Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
RollingCarnival

Large SUV TV Recommendation for a Keystone Passport 268BH

Hey Everyone,

We've got the said trailer(overall length 30 1/2 feet) with a hitch weight of 820lb or so when loaded(Sherline LM1000 used). We currently tow with a Ram 1500 with air bags, and it fits our family(three 8-12 year old kids and 50 lb dog) fine. Kids are wanting to bring others with them, and payload on this truck is less than desired as we are up against the max now, so I've got the itch to get something that will work better.

I've been eyeing a larger third row SUV as a TV and DD, and there aren't a lot of choices from what I can tell. Looking at ~2018\+ Ford Expedition Max, or Suburban/Yukon XLs from the 2015-2020 body style. Heavy Duty tow package on either a must, as the 268BH can max a 7,000 lbs, although we are probably ~6,500 lb or less most of the time.

In looking over this forum, it seems like a lot of these larger SUVs aren't really favorites even though the numbers check out. I wasn't sure if anyone was having success with either of them as a TV, but just not posting. Any thoughts would be great, especially maybe what years to avoid, or ways to stiffen up the rear suspension.

WDH currently used is an Camco Recurve R3, and it most likely I'd use it with the next TV.

Thanks! :-D
RollingCarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but that trailer is too much for any SUV other than maybe an Excursion. The issue isn’t ability to tow (we all watched a Toyota Tunda tow the space shuttle, or a strongman pull a railroad car with his teeth), it is ability to carry the weight of the tongue, cargo, people, pets, kids friends, etc. within the cargo carrying capacity of the vehicle and with a margin of safety.

Imagine your current truck, with a steel cap over the bed, extra seats and more people……if you are close to cargo capacity now, it will only get much worse with an SUV. Add the extra responsibility of the safety of someone else’s kids and I think it is a bad idea all around.

You have discovered the issue with these family friendly travel trailers that can sleep 10 people. It requires more than one vehicle to get everyone there!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

An SUV is not the answer to towing any larger trailer and large numbers of people. Can it be done? Sure. Is it safe or advisable? Not at all. I've owned SUVs mid and large for over 30 years....they are not tow vehicles. Then, when you try to load them up with large numbers of people with a large trailer behind they only become a big disaster waiting to happen to those in them and those around them on the road. Proper TV loaded correctly and 2nd vehicle if you have to have "lots" of people.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
travelin texans

You'd have better luck finding a 1 ton van or as already mentioned get a suitable tow vehicle & put all the people in a seperate vehicle following behind.
With most any SUVs available you'll have 2 choices, haul the rv or all the people but not both safely in the same vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:37 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A friend of mine from way back in my Air Force days, had 9 kids. When they retired, moved to Kansas to follow a job at Boeing, they got into camping. He bought a Ford 350 "15 passenger window van" with a diesel engine and towed a 32' bunkhouse travel trailer. It was "amazing" to watch them all "pile out of that van, unload the storage compartments on the trailer, extend the awning and set up camp". Every kid had assigned chores, Mom set up her outdoor kitchen and Dad leveled the trailer after unhitching".... Come time to break camp, the reverse occurred. Every kid had specific chores, Mom broke down the kitchen and Dad hitched the truck. They all climbed into their assigned seats and departed, usually to the tune of "On the Road Again" by Mr. Nelson....

If you can find a 1 ton window van (yes they still make them, try fleet sales at most dealerships) with the correct towing specs, that might be your answer. With some of the newer engine options, diesel may no longer be a "requirement for reasonable towing capacity".

PS: And during the week, it was her "mom taxi/grocery getter" as she "taxied all the kids to various activities, appointments and events"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:06 AM   #6
markcee

John has a great idea with a window van...Ford 1-ton can be had with up to a 9950 lb GVWR in single and even dual rear wheel configurations:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...v=vhpnav-specs

Or there's the 6-door Super Duty option.....

https://www.kingseriespickup.com/
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #7
dutchmensport

That van is an excellent idea! But, let me throw it out there.... yep ... here it comes!

1 ton dually, diesel, long bed, crew cab! You'll never have towing issues or load capacity problems again!

We towed a 25 foot Dutchmen, a 31 foot Springdale travel trailer with one of these for 8 years, and then an Outback travel trailer (34 feet) for 5 years. It makes for a sweet ride. And THEN! ... when we decided to switch from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel, we didn't have to buy another new truck. We already had it! (we did go through 2 other dually's before we got the one that we currently have.)

ok .. I did it! Some was bound to.... right?
Old 12-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #8
RollingCarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I know it’s not what you want to hear, but that trailer is too much for any SUV other than maybe an Excursion. The issue isn’t ability to tow (we all watched a Toyota Tunda tow the space shuttle, or a strongman pull a railroad car with his teeth), it is ability to carry the weight of the tongue, cargo, people, pets, kids friends, etc. within the cargo carrying capacity of the vehicle and with a margin of safety.

Imagine your current truck, with a steel cap over the bed, extra seats and more people……if you are close to cargo capacity now, it will only get much worse with an SUV. Add the extra responsibility of the safety of someone else’s kids and I think it is a bad idea all around.

You have discovered the issue with these family friendly travel trailers that can sleep 10 people. It requires more than one vehicle to get everyone there!
Yeah...space shuttle...that was cute! I'm maybe only 20-30 lbs shy of the payload my truck has now(a lower payload amount than most trucks it seems), so want to not be riding the edge...and that is just with the family.

Getting something with at least 1,650lb of payload would allow me to breath easier in that department. I was figuring I'd have to do airbags and maybe additional minor mods(sway bar?) depending what we wound up with. Still would need to look at the numbers of the rear axle and GXXR stuff to make sure everything would work, but with a tongue weight at 820lb, that isn't too insane, so with the Suburban and Expedition at around 1,000 lb for the max tongue weight, I would have to think that as long as we aren't too close, even if we can't bring three additional kids along!(highly unlikely at this point)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:45 PM   #9
markcee

OP....a couple more comments:

1. While adding airbags, extra anti-sway suspension components etc., may enhance your towing experience they also add weight - which may negate any payload increase you achieved with the new tow vehicle.

2. With a 30' + trailer, a long wheel based vehicle is your friend. From what I've found online, the Suburban and Expedition have a 130" wheelbase. For comparison, my former tow vehicle, a '19 F150 shortbed (5'5") Supercrew had a 145" wheelbase, and that was pushing things (IMO) for my 33' trailer. I know at one point either Ford or GM made an 'EL' (extra long?) version, but don't know how much longer they are/were.

Chart below gives some guidelines for trailer length vs TV wheelbase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV wheelbase vs Trailer Length.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	42429  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #10
German Shepherd Guy

It is not easy to find them, and not sure when they quit producing them, but a 3/4 ton Suburban is what I use. It took me several years of looking to find mine in the condition I was wanting, I tow up and over and back across 10,000ft passes just to get to anywhere. I live on the west slope in Colorado. I do not have kids but do carry 75 to 85 lb German Shepherds, usually at least three. Mine is a 2012. Built on the long bed frame. My 26RBPR is not quite as heavy as your 268BH though.
I love mine and would not trade it. IF I am carrying extra to go to a dog show, more dogs and supplies, I switch to my 1 ton duelly Chevy box van.
Ford did build a diesel Excursion but they are even harder to find and those that own them figure they are made out of gold and titanium and price them accordingly. I think Johns idea sounds like a good thing for your situation.
Good luck

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

I agree on the van. My BIL bought a Ford 1 ton 15 passenger van that was used as an airport limo. He removed the rear most seats for carrying things. With the V10 gasser it pulled his old 30' 10k gvw Jayco just fine but at the expense of a lot of gas. He avg 6 to 8 mpg towing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
dutchmensport

The Chevy 2500 Suburban is still being manufactured. However, they are "fleet" vehicles. In other words, they are only sold to businesses, corporations and used by government entities. Sometimes, you can run into a used one for sale from a business or a government auction.

However, IF you can find one, they do make an excellent towing beast!
Old 12-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #13
RollingCarnival

Hey everyone, thanks for the insight. Highly appreciated! Not always an easy answer, but feeling better about knowing more in any event. Dutchman, the fleet Chevy Suburban 2500 sounds like it may be a viable option if I can find one a few years old and in decent condition. That fits the budget nicely as well!
Old 12-13-2022, 01:36 PM   #14
gearhead

Ill 2nd the 3/4 ton Suburban. I had one. Can’t remember the year, maybe 1984? Loaded 4x4, quad shocks, nice interior.
Passed it on to my 17 yr old son. It soon after acquired a lift kit and Buckshot monster muddier tires. Soon after that a rebuilt Turbo 400.
Only towing was from Houston to Candelaria TX hunting trip. Return trip back included trailer full of landscape rocks.
Those 350’s probably didn’t have 150hp.
If you can find a more recent version go for it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ill 2nd the 3/4 ton Suburban. I had one. Can’t remember the year, maybe 1984? Loaded 4x4, quad shocks, nice interior.
Passed it on to my 17 yr old son. It soon after acquired a lift kit and Buckshot monster muddier tires. Soon after that a rebuilt Turbo 400.
Only towing was from Houston to Candelaria TX hunting trip. Return trip back included trailer full of landscape rocks.
Those 350’s probably didn’t have 150hp.
If you can find a more recent version go for it.
I think the late 70's thru the 80's was part of the "de-tuning era" to meet EPA emissions. I swear Detroit at that time was competing to see who could get the least h.p. from the most c.i.d. existing engines and stick them in the heaviest vehichles they could find. Meanwhile, the European market and Japanese mfg were building new, small engines with higher h.p. to displacement ratios and building small hatch backs. And Detroit couldn't understand why their sales numbers fell.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #16
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the late 70's thru the 80's was part of the "de-tuning era" to meet EPA emissions. I swear Detroit at that time was competing to see who could get the least h.p. from the most c.i.d. existing engines and stick them in the heaviest vehichles they could find. Meanwhile, the European market and Japanese mfg were building new, small engines with higher h.p. to displacement ratios and building small hatch backs. And Detroit couldn't understand why their sales numbers fell.
Exactly. Somewhere along in there the Japanese started using computers. That worked so well American car companies did the same.
I sold that Suburban to a guy older than me. He lived in the next door town and followed me home wanting to buy it. It looked good. I had a fresh paint job on it and with the lift kit and big tires it was a looker.
Wish I had a picture of it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:31 PM   #17
German Shepherd Guy

And Detroit couldn't understand why their sales numbers fell. __________________
Marshall

Yep, it's a mystery.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 12-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #18
German Shepherd Guy

So we towed down to Silver City NM last fall and on the return near White Sands there was a boarder patrol stop. The Boarder policeman came up to my vehicle and said "where in the world did you find an 8 bolt Suburban? Want to sell it?" Hard to understand why Chevy will not produce 3/4 tons again for the towing market. Once upon a time that was the Suburbans claim to fame. Horse trailers and T.T.s were their meat.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 12-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #19
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Hard to understand why Chevy will not produce 3/4 tons again for the towing market. Once upon a time that was the Suburbans claim to fame. Horse trailers and T.T.s were their meat.
Agreed! Back in the late 70's/early 80's diesels were NOT popular yet. And crewcabs weren't really very big yet either so Suburbans were the workhorse for families going camping or just traveling. We had two when the kids were growing up.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
So we towed down to Silver City NM last fall and on the return near White Sands there was a boarder patrol stop. The Boarder policeman came up to my vehicle and said "where in the world did you find an 8 bolt Suburban? Want to sell it?" Hard to understand why Chevy will not produce 3/4 tons again for the towing market. Once upon a time that was the Suburbans claim to fame. Horse trailers and T.T.s were their meat.
I think it was the same EPA poison pill that killed the Ford Excursion, gas milage avg across the brand.

Tags
keystone, passport