Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #1
Pathman

Converter breaker tripped?

What would cause conv breaker to trip out of the blue? RV is stationary, plugged into shore power with a protector, haven’t touched the batteries etc.

Any thoughts?
2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi 4:10 gears.
2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:11 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
What would cause conv breaker to trip out of the blue? RV is stationary, plugged into shore power with a protector, haven’t touched the batteries etc.

Any thoughts?
Perhaps explaining "protector" would help give the question some context and what shore power source? 30A or 50A and who installed it? Also provide year, make and model of your camper might give some context to possible answers.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:42 AM   #3
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Perhaps explaining "protector" would help give the question some context and what shore power source? 30A or 50A and who installed it? Also provide year, make and model of your camper might give some context to possible answers.
George
My info is there already buddy!🤦*♂️

The protector is one of the good plug in units (forget the name) that I put out on the power post then plug into. It’s 50amp service.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Is it a surge protector or a true EMS? It makes a difference as some surge protectors simply report a problem and a true EMS will disconnect the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:59 AM   #5
Pathman

It’s an EMS, I can’t figure out how to load a pic. Progressive Industries EMS.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

How long had the camper been plugged in when it tripped? What's the condition of the batteries? A relatively new battery can be destroyed with a few complete discharges. Did it stay on after cycling the breaker?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:38 AM   #7
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How long had the camper been plugged in when it tripped? What's the condition of the batteries? A relatively new battery can be destroyed with a few complete discharges. Did it stay on after cycling the breaker?
It was plugged in for weeks, the batteries are a year old, condition?, yes it stayed on after resetting the breaker.
We were at the RV a few days prior and everything was working fine, voltage on screen was where it should be, 37.8-14., so it potentially was in the tripped position for a few days.

The only thing I did differently was I washed the RV when we were here a few days ago, not sure if that’s a coincidence or something got wet and tripped the breaker?
Old 06-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It was plugged in for weeks, the batteries are a year old, condition?, yes it stayed on after resetting the breaker.
We were at the RV a few days prior and everything was working fine, voltage on screen was where it should be, 37.8-14., so it potentially was in the tripped position for a few days.

The only thing I did differently was I washed the RV when we were here a few days ago, not sure if that’s a coincidence or something got wet and tripped the breaker?
Could be water got in. Don't know about the voltage numbers (mistyped?). If the breaker holds I'd keep an eye on it but not obsess over it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:49 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Sorry, didn't notice your signature. OK; breaker tripped. Is this the breaker on your pedestal or one in the camper at the power center? Your voltage numbers you mentioned didn't make much sense. My EMS reads 122V, 0 errors and indicates amp draw; mine is a pedestal (outdoor) Progressive EMS. If the breaker on the outdoor pedestal tripped, the EMS should have indicated an error....
Old 06-06-2023, 02:21 PM   #10
Pathman

Quote:
Sorry, didn't notice your signature. OK; breaker tripped. Is this the breaker on your pedestal or one in the camper at the power center? Your voltage numbers you mentioned didn't make much sense. My EMS reads 122V, 0 errors and indicates amp draw; mine is a pedestal (outdoor) Progressive EMS. If the breaker on the outdoor pedestal tripped, the EMS should have indicated an error....
Sorry about the numbers, mistyped. 13.7-14 roughly. It was the breaker in the panel not on the post.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:20 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Sorry about the numbers, mistyped. 13.7-14 roughly. It was the breaker in the panel not on the post.
You just noted the DC voltage and not the AC. The breakers protect the Alternating Current circuits. In my experience, the main breaker(s) would trip rather than the breakers for other circuits such as microwave, 12V outlets, etc.

If you do have a Progressive EMS hung on your 50A power plug on the pedestal it will be a PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X. If so and there is no errors it will say E-0. If the breaker(s) in your power distro box popped, one or both legs were overloaded by something in the trailer. The DC voltages you described were taken how? Did you read this directly from your converter or elsewhere? They are where they should be but this can be deceiving on shore power. Anyway, the popping breaker is on the AC side in all liklihood.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:42 AM   #12
Pathman

Quote:
You just noted the DC voltage and not the AC. The breakers protect the Alternating Current circuits. In my experience, the main breaker(s) would trip rather than the breakers for other circuits such as microwave, 12V outlets, etc.

If you do have a Progressive EMS hung on your 50A power plug on the pedestal it will be a PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X. If so and there is no errors it will say E-0. If the breaker(s) in your power distro box popped, one or both legs were overloaded by something in the trailer. The DC voltages you described were taken how? Did you read this directly from your converter or elsewhere? They are where they should be but this can be deceiving on shore power. Anyway, the popping breaker is on the AC side in all liklihood.
Ok wait a minute, I thought I was the one asking the questions around here!🤦*♂️😂

Yes it’s the unit you mentioned, the voltage I stated is from the touchpad screen, I didn’t take any actual readings. But jeez, is this how things work here, I ask a question and then have to answer 20 questions myself, and still don’t get an answer to my original question?🥴
If nobody knows, that’s fine, just tell me nobody knows!😂
Old 06-07-2023, 05:01 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Ok wait a minute, I thought I was the one asking the questions around here!🤦*♂️😂

Yes it’s the unit you mentioned, the voltage I stated is from the touchpad screen, I didn’t take any actual readings. But jeez, is this how things work here, I ask a question and then have to answer 20 questions myself, and still don’t get an answer to my original question?🥴
If nobody knows, that’s fine, just tell me nobody knows
!😂
You asked a question with barely enough information about "what happened" and not enough information to even identify which components were included. ANY answer based on your first post would be nothing more than speculation based on not enough information.

It is important to know the "what, when, where, why and how" before answering your question.

It's very similar to posting, "My car won't start, the battery voltage on the dash is 12.8 volts, what's wrong?"

Without knowing if you were sitting in the seat or if you were pushing the button on your remote starter, NOBODY can do much more than give you a guess on whether the battery in the remote starter is dead, if you're too far from the car for the remote start to work, or if you put a key in the ignition, turned it to start and the starter motor turned (or did NOT turn over)...

We are NOT "playing 20 questions" with you, rather we're asking for the information needed to make a "logical and accurate" recommendation...

Go to any doctor and tell him you have a problem and see if he treats you or admits you to the hospital without doing labwork, taking a history, maybe xrays or an MRI and doing an examination first.....

Your frustration is not (or should not be) with those trying to help (don't shoot the messenger).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:46 AM   #14
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You asked a question with barely enough information about "what happened" and not enough information to even identify which components were included. ANY answer based on your first post would be nothing more than speculation based on not enough information.

It is important to know the "what, when, where, why and how" before answering your question.

It's very similar to posting, "My car won't start, the battery voltage on the dash is 12.8 volts, what's wrong?"

Without knowing if you were sitting in the seat or if you were pushing the button on your remote starter, NOBODY can do much more than give you a guess on whether the battery in the remote starter is dead, if you're too far from the car for the remote start to work, or if you put a key in the ignition, turned it to start and the starter motor turned (or did NOT turn over)...

We are NOT "playing 20 questions" with you, rather we're asking for the information needed to make a "logical and accurate" recommendation...

Go to any doctor and tell him you have a problem and see if he treats you or admits you to the hospital without doing labwork, taking a history, maybe xrays or an MRI and doing an examination first.....

Your frustration is not (or should not be) with those trying to help (don't shoot the messenger).....
I understand that, I’m just doing some tongue in cheek joking here, no need to get offended.
That being said, if I had all the answers to the questions everyone is asking me, I would know why the breaker tripped!😜
What I was hoping was Id get a few people chiming in saying “hey my converter breaker tripped because of this,” or “my breaker tripped because of that,” and that something would correspond to what my cause of the tripping was and whether there is something I need to address.

I wasn’t expecting a pre brain surgery full CT scan and diagnosis! 😁
Old 06-07-2023, 06:26 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

If nobody knows, that’s fine, just tell me nobody knows!😂

The answer to the highlighted above would be "no" based on the information you've provided and the troubleshooting you've done. Looking at a touchpad screen as a troubleshooting tool is not troubleshooting and certainly not definitive. Without anything more your question is simply looking for an infinite number of guesses of the countless reasons the breaker to a converter could trip which is beneficial to no one. No one is trying to play 20 questions with you and everyone wants to help but it's literally impossible if there isn't enough information to even start to give an educated reply.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it? A breaker doesn't trip for no reason, eve if it just because it's weak. The other observation I would make is that in your 4th post when discussing the battery condition you just put a ?? To me that indicates you don't know what condition they are in. More questions; have you been maintaining them and keeping the water level filled? Are they dry? What is the converter output when disconnected from the batteries? Have you disconnected the batteries to see if the converter trips? Lots and lots of little steps to isolate a "possible" problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #16
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The answer to the highlighted above would be "no" based on the information you've provided and the troubleshooting you've done. Looking at a touchpad screen as a troubleshooting tool is not troubleshooting and certainly not definitive. Without anything more your question is simply looking for an infinite number of guesses of the countless reasons the breaker to a converter could trip which is beneficial to no one. No one is trying to play 20 questions with you and everyone wants to help but it's literally impossible if there isn't enough information to even start to give an educated reply.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it? A breaker doesn't trip for no reason, eve if it just because it's weak. The other observation I would make is that in your 4th post when discussing the battery condition you just put a ?? To me that indicates you don't know what condition they are in. More questions; have you been maintaining them and keeping the water level filled? Are they dry? What is the converter output when disconnected from the batteries? Have you disconnected the batteries to see if the converter trips? Lots and lots of little steps to isolate a "possible" problem.
You are an intense group, that’s for sure and for certain! That being said, yes I have a meter and will do some checking soon. I never intended, or suggested, to use the In-Command system as a diagnostic tool, I just provided the voltage shown which obviously indicates the converter was working after I reset the breaker. Also, I wasn’t looking for “countless guesses,” a couple of “this happened to me” would be just fine!😁
Old 06-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You are an intense group, that’s for sure and for certain! That being said, yes I have a meter and will do some checking soon. I never intended, or suggested, to use the In-Command system as a diagnostic tool, I just provided the voltage shown which obviously indicates the converter was working after I reset the breaker. Also, I wasn’t looking for “countless guesses,” a couple of “this happened to me” would be just fine!😁
The LCD screen on your In-Command DOES NOT INDICATE THE CONVERTER VOLTAGE. It indicates the DC voltage on the wire connected to the screen's computer board. That voltage comes from the battery, from the converter and from the solar system (if you have one installed).

WFCO troubleshooting tables specifically state that in order to troubleshoot the converter/charger, the battery MUST BE DISCONNECTED from the trailer wiring. Otherwise, you're reading a "combined voltage from all sources" and can not accurately measure any "individual component output"...

So, your statement: "I just provided the voltage shown which obviously indicates the converter was working after I reset the breaker" is not an accurate conclusion "IF" the battery or the solar system are connected to the In-Command system.

The reason why members are asking you for SPECIFIC INFORMATION UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS and from SPECIFIC DEVICES or using SPECIFIC METHODS to measure is because those "specifics" do make a significant difference between "guessing" and "diagnosing".....

Have you, by chance, read the troubleshooting guide in the WFCO Owner's Manual? I'm "GUESSING" that this is the WFCO converter/charger you have, since you've not provided us with that information. If you haven't read the Owner's Manual, you can download it here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...ies-Manual.pdf

On page 8, you'll find:
Converter Output Voltage
Before checking the WF-9800LiS Series Converter-Charger output voltage, disconnect the battery cables at the battery. Make sure the converter is plugged into a live AC source (105-130 Volts). Check the converter output voltage at the battery with a voltmeter. Place the meter probes on the disconnected battery cables; place the Positive (red) meter probe on the
+ Positive red battery wire and place the Negative (black) meter probe on the -Negative black wire on the battery cable (Figure 4). Be sure you have good connections at the cables.With the switch in the Lead Acid (LA) position, if the voltage reads 13.6 - 14.4 VDC (+/- 0.2) with no load, the converter is functioning properly.

If you don't follow the manual, then "you" (not us) is who is guessing..... Simply reading the voltage at the In-Command panel is not an accurate way to determine the converter/charger output voltage....

Years ago, I got bogged down, chasing my tail, trying to diagnose a problem on a multi-million dollar missile. My supervisor, after the missile was "on the dead line" for 24 hours, asked me if I had read the manual. "OF COURSE I HAD".... well, except for the note about how to set up the equipment for troubleshooting.....

So, from then on, RTFM has been the first step in every troubleshooting task I do. It has paid off more times than not.....

Give us "accurate information" and we can give you an "accurate diagnosis" Skip a step and you'll reduce the accuracy to guesswork..... IMO, that's where we currently are in this thread. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
What I was hoping was Id get a few people chiming in saying “hey my converter breaker tripped because of this,” or “my breaker tripped because of that,” and that something would correspond to what my cause of the tripping was and whether there is something I need to address.
Well, I've never had the converter breaker trip on my WFCO, and if my Progressive EMS shuts down power for any reason, it tells me why on its screen, in the "error code" and "previous error code" displays. So that would have been my first question.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Well, I've never had the converter breaker trip on my WFCO, and if my Progressive EMS shuts down power for any reason, it tells me why on its screen, in the "error code" and "previous error code" displays. So that would have been my first question.

In post #10 he says it's the breaker in the panel inside which would point to the converter or something affecting the converter.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:34 PM   #20
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
No error code on the EMS.

Tags
converter