Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2023, 05:05 AM   #1
KevinRC

Backup Camera recommendations

Hello All,

My rig did NOT come prepped for backup camera.

I have researched and Furrion seems to be the best and priciest.

I would really like a camera on the back of trailer as well as license plate/rear bumper on tow vehicle when backing onto the tongue.

I have read that wireless can be an issue with signal and who would want to lose signal at the most inopportune time or anytime for that matter. Comments? My trailer is only 21.5' tongue to bumper, add another 12' to get to the cab (truck is 19' stem to stern).

Regardless of which way I go, I have to get power to the camera, correct? I suppose that with wireless, I only have to get to or replace middle running light with camera as I have seen in videos.But then you have to have running lights on for that to work. Certainly less expensive option.

I am just thinking that I might as well fish a wired camera all the way down, under the rig and truck. Yes, that involves a significant amount of work and effort but in the end....

Any comments, suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Thank you!
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of rig.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	43796  
Old 05-08-2023, 05:02 AM   #2
jxnbbl

I have the Furrion S 7" color and have never had it drop out in the (about 20k) miles that we are pulling our trailer over the last 3 years. I would mount it and steal power off the middle running lights on the trailer.

We originally had a Bullet 273 and then now have a Bullet 330. It worked fine originally, but just to ensure the signal was strong I bought a repeater that is mounted on the front of the trailer, powered by the battery.

I have the backup camera as well as both side cameras and they have worked great. The side camera's get so little use it really is a waste of money for us.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:44 AM   #3
NMRandy

I have a Haloview wireless camera. I use it on a 37" fifth wheel. I have no problem with signal, even when on the back bumper. It does have some "lag time" with the image. I like it because I can use it on any vehicle. We use it inside our toy hauler when going down the road to watch the motorcycles to make sure they are secure.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:07 PM   #4
drrelli

I have the Haloview BT7. Haven’t noticed a huge lag. It does allow for recording of video, which I hope I will never need to use.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
Jonahex2099

I went cheap with my previous camper (Coachman Clipper) and regretted it, don't even remember the brand - installed myself, ended up buying the cheapest Furrion I could get and installed that myself too. Fortunately the mounting was similar enough between the two. Was pretty easy to do all around.

When we upgraded to our Passport I had a higher end Furrion installed...solid as a rock, display on the dash and about 40' between that and the camera and never drops, even at speed.

Spend the extra the first time...

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:21 AM   #6
KevinRC

Would like Camera for rear of trailer AND license plate

Hello all,

I have called Furrion and they do not sell a license plate type camera. I know they support more than 1 so I could mount it on the BRAND new bumper but if I accidentally lowered the tail gate. SMASH.

So I have seen Amtifo..It has both the rear trailer camera and license plate camera. Any input?

I have also see LeeKooLuu..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Raining in CT, but we NEED it so badly, been under a Red Flag warning the last 3 days. So, I am not so upset just wet LOL!
Old 05-21-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
KevinRC

What I ordered.. I can only hope and pray

Hello All,

Here is what I ordered from Amazon.

Seems that it fits my needs and desires. Only time will tell.

Opinions?

AMTIFO Backup Camera HD 1080P Rear View Monitor for Car Truck Camper Minivan Reverse Cam System License Plate Waterproof Clear Night Vision DIY Guidelines A2

AMTIFO RV Backup Camera Wireless HD 1080P 7'' Split Screen DVR Monitor Bluetooth Trailer Rear View Cam 4 Channel System Truck Camper Infrared Night Vision Adapter for Furrion Pre-Wired RVs A8
Old 07-12-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
KevinRC

Backup Camera Installed

Hello All,

I purchased the AMTIFO RV Backup Camera Wireless HD 1080P 7'' Split Screen DVR Monitor Bluetooth Trailer Rear View Cam 4 Channel System Truck Camper Infrared Night Vision Adapter for Furrion Pre-Wired RVs.

I mistakenly ordered the wired version of the license plate camera but found that by purchasing the backup camera, I got a FREE wireless backup camera. Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner. Being a newbie, I am not sure I got the best but it seems to do the trick.

I have moved to a new site 22 miles away, Internet is terrible and cell phone coverage is LTE and had yet to mount the license plate camera on TV. I just hooked it up to the battery on the trailer, secured it to the tongue jack and was able to backup to the tongue in 2 tries.

I realize that this is not optimal as I "may" want to tow other things.

Going to have to figure out where I would get power off of the TV.

Has 7 slot as well as I could get to the tail lights.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup camera.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	44532  
Old 07-12-2023, 09:27 AM   #9
tallen

My rig was prewired, and that prewire means, they pulled the wired form the lights on the back of camper to the hole they drilled into the back wall. My camera are only on when the lights are on. I too went with some cheap setup from Amazon, and for the most part works very well. Does it lag sometime, "yes", but since I know this, so no biggie. The camera on the truck was wireless too, and I had to wire it into the reverse lights. Just what I did and how I feel about my setup.

Maybe one day the DW will buy me the nice one for Christmas.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #10
KevinRC

License plate backup camera ON Tow Vehicle

Mine was NOT factory wired but I also ran off the running lights for the trailer mounted Backup Camera.

I was speaking of the "Free" license plate camera that I want to mount to my tow vehicle.

Sorry for the confusion.