Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
Russamoto

Generators recommended for keystone hideout

I'm really new at this. Bought a used Hideout yesterday. What generator pairs well with this size trailer?
Russamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Generator size will depend on what your trying to accomplish. Charge the battery(s) only a 1000W would do the job. Charge the battery and watch TV While microwaving something maybe the 1000W or step up to 2000W. General accepted rule us 3500W or better for the AC.

You can get a single gen rated for 3500-4000 watts, but they can be a bit heavy. You can get a pair of 2000W gens that can be “tethered” together for about 3600W. That way they are easier to carry/lift and you can run 1 if your not using the AC.

Either way, I would definitely get an “inverter” gen, as the power supplied is more constant and “cleaner” meaning it won’t damage your electronics.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

X2^^ what Chuck said is spot on.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
travelin texans

NO construction type generator, everyone parked near you will appreciate it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
dutchmensport

I've been researching generators for almost 2 years, ever since we purchased our current fifth wheel. Because we have a fifth wheel, I considered the Onan generators that are installed in the front bay. However, after a lot of reading, YouTube videos, and talking to multiple RV service shops, the Onan generator at the over $4000 price tag (Like this one) was just way beyond my budget. Plus, they consume propane too fast, or if you get the gasoline version, you have to install a gasoline tank somewhere in the camper. Add to that, there seems to be a lot of problems, breakdowns, and issues with these. For the price and the history of mechanical failure, I dismissed this type completely, but only after a lot of research.

A recent power outage at home caused me to pull out my 20 year old el-cheap-o free-bee generator to power up our computers in the house. I ended up plugging in the fifth wheel, but had only 20 amps available. It was then the wife said we needed to get a generator that would run the camper.

So, once again, I went on the search. I went back to my local dealership service department and we talked amps, and watts, and all that, he highly recommended the portable Onan P4500I Click Here. He said this is now the best generator-inverter on the market and the quietest ever made so far.

I took the information and spent 3 more days searching the internet, watching YouTube videos on this model, and making phone calls. I finally called back my local dealer parts department and ordered it.

Unfortunately, this specific model is not in stock, and I am now #9 on the waiting list, when they come in. And their quoted price is right in line with everything advertised on the internet ... $1044.00.

One nice thing about this specific model, it has a 30 amp RV receptacle, and it can be paired with a second one for full 50 amp. Granted we may not be able to use 50 amp, but it will make the fifth wheel functional with one air conditioner.

Anyway, you might want to look deeper into this model. They evidently are so popular right now, they can't keep them in stock.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Interesting. The Westinghouse iGen4500DF is the same unit as your Onan (color and name difference of course), except it's twice the cost at a quick online glance. Good deal it seems at just over a grand.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

How heavy is that gen? There is an advantage to having two smaller ones. As to all the issues with the Onan units- I have seen very few problems over my years as a tech.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

I bought a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator from Costco, it was under $700 shipped to my door.

It will start and run my 15K BTU AC unit along with the converter and the mini fridge in the outside kitchen, it has a 30 amp RV receptacle and is pretty quiet ( you cannot hear it when you are in the camper with the AC on).

I have to do power management if we want to run other high demand items like the toaster, coffee pot, water heater, etc as you cannot run them and the AC at the same time.

Newer versions of the generator have more features (remote start, parallel kits, etc) and they have one that is 3400 watts.

We are in our 5th season with it and it still starts on the first, sometimes second pull.

At 66 years of age I can load it into the bed of the truck by myself, I think it weighs around 80 pounds.

-Brian
Old 07-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Logan X

I use a 2000 watt Honda inverter generator with my Hideout. It runs everything but the A/C. The Honda’s are pricey but they are quiet and reliable. I’m happy with mine.

Whatever you decide, make sure you keep it locked up so it doesn’t walk away.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Got the call from my dealership the Onan came in. I guess they bumped me up from #9 to #1. We do, do a lot of business with them, and they know when I want something, I don't back out!

So went to pick it up 2 days ago at lunch time. My wife went with me. He demonstrated everything, powered it up, and gave me all the information I needed.

Then my wife raised concerns about it powering both AC's in the fifth wheel. I immediately told her it would not. He confirmed. And then he immediately said, he'd go ahead and sell me the second one and the connecting cables if I wanted it. Wife said, ABSOLUTELY YES! I didn't even have a chance to respond!

So we took 2 of them and the connecting power cord.

Got them home and after I got off work I started playing with them. I sat down and read all the documentation, then fired up the first one and plugged in with my 30 amp to 50 amp adapter. The amp out output is 37 amps. So, using "power management" as if plugged into a 30 amp, the trailer was completely functional, ...... @ one air conditioner at a time .... which is what I expected. When I turned on the second air conditioner, the generator killed power to the trailer, but it kept running. It did exactly what it was suppose to do.

So then, I powered both and ran the trailer for over an hour: both air conditionders, electric on the water heater, 2 televisions, and the microwave. (I set it for an hour to run). Everything in the 5er worked just fine. I could hear the generators power down and power up depending on the load, but they ran everything, just like plugged into shore power.

What was most impressive with these generators is how quiet they are. They are everything they are advertised as. My wife and I could carry on a normal conversation without raising our voices stand right beside both units running. We didn't have to yell over the sound of a lawn mower. They were so quiet. Inside the camper, I couldn't hear them running at all.

Of course, Mom and Pop are REALLY happy campers now!

Old 07-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

I have a Champion propane/gas "construction site" generator; almost 4K running and has a 30A cord for the RV. I wouldn't drag it camping as we only go to parks with full hook ups but can use it if the power in the house goes out OR I installed a crossover switch assembly where I can plug it into the house while running out in the car port (needs to be covered in bad weather) and it isn't that noisy inside the house. I go to a panel installed inside and switch from line to generator for specific rooms. Bedroom, office (internet router), living room (tv), kitchen outlets (refrigerator and lights). Microwave isn't wired in as it draws too much. We have a window A/C in the bedroom and we can keep cool and watch TV if the power is out.

If the power is out for awhile, I fill the water tank in the RV and we can stay up there until we run out of water; we have a well and it isn't powered by a generator. I have a 3000 gallon water tank and at some point will get off my duff and put a crossover pipe to the house feed pipe with a valve and just open the valve. Tank is uphill and should provide enough pressure the toilets will work and cold showers are possible.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #12
Roscommon48

lots of generators. i still prefer the honda. get a honda 1000 or 2200 watt generator.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
Roper46

Has anyone tried the 3500 watt inverter generator from Harbor Freight ? It has electric start with included battery and is on wheels.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #14
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Has anyone tried the 3500 watt inverter generator from Harbor Freight ? It has electric start with included battery and is on wheels.
I've seen posts on other camping forums where people purchased the Harbor Freight inverter generator. They gave good reviews, but it also weighs in at about 99 pounds.

It seems everything in the 3500 watt range weighs in right at 100 pounds .... without fuel. (dry)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #15
Canonman

We have a Dometic 3000 generator. 2800 max watts and weighs about 60 pounds.
Lifting this unit into and out of the truck is doable but anything heavier might be a problem. With our minimal solar set up, I find myself leaving it the truck more often than not these days
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
I purchased one and it’s really a nice generator! That being said it is heavy. I pictured myself throwing it in my truck and using while traveling at rest stops. I paid for the 2 year replacement warranty no questions asked. It’s a good deal I’m probably going to go back and buy the 2000 inverter gen because it’s a lot lighter and will run one ac supposedly. I also just installed a inverter and GC batteries so I’m covered. I’m gonna buy a transfer switch for my house and use the 3500 for that.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #17
Alermon32

You may try to check something like this list and choose the correct one for you.
Alermon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #18
MaryKay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russamoto View Post
I'm really new at this. Bought a used Hideout yesterday. What generator pairs well with this size trailer?
A major draw on a generator is the start up of the A/c. Add a soft start to the A/c.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a westinghouse 2500i I got from Home Depot for $750.

What you will need will depend upon what you will be running.
MaryKay2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, hideout, keystone