Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
concours

Rand Mcnally RVND7710

I was surprised to hear that the GPS that I purchased from Rand Mcnally which had free maps for life is no longer supported. not only not supported for maps but if you run a diagnostic repair it wipes out all the non supported files and renders the unit useless.
So now its time for a new unit and not sure what to buy
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I was surprised to read what you posted. I'd always assumed McNally was a "long term manufacturer"... Apparently not. The part I bolded, from the McNally website was some dismal news to me..... Apparently they've decided that 3 years is long enough to own one of their products... YMMV

Rand McNally's terms of service:

The Map Updates feature provides for map data to be updated when available, for the useful life of the device originally purchased with this feature. A product’s “useful life” is defined as the period during which the product 1) has sufficient memory and technical capabilities to accept updated map data and features, 2) can be operated without major defects or needed repairs. Additionally, Rand McNally will not make updates available for any product that Rand McNally, in its discretion, has designated “end of life,” which designation may occur at any time after the 36-month anniversary of the launch of the applicable product model.

Map updates are not transferrable to another person or another Rand McNally product. Map updates provided by the feature apply only to the same geographic map data as originally included on the specific Rand McNally device at time of original purchase.

Device owners are required to register their device in order to be eligible for Map Updates.

Rand McNally may modify these terms and conditions from time to time in respect to Map Updates for previously issued products.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I was surprised to hear that the GPS that I purchased from Rand Mcnally which had free maps for life is no longer supported. not only not supported for maps but if you run a diagnostic repair it wipes out all the non supported files and renders the unit useless.
So now its time for a new unit and not sure what to buy
I have a garmin 785. It’s pretty nice. Comes with built in dash cam and capability for wired/ wireless camera although the camera isn’t so great on a 36’ fifth wheel. Signal issues
Old 02-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
concours

Well after I posted the RVND7710 info today I called back to Rand Mcnally Tech support and spoke to a different and this time helpful lady who understood the concern, she spent an hour and 50 min remotely logged on to my GPS reformatted it re loaded the dock which had a corrupt file and reinstalled the latest available maps.
I guess I couldn't ask for more. The bottom line is that map updates are no longer available but at least it now works. The only thing that I lost was the history but the address file is intact
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

That's good news. Glad it worked out, even though it took multiple calls to find someone proficient in their products...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote