Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2023, 03:49 AM   #1
Bamabox

Looking for a good 12v air pump

As the title suggests, I’m looking for a better air pump preferably 12v, that can get to 80psi in my tires without taking all day and the end popping off the valve stem because of the pressure. Anybody got a winner?

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:02 AM   #2
Max23

Well, it's not for everyone because you need a tad more space for it but I bought a 6 gallon pancake compressor. Not only allows quick air but allows a maintained and settable pressure for blowing out the lines if need for late or early season camping when traveling. Works well for me. But again, not the answer for everyone that's for sure. Not 12v though. Gotta have power. That would be a downfall here.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 04:07 AM   #3
notanlines

Hands down, the favorite on this forum is the Viair.
https://technorv.com/products/viair-300p-rvs-towables-and-smaller-rvs?variant=43094107291868&currency=USD&utm_medium =product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_or ganic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjw1YCkB hAOEiwA5aN4AWH5xiryrsbbK-yFgbDnsTFmQS4oCiA-TUIjG9CsbzN9okMZO8lTERoCXoIQAvD_BwE
Prices are usually in the $150 to $200 range.
I tried one years ago and sent it back because I didn’t feel it was a better product than what I had. Maybe mine was just not up to par, but I couldn’t get it to reach that 100 psi in a reasonable time.
Others will chime in.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:03 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

This question has been asked several times in the past so there should be many opinions given. I have air horns (train style) mounted under my truck with an onboard compressor. The compressor supplies 140 - 150 psi to a 3 gal tank.

I ran air lines to the horns obviously, but also to a set of 12v solinoids controlled with a dash mounted switches. This allows me to adjust the airbags while driving and helps to compensate for poor roads and is handy for hitching up and raising the rig to put the equalizer bars on.

Also ran an air line that terminates with a standard quick disconnect in the bed of the truck near the tailgate. The compressor will easily fill a 15" tire to 80 psi. My truck tiores (20" rims} taakes a l;ittle longer but well under 5 min if the tire is completly deflated. I use a HF mini regulator with an intergal guage. Attached to the regulator I mounted an tire valve fitting that locks on to the tire valve and works similar to a quick disconnect. I keep the regulator set to 80 psi so I don't need to fill, check the pressuire, rinse and repeat. I can hear the compressor run when I first connect the air line. I know when the tire has reached 80 psi because the compressor stops running.

The set up also works well for blowing out the air lines. Set the regulator to 40 psi, open low then point drains psi and and go inside, open faucets one by one. It's also handy for bike tires, rafts, beach balls,, etc. I used to use competer air (canned "air" used to clean keyboards and interior componets} to clean out the A/C filter. Now I use the air and a blow gun for that and for cleaning the truck bed after hualing wood to the campsite.

the on board compressor is also handy for using an air stapler or brad gun while doing reapairs. As you can tell by this lengthy thread that I find it a handy addition. Just my experience, your milage may vary.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:07 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

For me the type of compressor depends on where I'm at. If I have access to 120vac I use a 120vac compressor. Used to carry a 6 gal. pancake but found out about a Fini compressor (Lowe's) on this site and now carry it. As a note, the Fini, as I found out in March, struggles to get past 100psi. With the 110psi tires I have now I had to settle for 106 so it will be going to the barn.

As for 12v I use the Viair. I had a 300 and it was OK when I ran tires that had 65psi. When the tires went to 80psi it struggled as Jim was alluding to. I now have the 400 and it makes a lot of difference - also a lot of difference in pricing. I've had other 12v compressors and never found one that impressed me. The Viair does in both performance and build quality. I love the flexibility the 12v compressor gives you, particularly when you're stranded on the side of the road. Learned about, and used them, when I did a lot of off roading and don't RV without it.

https://technorv.com/collections/viair-tire-inflators
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote