Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
valonzo

Roof advice please

Hello everyone, I am considering puchasing a 2017 Fuzion this week. I have concerns with the condition of the roof and wondered if its a repair or full on redo. Can anyone chime in and advise?

Looking for best and worst case cost wise.

Owner says some black crows made their home on it before he had noticed and they nipped away at it pretty good.

valonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Northofu1

Hello and welcome.

Pictures would be a great help.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
valonzo

man you are fast, I fixed within a minute after realizing it didnt like the link - thank you
Old 07-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Has it always been covered under that awning even while the crows were...."pecking away"?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
valonzo

I know right, but actually I think thats what may have appealed to them. The shelter itself, and with both sides completely open there is nothing to stop them. Lesson learned, close both sides if you get one I suppose.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I was curious about the cover thinking of rain penetration into those holes. If they have stayed dry throughout vs having just been pulled under there and exposed to the weather for a long period the worry about roof damage is greatly lessened.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Couple of observations, I don't understand your slides out comment. What's the relevance? Crows? From the pic doesn't look like crow country but I don't know where it's at. Birds do not look like an issue in that roof structure. I don't see a bird droppings in the rafters or on the trailer roof.

Not knowing how much water could have entered means not knowing if you potentially need a new roof covering, or has it done damage inside. Looks like those holes are mainly in a line down the edge. Me personally, I'd say thanks I'll think about it and leave.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
valonzo

And I dont understand your "slides" reference - No said slides anywhere in this post. Who cares what caused it, I am not looking for feedback or input on that. From my perspective I only am looking for input on the following.

1. Is it a repair?
2. Is it a complete redo?
3. How much for each?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
travelin texans

I'd have RV Armour, or one of the other companies, redo the roof, it's approximately the same $$ as replacing original, warrantied for life to you & any future owner,
applied at your location in a couple days & never worry about whatever may have caused this issue or any other again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Let me know if you need any tips with RV-Armor. I had my roof done by them and am happy with the result. Their charge is by the linear foot and not sure what it is right now. Mine was done a couple years ago and it is nice not having to worry about resealing or maintaining the roof. If I were considering that trailer, I would find an RV savvy individual to help you search for any water penetration (if you don't have the background) and would use the condition of the roof as a negotiation tool. Send me a PM if you want to scoop on RV-Armor. wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by valonzo View Post
And I dont understand your "slides" reference - No said slides anywhere in this post. Who cares what caused it, I am not looking for feedback or input on that. From my perspective I only am looking for input on the following.

1. Is it a repair?
2. Is it a complete redo?
3. How much for each?
Touchy eh? I misread sides for slides so excuse me but your brought up the crows and the "cause" possibly being that the SIDES were open.

As for for three "input only" questions 1 -3 I was expressing my opinion on buying it, since you said you were "considering it". I don't know what you expect here but I don't know how anyone could make an assessment with a picture of less than 1/2 of the roof showing "some" of the holes and not knowing if any water has penetrated the damaged area.

Good luck getting your focused questions answered.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Touchy eh? I misread sides for slides so excuse me but your brought up the crows and the "cause" possibly being that the SIDES were open.

As for for three "input only" questions 1 -3 I was expressing my opinion on buying it, since you said you were "considering it". I don't know what you expect here but I don't know how anyone could make an assessment with a picture of less than 1/2 of the roof showing "some" of the holes and not knowing if any water has penetrated the damaged area.

Good luck getting your focused questions answered.

Someone has been cooped up a bit I am guessing! The OP probably didn't realize who he was dealing with! bhwhahahahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Flybouy is correct. Questions 1-3 cannot be answered unless more is known about the roof issues; far too many things could have happened under that roof covering. To say "just put a new covering on the roof" without the slightest idea of what has happened under it, through those holes, would be potentially throwing your money away IMO.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Someone has been cooped up a bit I am guessing! The OP probably didn't realize who he was dealing with! bhwhahahahahaha
Nah, just a little hot under the collar. Went out to drag the trash can up the driveway and my face felt like instant sunburn. Here's a pic of my "weather station display". When the Temps get much above 90 it shows about 4 deg above actual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	28788  
Old 07-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
valonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Flybouy is correct. Questions 1-3 cannot be answered unless more is known about the roof issues; far too many things could have happened under that roof covering. To say "just put a new covering on the roof" without the slightest idea of what has happened under it, through those holes, would be potentially throwing your money away IMO.
Thanks - you see this is a real answer. Peanut gallery here....
Old 07-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by valonzo View Post
Thanks - you see this is a real answer. Peanut gallery here....
OP, what answer are you looking for? What specific, quantified issue do you need addressed? We see the pics and I assure you that many want to help you given some kind of additional info. Without it's more or less shooting in the dark and make an assessment that costs you thousands in worthless expenditures from a lack of info.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
valonzo

Don’t be sour.... dough 😉
Old 07-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I'm done. You're obviously looking for something that only you know...good luck.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #19
sprky69

RV Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Let me know if you need any tips with RV-Armor. I had my roof done by them and am happy with the result. Their charge is by the linear foot and not sure what it is right now. Mine was done a couple years ago and it is nice not having to worry about resealing or maintaining the roof. If I were considering that trailer, I would find an RV savvy individual to help you search for any water penetration (if you don't have the background) and would use the condition of the roof as a negotiation tool. Send me a PM if you want to scoop on RV-Armor. wg
Maybe explain a little more about the roof seal RV Armor? Specialized installers? Live in Indiana, camper is new Cloverdale. 29' Keystone Hideout. Approx. cost to do? Thanks Bill
sprky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #20
Northofu1

I would message wiredgeorge for tips. He has had it done and is pleased with it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof