Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
CUFFS054

Y'all are scared of that little thing? Come on down here to GA and meet "Blue". A very old, very large, very near sited peacock who annually wages war with any vehicle that has shiney, reflective chrome. Watching my neighbor trying to fight back during the battle of the Durango had me laughing so hard tears were running down my leg!
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
mespro

Been there and done this

I too had woodpecker wars, on my cedar cabin in the mountains. Started with a female pecking a 4" diameter hole in the side at the top of the second story, pulled out a ton of insulation (all over the place). Then layed eggs. I got out the ladder and put a plug i cut from a tree branch and sealed it up. Next weekend it had pecked out half the plug and part of the side. Did the same thing. Next I bought a mechanical OWL that was motion activated , head moved and hooted. Plug was pecked out again. Next was the snakes, plug out again, Finally I bought a huge light weight nylon net with holes about 1/2 " square and draped from the eave to the ground about 1 ft from the wall. This discouraged for about one week. The wood pecker would then hop from the side of the net over to the hole and peck it out again. I finally called Game and Fish and they gave me a permit to shoot it with a pellet gun. End of Story.
mespro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
LuvsPalmTrees

Hi CUFFS054 - we had a neighbor who had a very large male goose. He use to come over to our house and attack our cars - he liked the chrome bumpers. His name was Burt. He chased us for about 2 years - then we did not see him any longer. I think he became dinner.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #24
antiqfreq

I hope the situation is being resolved by the poster without any endangerment to the bird.

I, too, have had bird problems in the past. A lovely male cardinal for two years wreaked havoc on my big pane kitchen window. He would crash into it several times a day. I thought for sure he'd kill himself. After two years he was gone.

But not to be outdone by the squirrels and deer - all our plums, pears and blue berries were gone before picking time was even here ! Dang, I hate when that happens.

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #25
robo

Wonder how he would taste with sweet and sour sauce or maybe soaked in italian dressing for a day or two then grilled. Ok gotta go dinner time
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #26
gspman

pileated woodpecker
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #27
gspman

LOL, just realized how old this post was...my apoligies
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, that "peckerwood" died of old age about 3 or 4 years ago.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #29
Marke

I have used both the owl and the snake trick keeping gulls off a boat. (Speak of a mess). The trick is to move them around from time to time. The birds get used to them being in one spot. So once every few weeks move them. I don’t know if those giant woodpeckers you have are like sea gulls and pelicans who produce out one end about three times what they take in the other. Good luck and let us know.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
I have used both the owl and the snake trick keeping gulls off a boat. (Speak of a mess). The trick is to move them around from time to time. The birds get used to them being in one spot. So once every few weeks move them. I don’t know if those giant woodpeckers you have are like sea gulls and pelicans who produce out one end about three times what they take in the other. Good luck and let us know.
This thread and the discussion of those woodpeckers is from 2014.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #31
bobbecky

Regardless of how old this thread is, it was still very entertaining to read. I can empathize with the original poster, as, we are in Arizona doing our snowbird thing, and we have a much smaller woodpecker here, Gilded Flicker, and they occasionally get together of several RV's and try to outdo each other pecking on the top of the A/C units, first one, then they stop, and somewhere else in the area another one plays his game, and this can go on for maybe a half hour. This is a very irritating way to be woke up in the morning.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #32
Marke

Quests I’ll have to pay more attention next time. Sorry about that.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #33
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Quests I’ll have to pay more attention next time. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. It is relevant information for others still today. This is what forums are for.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #34
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Regardless of how old this thread is, it was still very entertaining to read. I can empathize with the original poster, as, we are in Arizona doing our snowbird thing, and we have a much smaller woodpecker here, Gilded Flicker, and they occasionally get together of several RV's and try to outdo each other pecking on the top of the A/C units
I grew up in RI, and never saw a woodpecker in the wild until we came to AZ in 2000. Indeed, they are early risers and extremely loud. It occurred to us after we wired up a timer-driven light to regulate our chickens' laying behavior that our woodpecker problem decreased dramatically. Turns out woodpeckers are attracted to buzzing noises (they think it's a hive) and the outdoor timer we mounted on the shed puts out a constant low-level buzz, so now they largely leave the house alone in favor of attacking the wooden coop some distance off. I understand they can often "hear" AC electric wiring all by itself.