 2,000 inverter? If you call 4 times the amount a little maybe. The one linked is "125, the inverter is $500, by my math the little generator is 1/4 the cost.

As for that little $150 generator the running watts is 700. So, 700 watts divided by 120 volts equals 5.8 amps. Don't know what converter your "friend" has but I'm guessing if it's of much capacity it will use more than that amperage to charge a depleted battery. The other issue is with folks who don't understand how the watts/voltys+ amps works. They see "generator" and think "oh great, now IO can run the everything!"

Besides the ;low output you are looking at very loud, very smelly operation. A 2 cycle is just that, fires every 2 cycles instead of every 4. Think chainsaw or weed eater. Smoke from the gas oil mix and loud.

I call them "buzz boxes". They are ok to run a small saw,or a cordless tool charger, better at running lights or maybe a boom box out in the wilderness.
Lol yeah I guess I’m not the best at spending other people’s money
Old 12-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:

A) it is noisy and

Thanks.
Be sure your friend has you post here where he'll be camped using that bumble bee sounding thing smoking & buzzing all day to almost charge his batteries so the rest of us can camp as far away as possible or avoid the place altogether.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

A) it is noisy and

Thanks.
If your friend really has his "little old heart set" on buying one of those generators, I've got one in the pole barn that's only got about 15 minutes run time on it that he can have for half the price of a new one. Heck, I'm even open to negotiating a lower price...

Put in "short form", it's a smoking, buzzing, underpowered piece of crap that's cantankerous to run, impossible to start and needs oil/gas mixed, which means it's even harder to start after being stored for more than 15 minutes..... About the only thing I can say that is "positive" about that little HF piece of junk, is that it will give his shoulders (and his tongue) a workout every time he tries to use it.....

If you haven't guessed yet, HELL NO !!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

He has a Navi 16FQ.

I had thought about the noise, but didn't realize it may not produce enough current for the converter.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to send him the URL for this thread.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
He has a Navi 16FQ.

I had thought about the noise, but didn't realize it may not produce enough current for the converter.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to send him the URL for this thread.
Here's a WFCO 35 amp converter. Specs say it draws 7 amps. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8935-35-amp/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator