Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
CBRV

Awning screen room question

We have a 2017 Keystone Cougar 21RBS with articulated awning arms. We'd like to add screens to the awning to create a bug free, shady room, but we're not sure if 1.) having the awning open all the time would be safe for the awning on a windy day even though secured by the screens' ground anchors, and 2.) can we even add screens to this type of awning??
Has anyone done this? We appreciate your input. Thanks!
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
GT2400BH

I have seen this done and they used some PVC pipe on the roller to give some additional support. You still need to be careful not to overload it.
I bought a 4x6 tarp that clips on to block the sun when needed.
I use mosquito fogger in a can. Takes care of a lot of bugs and It’s easier cheaper and words pretty good.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRV View Post
We have a 2017 Keystone Cougar 21RBS with articulated awning arms. We'd like to add screens to the awning to create a bug free, shady room, but we're not sure if 1.) having the awning open all the time would be safe for the awning on a windy day even though secured by the screens' ground anchors, and 2.) can we even add screens to this type of awning??
Has anyone done this? We appreciate your input. Thanks!

What brand/type awning do you have? Some companies make accessories for the awnings then there are the suppliers for aftermarket items.

I wouldn't put them on long term and leave them, but then again I just won't put them on. I have them sitting in the barn but I retract my awning very often due to windy conditions so don't want that extra irritation. I've not really paid attention to it before but in this park, where we've been since Nov., there is only one guy that leaves his awning out. It's tied down with anchors and orange looking nylon straps and then ropes going here and there.... I won't do that.

For the bug free shady environment we carry 12' and 6' Clam enclosures and have the wind/rain screens to go in them if required.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #4
CBRV

Thanks for your thoughts. Combined with canvassing our park neighbors, we decided against adding the screen room or shade to the awning. The awning is just too breakable. Instead, we bought a better canopy with screens and we don't have to worry about the awning at all - we barely put it out at all now, and if the canopy blows down, well, it was not terribly expensive. Thanks again!
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning