Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2024, 06:46 PM   #1
gregorypscott

Question Black Tank flush inlet connection at tank leakss

There is a white connection on the front of my black tank where the flush out hose connects. Every time we flush the tank with a hose. Clean, clear water would leak out underneath. I cut an opening in the underbelly to get to the problem. It looks like Keystone cross threaded a brass fitting into the white coupler at the front of the black tank. Not sure why they didn’t use a plastic fitting. Anyway, I’ve tried pipe tape on the threads, plumbers putty and it still leaks only when using the flush out hose.
My question is; can the connection be disconnected from the black tank and replaced. I don’t want to try unscrewing it and end up ruining the black tank unless someone can tell me if it’s replaceable. I’m trying to attach a photo but not sure it’s going to upload. Remember, it’s the white connector I’m wanting to replace and not the brass threaded part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6259.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	46114  
gregorypscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:59 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The white part is “spin welded” into the tank and isn’t coming out without damaging the tank.

You might try getting a plastic threaded plug, clean and dry the fitting, and then “glue” the plug in with a generous amount of silicone sealant. Then install a new tank rinser next to it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:10 PM   #3
gregorypscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The white part is “spin welded” into the tank and isn’t coming out without damaging the tank.

You might try getting a plastic threaded plug, clean and dry the fitting, and then “glue” the plug in with a generous amount of silicone sealant. Then install a new tank rinser next to it.
Thanks, that’s great idea if the white connector piece is spin welded. If I end up trying this, I’ll fill you in on the results.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:34 AM   #4
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

I like the silcone idea better, but if it doesn't work you can permantly mount the threaded piece with some JBWeld. You'll never get it out again, but it might beat trying to replace the whole thing. That stuff is amazing. fixed my dad's leaking pontoon boat with it and it held forever. They make special plastic weld and a multi-purpose that adheres to plastic, PVC, and metal.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:29 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJohnston View Post
I like the silcone idea better, but if it doesn't work you can permantly mount the threaded piece with some JBWeld. You'll never get it out again, but it might beat trying to replace the whole thing. That stuff is amazing. fixed my dad's leaking pontoon boat with it and it held forever. They make special plastic weld and a multi-purpose that adheres to plastic, PVC, and metal.

I'd just make the brass fitting the permanent fixture with JBWeld...that is amazing. I've never used it but repaired the attachment point of my snowblower starter engine with this in the fall. The engine casing broke off at the tapped hole for the starter. Cleaned it up, built up the casing and contoured it to be similar to what I think it was. Let it cure for a couple of days, drilled/tapped it and mounted the starter. Hope it lasts but I've used it about a dozen times this year so far.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 07:29 PM   #6
gregorypscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I'd just make the brass fitting the permanent fixture with JBWeld...that is amazing. I've never used it but repaired the attachment point of my snowblower starter engine with this in the fall. The engine casing broke off at the tapped hole for the starter. Cleaned it up, built up the casing and contoured it to be similar to what I think it was. Let it cure for a couple of days, drilled/tapped it and mounted the starter. Hope it lasts but I've used it about a dozen times this year so far.
At this pointe I’ll try anything first. If the job weld or silicone then I’ll drill a hole and install a new one.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:55 AM   #7
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Yeah - JBWeld is my go-to for anything that I never want to move again LOL. It just works.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:24 AM   #8
cougar23

I would go with JB Weld first. Just clean everything good before applying.
I fixed a leak in a gas tank 20 years ago with JB Weld and it is still holding.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:40 AM   #9
ChuckS

I would not bother using the so called black tank rinser.. haven’t used mine in 10 years on current fifth wheel .

Use a Valtera Kimg flush and you have that added gate valve at the sewer cap.. no messes..

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:08 AM   #10
notanlines

I’m going to take this opportunity to differ with Chuck on this subject. Unless your cleanout is a complete straight shot to your black tank and you have better than 100 psi water pressure, the Valtera King Flush is all but worthless. Stick with your black tank flush.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:58 PM   #11
GlasNav

For those with a straight drop from the toilet into the black tank, nothing replaces the spinner wand. From what I see in ads, Camco now has one with a flexible section for tanks that are plumbed indirect.
Onboard tanker ships we call them butterworth machines, same principle, rotating pressure nozzle.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, leak, leaks, black tank