Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #21
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Nothing in your camper uses a pilot light any more, except your oven.
Not exactly true... There are some newer water heaters that still use the old pilot light controls. Turn and hold down the knob, light pilot, continue to hold until the pilot heats the probe enough for it to stay lit by itself. Granted, this is done "outside" the camper. But nonetheless, it's not an automatic sparking pilot like others are now.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Not exactly true... There are some newer water heaters that still use the old pilot light controls. Turn and hold down the knob, light pilot, continue to hold until the pilot heats the probe enough for it to stay lit by itself. Granted, this is done "outside" the camper. But nonetheless, it's not an automatic sparking pilot like others are now.
I think on some of the smaller trailers with the undercounter fridge they have a "standing pilot" as well. Those standing pilot lights use very little gas.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #23
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think on some of the smaller trailers with the undercounter fridge they have a "standing pilot" as well. Those standing pilot lights use very little gas.
Come to think of it, my (new) Furrion cookie maker (oh, ok... Oven, if they want to call it that) has the same pilot light. I have to hold the knob in for a bit.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #24
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Always open 1 tank at a time. That way you NEVER run out. The regulator pointer needs to point to the tank being used. Remove the empty and have it filled. Always open the tanks slowly. They have a built in shut off valve that will close if opened too fast. The oven has a piolet light that you must light. Be sure you have gas flow to the top burners before you try to light the piolet light.
That's how I do it as well... Furthermore, that's how propane dealers recommend you do it. Because, that's how the valve works. You can point your regulator to the tank you're using, and take the other tank to fill it. That way, you never run out of propane.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #25
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm glad you got it going. For future reference if you smell propane open the door and windows to clear it out. LP gas is heavier than the air so it will settle at the floor. Best way to evacuate is via the door with a cross flow from a window. The stove vent in not a good idea for two reasons. First, the vast majority don't vent outside and secondly the switch could possibly create a spark inside it which could ignite the gas.
This^^ x2. LP, usually a propane/butane mix depending on the season, will settle to the lowest space available. Natural gas, which is mostly ethane, will escape higher.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #26
Mikelff

Don't know if they make auto switch regulators for bumper pull trailers but they are the way to go. I’m thinking they must have them. They draw from one tank at a time but auto switch from empty tank to full tank. No crawling out of bed to go out in the cold to change your tank. I currently have to do mine manually. I have tank fill gauges on my tanks and they work pretty well so far. If I want to make sure I have enough propane for the night I check my gauges to make sure the tank I am using has enough for the night. If it’s questionable, I’ll switch to the full tank for the night. I have a third spare 30lb. tank so I have never run out of propane. I will be changing out my regulator to an “auto switch” regulator at some point. I have a pilot light oven which I rarely use, so I only light it when I do use the oven. Everything else is auto light.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Don't know if they make auto switch regulators for bumper pull trailers but they are the way to go. I’m thinking they must have them. They draw from one tank at a time but auto switch from empty tank to full tank. No crawling out of bed to go out in the cold to change your tank. I currently have to do mine manually. I have tank fill gauges on my tanks and they work pretty well so far. If I want to make sure I have enough propane for the night I check my gauges to make sure the tank I am using has enough for the night. If it’s questionable, I’ll switch to the full tank for the night. I have a third spare 30lb. tank so I have never run out of propane. I will be changing out my regulator to an “auto switch” regulator at some point. I have a pilot light oven which I rarely use, so I only light it when I do use the oven. Everything else is auto light.

Automatic changeover regulators are installed on almost all travel trailers and fifth wheels and have been for a long time now. Your 2018 Montana HC "sould have" come with a standard automatic changeover regulator. If BOTH LPG tanks are on the same side of the trailer (in a side by side compartment) then it's a "standard changeover type". If your LPG tanks are on opposite sides of the trailer, (one on the roadside and one on the curbside) then you'll have two regulators in the system. The first is a "stepdown intermediate regulator" and reduces the pressure coming from that tank to about 30PSI to prevent it from freezing/condensing to liquid in the transverse gas line. That flows into one side of the other regulator, which is an automatic changeover regulator which reduces the gas pressure from either tank (depending on the valve position) to 11" WC which is about 0.5 PSI to supply gas to all the appliances.

I'm surprised that your HC doesn't have an automatic changeover regulator as standard equipment. It's been a "standard feature on even the most basic, entry level trailers since back in the 90's.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #28
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Automatic changeover regulators are installed on almost all travel trailers and fifth wheels and have been for a long time now. Your 2018 Montana HC "sould have" come with a standard automatic changeover regulator. If BOTH LPG tanks are on the same side of the trailer (in a side by side compartment) then it's a "standard changeover type". If your LPG tanks are on opposite sides of the trailer, (one on the roadside and one on the curbside) then you'll have two regulators in the system. The first is a "stepdown intermediate regulator" and reduces the pressure coming from that tank to about 30PSI to prevent it from freezing/condensing to liquid in the transverse gas line. That flows into one side of the other regulator, which is an automatic changeover regulator which reduces the gas pressure from either tank (depending on the valve position) to 11" WC which is about 0.5 PSI to supply gas to all the appliances.

I'm surprised that your HC doesn't have an automatic changeover regulator as standard equipment. It's been a "standard feature on even the most basic, entry level trailers since back in the 90's.....
I bought my 5er used in 2019. Unless the regulator was changed/switched to a manual switch over, it has the manual now. Its been a while since I’ve really looked at it so now you have me wondering if I somehow missed something. Will have to take another good look at it! Lol.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I bought my 5er used in 2019. Unless the regulator was changed/switched to a manual switch over, it has the manual now. Its been a while since I’ve really looked at it so now you have me wondering if I somehow missed something. Will have to take another good look at it! Lol.
You "should find" a red regulator on the "off side" and a auto changeover regulator on the supply side of the trailer (assuming the tanks are on opposite sides of the trailer. If you bought it used, no telling if what's there is OEM or some aftermarket system that was installed to solve a problem or as "preference" by the previous owner. As far as I know, HC's have had auto changeover regulators, at least since 2010.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #30
jsb5717

Quote:
As far as I know, HC's have had auto changeover regulators, at least since 2010.
Our HC has one. It's on the camping side
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #31
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The regulator pointer needs to point to the tank being used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I also leave the regulator in the center position so it runs on one tank then when that tank empties, it switches.
Is the latter a feature of your particular brand or what? I've never heard of that. For one thing, how does it know which tank to empty first?
Old 11-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #32
Preyou

What about cold weather. Temp dropped to 28F and heater quit. I knew the tank was not full but not empty. When i checked it it had ice on the sides about 1/4 way up. Switched to full tank and still had issues with heater until sun came up and temp increased. I have not used propane in the winter like this. Any suggestions
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #33
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Is the latter a feature of your particular brand or what? I've never heard of that. For one thing, how does it know which tank to empty first?
The pointer is just a pointer. It has nothing to do with the valve, just a pointer. The valve will use the last tank it was using provided it has pressure. When the pressure runs out it will switch to the other tank if it has pressure. The pointer has to be moved manually.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #34
Mikelff

Quote:
You "should find" a red regulator on the "off side" and a auto changeover regulator on the supply side of the trailer (assuming the tanks are on opposite sides of the trailer. If you bought it used, no telling if what's there is OEM or some aftermarket system that was installed to solve a problem or as "preference" by the previous owner. As far as I know, HC's have had auto changeover regulators, at least since 2010.
Took a good look at my regulator. I feel like a dummy! You are correct. It’s an auto switch regulator. Glad I know now. The lever is just to check if the selected tank has gas (green) or empty (red). In order to work, both tank valves need to open. With my third spare tank, I’m good to go for a good while.

Tags
newbie, newbies, propane