Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2023, 11:57 AM   #1
hacker01

Unhitch issue with Anderson goose neck hitch

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this...

After backing our 5th wheel onto level gravel driveway, put truck in park and setting parking brake, I chalked the rear tires and began the unhitch process.

Here is the issue... when the 5th wheel kingpin came off the truck hitch (Andersen) gooseneck, the 5th wheel lurched backward a good foot or so and the front stabilizers almost came off the riser pads.

Here is the question... what causes this lurching and how do I prevent it from happening?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #2
bobbecky

Were the tires chocked both front and rear?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
hacker01

They were ground chocked on the rear tires back only, not front, on both sides. I also had an X-chock between tires on the right side.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

You're going to have to find a more level site or get larger chocks. When on an unlevel site chock all four wheels. The X-chocks do very little to prevent rolling. I have a set and now find them so useless that i just leave them at home.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You're going to have to find a more level site or get larger chocks. When on an unlevel site chock all four wheels. The X-chocks do very little to prevent rolling. I have a set and now find them so useless that i just leave them at home.
Same with my set of X-chocks. The manufacturer stopped putting the warning tag in the box sometime around 2015 or so. Prior to that, this slip of paper was in a plastic bag, wrapped around each of the X-chocks....

In sort, they aren't intended to "chock a trailer against rolling, just to keep the tires from adding to "bounce inside the trailer". The warning even includes "raising or lowering the fifth wheel landing gear with the X-chocks in place.

It makes sense to me that if that kind of movement can damage/bend the X-chock, what could it be doing to the tread on the tires. With all the tread separation issues, I wonder if some (certainly not all or even most, but some) of the tire problems reported may have been made worse by hitching the trailer with X-chocks in place ???? ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X Chock Warning.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	45253  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:07 PM   #6
Canonman

There must have been some sort of bind or tension on the hitch from backing into your driveway. I've noticed it on our Cougar with the Anderson. So you're pushing the trailer back and there is pressure on the ball and coupler. When the trailer was in place, you set the brake and put the truck in park. The pressure was still on the coupler. When that pressure was released, the trailer lurched. What I've learned to do is after backing in I let the truck roll slightly forward, just a touch, to release any pressure. You'll feel it when it happens just know it doesn't happen every time. Just the opposite if I've pulled into a site. Use good heavy rubber chocks and chock EVERY time, both sides of the tire, before uncoupling. I've had others tell me this isn't unique to the Anderson hitches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8774-HDR-2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	45255  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:25 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

You might also try chocking the trailer wheels and then putting the truck in neutral to let it settle/equalize, then putting in park and setting the e-brake then proceed to disconnect as usual.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:46 PM   #8
hacker01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
You might also try chocking the trailer wheels and then putting the truck in neutral to let it settle/equalize, then putting in park and setting the e-brake then proceed to disconnect as usual.
Being this is first 5th wheel, when you say "e-brake" you are talking something other than the truck parking brake?

Also, I am using the Andersen levelers, so I have either pulled or backed onto them before setting the brake and putting into park. Sounds like the suggested principals would still apply, yes?
Old 09-26-2023, 04:19 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

The Andersen levelers come in 2 pieces; once you get level are you putting the chock in front of the tire. Also, the description of your problem is one of being on unlevel ground ("level" can be deceiving by just looking) and the tires not chocked well. I've had it happen to me as well.

Forget the x chocks as has been mentioned. Chock all 4 tires front and back with GOOD chocks and place them tight - I kick mine under the tire until they're tight. Whether 5th wheel or bumper pull if there is tension on that ball it's going to roll a bit if you haven't taken precautions against it. Mine always shift a little but if it's over an inch or 2 I missed something.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:45 PM   #10
hacker01

Thank you all for great advice. I have lots to try and garbage the cheap yellow plastic chocks. Will pick up 4 of the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.

Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2023, 04:52 PM   #11
Canonman

E brake = Emergency Brake (old guy name for it) or Parking Brake same thing.
Yes, once you are level and the chocks applied just move the truck a little to release any bind on the coupler, then set the brake and put it in park.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:06 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker01 View Post
Thank you all for great advice. I have lots to try and garbage the cheap yellow plastic chocks. Will pick up 4 of the heavy rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.

Thanks again!
I originally used plastic chocks which I could get at the local hardware. They are easy to run over and squish. I bought some heavy rubber chocks from HF as you suggested and they can't be run over and squished.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:33 AM   #13
MN Roger

This should keep the from happening. I ran into the same issue. When determining where you want to be, place a wheel chalk behind the tires. Now, back up your rig so you’re right against the chalks. Set your parking brake. Raise the front until you’re able to release from the hitch. Hop back in and drive away. The rig will not move backwards. Works every time.
MN Roger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch