Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2023, 03:37 PM   #1
mikej

Who has added solar to their 200i package?

We just purchased a 2022 Cougar 24RDS with the 200i base solar package which includes one 200w solar panal. We wanted one with 400i but found this one at great price and it allows me to add my own upgrades with the savings.

I would like to add one additional panel for now, but I am not sure the best way to do. Does it have to be identical to the one the unit came with or are their other panels that are close enough in specs that would work with the existing panel. I plan to wire in series.

Also, has anyone purchased solar panels through their dealer and how was much was it and how did that go? I know I could just replace the panel with a different brand of matching panels, but the factory one seems to work well.

We have already added one lithium battery and plan to add another soon.

Thanks,
mikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:19 AM   #2
jxnbbl

For my trailer, it was suppose to come with the 200 package and I was planning to upgrade to the 400. Anyways there was just the prep for the 200 in place and the dealer actually credited me for the components.

To answer your questions - personally I would just extend the same model manufacturer of panel on the roof. (assuming you have the footprint to do that). So add another panel. That can be plugged into the existing roof cap connector. If there is not an available connection they usually have an adapter to plug two panels into one connection that goes to the cap.

This can be done ONLY up to the limit of the wiring that runs from the roof to the controller and the capability of the controller. It probably has the capability to handle 550-600W on the roof? But that can be determined by the model of the controller and just looking at the stamping on the wiring to the controller.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:22 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's some "required reading" links on the Keystone website:

See page 15, Why can't I build out my solarflex 200 to be like the solarfles 400i?
https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...DF_QSG_WEB.pdf

Then, click on this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-200-overview and scroll down to the "Expand Your System" section.....

While there are as many ways to "upgrade the SolarFlex 200" as there are brands of "solar power components" not all of them are as "user friendly as the components recommended by Keystone" and not every component out there is compatible with the equipment installed by Keystone....

No, I'm not "recommending you follow Keystone's instructions for upgrading to the letter" Rather I'm suggesting that a good place to start your upgrade is to read carefully all the information provided by Keystone before you start "ordering parts from Amazon without knowing how they might interface with what's already installed so you can achieve what you're final goal might be"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:17 AM   #4
peanut

The panels do not have to be the same mfg. or even exactly identical BUT the specs - things like voltage, watts, amp - should be as close as you can get them. If not the system will not be as efficient as it could/should be.
https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
https://energyconnections.net.au/pag...t-solar-panels

When we were shopping for our 24RDS last fall, I wanted the 400i package but all of the local dealers only had 200i units on their lots. I asked each about upgrading (adding a 200w panel, adding a 2000w inverter, and changing the 15a controller to a 30a mppt controller). Each dealer said "no problem" it will only cost x amount of dollars. The x amount varied from $3k to just under $4k depending on the dealer. (Might be cheaper where you are. I'm on the west coast - it may be just my imagination but everything seems just a bit more expensive here than east of that big river)

Now, on the Keystone website, if you "build and price" a 24RDS, the cost for upgrading to a 400i package is less than $2k - - $1950 to be exact. I thought what the dealers wanted was too high so we kept shopping. Finally found exactly what we wanted, including the 400i, but we had to travel almost 400 miles to get it. Worth it IMO and we got as good a deal as any of the local dealers were offering.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
seanrmz

you could add as many panels as you want and mix the brand, as long as you respect the watts and amps and have the right wiring, and MPPT charge controller
you could get some great deals over at suntan solar.

sean

my build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	43630  
Old 05-18-2023, 06:58 AM   #6
Enzof104

I am looking to accomplish the same thing on my 221bh by adding a second 200watt panel. curious what direction you went in. I find the matching panel to be quite expensive through the dealer and can't seem to be able to find a matching one anywhere else.
Enzof104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #7
seanrmz

Hi Enzo, solar is a craving, seems like we never can enough LOL

I ended up adding more lithium 200ah more so 800ah total.

I also added more solar for a total of 1420w.

I am done now its about where I want to be with my set-up.

sent you a DM

sean
Old 05-18-2023, 06:39 PM   #8
Windfallguy

Hello all! I too am looking to upgrade my solar /charging system on my 202RD. In addition to replacing the dealer batteries with Lithium, I plan on replacing the the current solar controller with a dual input Controller/Converter (50 A) to allow faster charging from my tow vehicle. I am also looking at a 200 watt portable panel but wondering if I can use the Zamp side port to connect it to the system. (Does the Zamp input already connect to the solar controller?)

Comments, critiques, suggestions and dire warnings are welcome! Thanks in advance!
Windfallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 03:30 AM   #9
seanrmz

morning Windfallguy, I am no expert and just went with what I learnt on youtube and asked many question to the shop that sold me my equipment.
As for the dc to dc charger that will hook up to your pick up I know of 2 brands
Renogy 50amp output and Victron 30amp output. You would need to use the right cable size from your truck and fuse it from the truck battery for protection.

As for the portable solar panel using the Zamp input. I am not sure but I think you need to use a zamp panel with an internal regulator. I am not 100% sure about that. As I remember I too wanted to do that as an option but there was a reason why we left that out.. The Zamp panel was a bit on the pricey side. Also you would need to change the panel connections from MC4 to the zamp connection on the rig.

If you're going to upgrade your battery you need evaluate how much you need. I was told add up all your consumption and thats the size of battery you need... ya right, went with the recommended size and found out it was not cutting it. So I had to ( or wanted to ) LOL with 1 more 200ah battery.
Some will say.. hay your camping you dont need all that power.. well in this day and age all our lap tops, tablets, smartphones, esspresso machines...ect they take up a lot of draw and it adds up fast and I hate to battery anxiety. hihi And we now spend more time on the road taking more trips to dry camping spots so it broadens our camping season.

sean
Old 05-19-2023, 04:11 AM   #10
Windfallguy

Thanks Sean. I am pretty much in line with what you are suggesting. (Renogy 50A dual input, 6 AWG from the truck, 200 Ah lithium battery, and a 2k inverter box.). We sound like kindred spirits as far as power paranoia... Kind of takes the 'relax' out of the trip. My one remaining desire is getting some portable panels out in the sun (we like to park in the shade), but so far nobody seems to know how that Zamp port is wired. Guess I'll have to dust of my circuit tracing tools and see if I can map it out.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like I'm on the right track.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:22 AM   #11
Windfallguy

Just an update for those wondering. The Zamp port is wired directly to the battery. No circuit probes required. Just had to get my old tired body on the ground and look up! With all the noise the salesman made about what a great innovation it was, I thought it would amount to more than this. ��
Old 05-20-2023, 05:43 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

As Windfall said, the Zamp port is simply an easy plug and play way to connect a panel direct to your batteries. There is no charge controller so whatever you plug in there has to have its own. Lastly, the Zamp port looks exactly like many other accessory or battery tender plugs, EXCEPT that the polarity is reversed. The Zamp plug is only intended to be used with a compatible panel. Regardless, I would always double check the wiring before plugging anything into it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:42 AM   #13
seanrmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
As Windfall said, the Zamp port is simply an easy plug and play way to connect a panel direct to your batteries. There is no charge controller so whatever you plug in there has to have its own. Lastly, the Zamp port looks exactly like many other accessory or battery tender plugs, EXCEPT that the polarity is reversed. The Zamp plug is only intended to be used with a compatible panel. Regardless, I would always double check the wiring before plugging anything into it.
right so being so the zamp goes directly to battery the solar panel needs to have its built in MPPT. Or else it wont work

sean
Old 05-21-2023, 05:46 AM   #14
Windfallguy

Now I'm wondering about disconnecting the Zamp, and rewiring it to the new controller. Can I run panels in parallel like that?
Old 05-21-2023, 06:01 AM   #15
NH_Bulldog

The Zamp port is designed for a limited capacity portable panel. If the intent is anything more than that, I wouldn’t use the Zamp.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:40 AM   #16
Dogpounds

I have added a portable solar panel to plug directly into my Zamp connector on the side of the trailer. It is rated at 160 watts. This gives me the flexibility to put it in the direct sunlight as needed where the existing 200 watt rooftop panel is limited to where i park the trailer. Works very well and I bought it off Amazon on sale for $125.00. I also have (2) 100 ahm deep cell rv batteries for it to charge. The beauty is that the Zamp and the roof top solar panels are separate but they both charge the batteries well at the same time.
Dogpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #17
LadyCPA

I don't have all of the answers to your questions. We upgraded our Raptor 362 from 2 panels 400 to 6 panels 1200. No we didn't use Keystone. We used Eco Ethic Solar in Lexington North Carolina. They were so fantastic. They delivered as promised they worked with us to what we wanted and what we were willing to pay. They also built the custom lithium batteries 285AH batteries, to fit our space for less than buying off the shelf batteries.
The biggest help I can give, is if the RV qualifies as a second home, don't forget to take your federal income tax credit of 30%. South Carolina also allows for a state income credit.
Can't say enough great things about Cynthia Kinkaminsky
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #18
MrKABC

@Windfallguy what did you end up doing? Just starting my build and want to be certain I am on the right track before cutting holes and running wires.
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:56 AM   #19
Cheesehead4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKABC View Post
@Windfallguy what did you end up doing? Just starting my build and want to be certain I am on the right track before cutting holes and running wires.
MrKABC, if you're asking about the zamp port that he discussed. I just created a post (https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=56006) on a mod I made to that port which still allows solar charging, but can also be used for other things and has a higher capacity that the 10amps it is rated for.

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:05 PM   #20
Squanto

This guy does a lot of boondocking and his rv is covered with panels. You might want to research some of his upgrades.

https://www.youtube.com/@RVwithTito

Tags
solar