Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
williamhclark3

RV in the Winter Newbie

Another newbie question - I've just acquired a 29BHS and we are planning on doing some camping this winter in several places locally.

My question is - since we are planning on using the trailer this winter - what is the best way to keep things from freezing up? I would just winterize like a boat, but we are going to use it several times so I know that isn't a good option... Do I just keep the heat set to 55 degrees or something?

The trailer has climate guard (not sure how that helps)

Thanks in advance...
williamhclark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhclark3 View Post
Another newbie question - I've just acquired a 29BHS and we are planning on doing some camping this winter in several places locally.

My question is - since we are planning on using the trailer this winter - what is the best way to keep things from freezing up? I would just winterize like a boat, but we are going to use it several times so I know that isn't a good option... Do I just keep the heat set to 55 degrees or something?

The trailer has climate guard (not sure how that helps)

Thanks in advance...
All depends on where you is... Down here I blow the lines out and drain the tanks if I got time before a cold snap hits... If I'm lazy (like I was this weekend) I drained everything and pumped a gallon of antifreeze through the lines.. Cause I'm using it again in 10 days and it was pouring a toady turner Sunday when we got back from a weekend trip..
Old 12-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
williamhclark3

Thanks. I’m in Southern Oklahoma. Only drops below freezing for a few hours at a time.
williamhclark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

If you are not camping and the heat isn't on, get an air chuck for your city water inlet and a compressor and blow out lines by opening the taps one at a time and also the toilet. Use your hot water heater bypass and shut it off and drain your hot water tank. If you run propane, it will not last all that long so if you have a way to plug into a 30A RV outlet, run a small ceramic heater that senses the temp and kicks on when needed to keep the camper above freezing at night and leave the doors on cabinets with pee traps open. I pour some anti-freeze into the pee traps when I am not going to use the camper for a month in the winter. We get some freezes here in the Hill Country and I expect these things will work for you as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
BrooksFam

heh-heh...…. he said pee...………..

https://www.google.com/search?source...sclient=psy-ab

We live in full time right now and have had a few upper 20 nights. I disconnect the water supply, open the cabinet doors at night that have plumbing (p-traps) in them and run 2 small space heaters set to about 60 degrees. I also set the furnace to come on at 50 degrees just in case which it hasn't done yet. In the sub freezing mornings I run the furnace for about 10 minutes to pump heat into the underbelly. What has really helped is that daytime temps get into the 40's so no long term freezing. Bad things can happen when it stays below freezing for 24 hours or more if you are not prepared for it.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter