Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
Readi2Roll

In Command + Lippert Stabilizer Jacks

I have a 2019 Cougar 26RBS. I would like to use the In Command system (via phone app) to lower and raise my Lippert stabilizer jacks. In Command says no way. Has anyone figured out a way to use a "gateway" or another device to do this? Seems silly to have to crawl into a compartment to raise and lower the stabilizers when there is this cool system that should be able to do it.
Readi2Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 11:22 PM   #2
Fish-a-Palooza

What does "in command says no way" mean? I use the in command phone app to control my jacks and it works just fine. Did you pair the Trailer to the in command program on your phone?

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:31 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-a-Palooza View Post
What does "in command says no way" mean? I use the in command phone app to control my jacks and it works just fine. Did you pair the Trailer to the in command program on your phone?
Must be only on 5th wheels. The OP has a TT and it looks like in 2019 his trailer could be equipped with either electric stabilizers or the Ground Control TT leveling system. On my 2020 TT with Ground Control 3.0, there is no incorporation with InCommand.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
Readi2Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-a-Palooza View Post
I'm pretty sure MARKCEE is correct. LIPPERT and InCommand had not "shook Hands" yet on the stabilizers in 2019. It should be a relatively easy modification, but would probably be cost-prohibitive if "gateways" have to be purchased (like for the A/C units to communicate with the InCommand brain). Neither company has yet to see a profitable reason to offer the solution as an aftermarket item. I was just checking to see if anyone out there had figured one out yet!
Thanks for your thoughts! R2R
Old 02-26-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
LHaven

I have the same model and year, and there is no connection between the two systems.

inCommand's control of motorized equipment in that model is rather brainless in that it doesn't have any capability of processing incoming sense or control data: it knows about slides, which stop themselves at limit, and awnings, which you have to stop at the right point yourself by hand or they just roll up the other way. And even then, in both cases, you have to hold down the button during the entire operation, or it stops.

The Lippert controller has a lot more discretionary capability than just "level the rig" and "return it to hitch height" (though 98% of the time that's all most of us use it for), and inCommand (at least that model) just has no protocols sophisticated enough for all that.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readi2Roll View Post
I have a 2019 Cougar 26RBS. I would like to use the In Command system (via phone app) to lower and raise my Lippert stabilizer jacks. In Command says no way. Has anyone figured out a way to use a "gateway" or another device to do this? Seems silly to have to crawl into a compartment to raise and lower the stabilizers when there is this cool system that should be able to do it.
I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE and my "ground control" unit is 3 inches inside the hatch, so no big deal. That being said if there is a way to do it from my phone that would be kinda neat. I'm going to check that out.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE and my "ground control" unit is 3 inches inside the hatch, so no big deal.
It all depends how tall you are, what height the hatch is, and how bright the sun is.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:02 AM   #8
Readi2Roll

Thanks again, everyone! I tried to include a few photos. My stabilizer switches are in there about 18 inches. I'm going to explore putting the operation of the stabilizers onto a corded controller that would reach the outside so I can observe their operation better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	43136   Click image for larger version

Name:	distance.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	43137  
Old 02-26-2023, 11:09 AM   #9
Readi2Roll

I asked InCommand how this could be done. They are always very helpful with TECH solutions, but did not have any thoughts on how to achieve this. They told me to ask LIPPERT about it. I have actually sent Lippert a request, but am not hopeful.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #10
LHaven

Wow, your control panel looks nothing like the one in my 2019 RBSWE. Two rocker switches is much simpler, and inCommand could maybe actually do that.

Here's the one in my model. It has a digital readout and all sorts of fidgety controls. I couldn't imagine inCommand handling this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 12.13.36 PM.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	43140  
Old 02-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks again, everyone! I tried to include a few photos. My stabilizer switches are in there about 18 inches. I'm going to explore putting the operation of the stabilizers onto a corded controller that would reach the outside so I can observe their operation better.
All of the leveling systems wiring harnesses are "pre-manufactured to specific lengths. Keystone doesn't (at least that I know of) cut or shortened any harnesses, so you might find "feet or yards of excess wiring harness behind the panel"......

It might be productive to pull the stabilizer switch panel and see if there's enough "coiled up wiring harness" to just extend your existing panel closer to the compartment door, in a location you can easily reach.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:26 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Wow, your control panel looks nothing like the one in my 2019 RBSWE. Two rocker switches is much simpler, and inCommand could maybe actually do that.

Here's the one in my model. It has a digital readout and all sorts of fidgety controls. I couldn't imagine inCommand handling this.
Keep in mind that the OP doesn’t have a leveling system, just electric stabilizing jacks. The two systems and their capabilities and limitations are vastly different. Since any stabilizing operation is very hands-on (just like manually cranking jacks down), I don’t see any way that it could be integrated into a remote system safely.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:28 AM   #13
Readi2Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
All of the leveling systems wiring harnesses are "pre-manufactured to specific lengths. Keystone doesn't (at least that I know of) cut or shortened any harnesses, so you might find "feet or yards of excess wiring harness behind the panel"......

It might be productive to pull the stabilizer switch panel and see if there's enough "coiled up wiring harness" to just extend your existing panel closer to the compartment door, in a location you can easily reach.
Excellent idea: Thank you! I will see if this works!
Old 02-26-2023, 11:31 AM   #14
Readi2Roll

Yes, you have a complete leveling system, mine is just a basic, stabilizer device up/down, front/rear.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Yes, you have a complete leveling system, mine is just a basic, stabilizer device up/down, front/rear.
I'm surprised by this. Mine is one of the first run in that model year, and the leveling system was standard, not optional, so I naturally assumed they all would have them.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:14 PM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
you might find "feet or yards of excess wiring harness behind the panel"
On that note, if your rig (like mine) has the center bin of your pantry blocked off, you can probably use this information to good effect. With a little bit of sleight of hand, and no rewiring at all*, you can reclaim that compartment (a 50% increase in pantry space) by running the wiring around the edges [LINK]. There was all sorts of slack in mine.

*I did have to buy a few screw-on 90° coax adapters to keep the wiring flat against the wall.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:25 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I'm surprised by this. Mine is one of the first run in that model year, and the leveling system was standard, not optional, so I naturally assumed they all would have them.
Yours is a Western Edition, his is a "Eastern Edition"... There are some significant differences in equipment installed in Oregon and what is installed in Indiana. I'd suspect the leveling system was standard in WE models and was optional in Indiana models.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:29 PM   #18
Readi2Roll

Bad Marketing

Quote:
Yes, this issue turned into a purchasing nightmare. Once the unit we wanted was brought in from another state..........and, Even the product brochure from our dealer listed leveling system as standard. It was not until the walkthrough/demo when I asked about the system operation did I realize it only had stabilizers. we then got into the "manager shuffle" etc. Just another chapter in the Purchasing an RV Nightmare Book. Life goes on.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:59 PM   #19
M&M2

My 2021 5th wheel has the Lippert leveling system and BCM pins 41-44 is for hydraulic jacks. It’s purpose was to make adjustments to front jacks when hitching. I never used it, so I disabled it from showing on the display.

This is how it’s labeled on BCM panel.
41 Hydraulic Valve (Brown)
42 Hydraulic Valve Ground (Red)
43 Hydraulic Extend Out (Orange)
44 Hydraulic Retract Out (Yellow)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:10 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Yours is a Western Edition, his is a "Eastern Edition"... There are some significant differences in equipment installed in Oregon and what is installed in Indiana. I'd suspect the leveling system was standard in WE models and was optional in Indiana models.
Interesting. I was once curious enough to compare the details of a western and eastern 26RBS, and the only notable ones I could see were bigger tank capacities and a variation in the weight and cargo headroom numbers.

Tags
in-command, jack, jacks, stabilizer