Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2023, 05:59 AM   #1
MaxBottomTime

2023 Springdale Mini 1750RD - Solar/Water

Hello,

I have had a 2023 springdale mini 1750RD for a few weeks now, and am loving it.

Upgrades I've made so far:

1. Tail lights! The tail light lens tab was broken on the lot before i pulled off. I swapped it from another unit before leaving (picked up on a weekend and only salespeople were in). I wish that were the end of the troubles. My Ford pickup complained of tail-light faults sporadically. I pulled the wiring in out/traced it, checked for continuity and it all seemed fine. The truck tested fine also.
I ended up ordering a set of LED lights, and after installing them the faults have vanished (for now). I assume this is a two-fold issue. First, Keystone has used the absolute bottom of the barrel rear tail-lights with tiny, cheap dual-filament bulbs. I suspect current draw was near nil, causing the overly sensitive truck to assume that the bulb was out.

2. Water miser! The tankless water heater is a curse, not a blessing. When taking conservative showers, turning water off even momentarily causes the heater to kick out, and then to get warm water again it is 20-30s of running. I installed an elbow watermiser, routing under the shower, back to the water tank under the bed. I plumbed into the vent line, as the only other connection (aside from the large, corrugated fill), was a T valve that fed the low point drain, and then directly into the water pump. The instructions say not to put it in place of the water pump else you may introduce air. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the result - I can let the water hit temp before switching back to rinsing without filling the gray water or wasting the meager fresh.

3. Backup camera - Anything on this trailer that is labelled "prep" is a scam. The backup camera prep was a 1" hole saw being used to go over the 12v running lights line, with a hastily attached plate overtop. I figured it would have the furrion pigtail, mount, etc. No dice. I bought a cheaper camera & monitor off amazon and just spliced the running wires. I then siliconed the hell out of the partially visible jagged hole cut. Visibility with my truck was pretty poor before (I could see maybe 50' past the rear of the trailer in each lane next to me), and with this I don't even feel the need to use the clip on tow mirrors.

4. Inverter & Automatic Transfer Switch - This trailer was "inverter prepped" - which really means that they ran romex to the outlets through the front cubby, used what i can only assume was a crudely sharpened stick to jab a hole through the wall, sloppily pulled a loop of the romex out, then covered it with a plate reading "inverter prepped". The hole is seriously jagged, and the messiest part of the my install by far...
What I did was run an extension from an inverted outlet, took the RV off shore power, killed all battery power, killed the solar panels via the disconnect. I then cut the loop of romex. One end came from the AC breaker box, the other end went to the outlets. Keystone COULD have labeled this, but the person in charge must have been the one that jabbed through the wall.

I ended up mounting further into the passthrough, close to the centerline. I did this primarily as the battery cables provided with my inverter were approximately 16". I didn't feel like waiting on additional hardware (though I did have some appropriately sized welding cable leftover from wiring a winch previously), and keeping the run short is a good thing. I went with the "FIT4LESS" 2000w pure sine wave inverter. Seemed to have good reviews, and a remote monitor screen that you can use to power the thing on and off. Next to the inverter I mounted a a WFCO 30 amp automatic transfer switch, primarily because they had an amazon return for $25 instead of the usual $88.

When wiring the inverter to the transfer switch i ran into one additional complexity - this inverter did not have a direct load/neutral/ground output. Instead i bought a 15amp male plug, and a coil of romex to wire into the transfer switch. This was a dumb move. Romex is not sold by the foot at my local box store, so I ended up spending $27 on 12/2 romex, and $3 on a connector. Instead, I should have just bought a 12ga extension in the shortest length possible, and chopped that up.

The only remaining thing I need to do is run the remote into the storage under the bed, then cut out a hole to mount through the wall. I also need to address the unseemly hole the romex protrudes from. I'm debating taking the factory cover, and chopping it up (as it won't fit now due to my backing board holding the inverter & transfer switch).

5. Soft start AC - I went with a Briidea copy for $210 off amazon. install was fairly straightforward, though the capacitor was hidden behind a box within the factory GE unit. The instructions were just the files from the softstart (name brand) website .
It lights up like it is working, and is quite quiet when it kicks in, but then I never thought it was loud. I trust it is working well, but know that even testing these things is difficult because the compressor spike is so momentary (watt meters don't capture often). Took about an hour, so there are worse ways to spend a sunday morning.

Other than the above, I did the usual upgrades. the storage under the bottom of the U shaped dinette (i.e. not the passthrough parts) seemed slightly useless, but I bought one of those double, folding ottoman. I trusted a reviewer claiming it was half an inch shy of the 15" advertised, and ordered. Unfortunately, it is the full 15" so it is currently crammed in there hopefully "learning" to have a compressed padding on top. Will be nice to have somewhere to throw a couple blankets.

Future upgrades:

1. Water tank - The black tank is 30 gallons, the gray tank is 30 gallons, and the fresh is.... 21 gallons? I realize water is heavy, but 99% of the driving with the trailer is BEFORE it is filled with water. We can get a couple showers each, and 4 days cooking (plus filling brita filter, etc.). This was before shower miser so that will hopefully help the situation (plus spouse is not as conservative with water during her showers). We will be planning on boondocking/some remote usage for a week or so, and would like some more headroom. I pulled the plywood under the bed, and it would quite easily take a larger tank (a foot or so of length available, more than double the height, 4-6" of width headroom). I'll want to hit the scale ahead of time to see where I sit, but an additional 21 gallons is 175lbs. I would hope I have that headroom. In the interim, 6gallon camping totes will do to top up. On a separate rant, why is this thing screwed in? I'll be putting a few pieces of furring strips on the inside so I can leave the screws behind.

2. Storage in back - There is a small ledge behind the dinette on the driver side of the trailer. This ledge is a great place to throw a modem, store a blanket temporarily, catch a charging ipad, etc. It would also make a greater storage bin/wine locker. The passthrough storage below goes straight through to the dinette seat, and up to the storage. It makes sort of an L shape. My thought was, pop the screws out on the top, put a few blocks on the inside to keep it in place but still removable, and put in a floor above the passthrough storage. Keystone apparently not only screwed it in, but also nailed the everliving hell out of it. I'll eventually pry it off, but that made it lower priority.

3. Solar upgrade - I am pleasantly surprised the 200w panel has been adequate in keeping the fridge trucking along. I am going to be storing this at a local outdoorsmen club I belong to. While I don't need the fridge going then, it'd be nice to have the modem going with a few cameras (now that i have that fancy inverter).

I am still trying to figure out what I need. The trailer has the Victron Bluetooth MPPT 75/15 from the factory. I think I'd like to add 200w more of panel (prefer a single panel to match factory). I understand that the factory controller will not support more than 15amps of output at peak, but generally the panels are not running anywhere near stated power, so a second panel with existing controller would still be a substantial upgrade. I've also not researched the existing configuration to see how connections are made (i.e. in series, parallel, are additional connections needed, etc.). I do understand I'll need to pair 2x 12v panels or make sure I get a 24v panel. I could also upgrade the controller in the future (seems the existing victron only offers up to 20amp, so I'd probably look at a 40amp renogy to give best capacity).

As an alternative, I might sneak an extension cable at the club to keep it topped off.

Any feedback is welcome (particularly on the planned upgrades - the water tank has me most skeptical/cautious). If you made it this far I think I owe you a drink at the bar.
MaxBottomTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
jxnbbl

You didn't mention if you have an EMS for your shore power. To look at the improvements of the softstart I measured before/after install and found it a dramatic improvement.

There is a lot of information in here on upgrading the solar. IMO you would want to upgrade especially if you have a need to run a 2000W inverter. You don't mention if you've upgraded the batteries but you might want to at least upgrade to dual AGM or something. You will definitely need to upgrade the controller and check the wiring from the roof. I assume that it will handle 400-550W of panel as most prewires do.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:24 AM   #3
MaxBottomTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
You didn't mention if you have an EMS for your shore power. To look at the improvements of the softstart I measured before/after install and found it a dramatic improvement.

There is a lot of information in here on upgrading the solar. IMO you would want to upgrade especially if you have a need to run a 2000W inverter. You don't mention if you've upgraded the batteries but you might want to at least upgrade to dual AGM or something. You will definitely need to upgrade the controller and check the wiring from the roof. I assume that it will handle 400-550W of panel as most prewires do.
Thanks for your response. No EMS - something else that's a few hundred to buy (seems there are a dozen of those things).

2000w inverter was really about a singular appliance that will run for 3min a day - tiny mr. coffee espresso machine (1350w rated). otherwise, the 24" tv draws next to nothing, as does the Tmobile 5G gateway (40watts if the inverter is to be believed). I don't think i truly need that much more solar, but given partial shade in storage wouldn't hurt to have a bump. Realistically I could just run the generator for a smidge when out and about and probably be fine but that won't help with a wifi camera desire.

For battery, I've got the 100AH dragonfly battery. Room for another in the box. I'm debating getting a different brand (given the 400% price increase), but want to sort the battery heater component first. 100ah should be adequate given it is lithium. I also see 150 and 200ah lifepo4 batteries with the same footprint (though would want to research putting a bank in parallel with mismatched capacity).
Old 06-05-2023, 07:39 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Regarding the installation of a "true EMS" to protect input power to the trailer, jxnbbl touched on the need.

I'd restate his comment. A EMS is a vital protection for the entire trailer "shore power system" and you never know when a campground electrical grid is wired incorrectly, has entered a "brownout condition" which would potentially damage your electrical components or worse yet, may cause the trailer to become a "hot ground" and injure anyone who may touch the trailer skin.

There are numerous posts/threads on this forum and on any other RV forum that discuss damage to trailers and or to equipment in the trailer. As for "dangerous conditions caused by campground electrical grid problems" they do occur, and even though they are not the most common problem identified by a EMS, they do occur and if it's to "your trailer" then "one is too many"...

I'd also urge you to obtain a portable EMS or consider a "hard-wired EMS" for your trailer. The cost is not cheap, roughly $250 for a 30 amp trailer and around $300+ for a 50 amp trailer. That said, the cost of a replacement air conditioner is well over double the cost of an EMS that will protect the unit and keep it operational.....

While we could all "argue the point that an EMS should be standard OEM equipment", the fact is that Keystone doesn't install one and it's a VITAL component that ought to be on every trailer being plugged into shore power, either at home, in a campground or in a storage lot.....

PS: A $40 surge protector unit is NOT a EMS !!!!! This is one piece of equipment that simply doesn't come cheap, but the protection it provides is priceless every time it does what it is designed to do: Protect you and your electrical equipment from damage.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:43 AM   #5
MaxBottomTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Regarding the installation of a "true EMS" to protect input power to the trailer, jxnbbl touched on the need.

I'd restate his comment. A EMS is a vital protection for the entire trailer "shore power system" and you never know when a campground electrical grid is wired incorrectly, has entered a "brownout condition" which would potentially damage your electrical components or worse yet, may cause the trailer to become a "hot ground" and injure anyone who may touch the trailer skin.

There are numerous posts/threads on this forum and on any other RV forum that discuss damage to trailers and or to equipment in the trailer. As for "dangerous conditions caused by campground electrical grid problems" they do occur, and even though they are not the most common problem identified by a EMS, they do occur and if it's to "your trailer" then "one is too many"...

I'd also urge you to obtain a portable EMS or consider a "hard-wired EMS" for your trailer. The cost is not cheap, roughly $250 for a 30 amp trailer and around $300+ for a 50 amp trailer. That said, the cost of a replacement air conditioner is well over double the cost of an EMS that will protect the unit and keep it operational.....

While we could all "argue the point that an EMS should be standard OEM equipment", the fact is that Keystone doesn't install one and it's a VITAL component that ought to be on every trailer being plugged into shore power, either at home, in a campground or in a storage lot.....
Thanks John, I'll look into one at the suggestion of you/Jay. It may be a while before I am at a connected campground again (next few trips are deep off grid), but will try to pick one up before at a campground again.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

The benefits of the EMS have been pointed out and you are committed to getting one which is a very smart thing to do. I just wanted to give you an example (one of many) of what you could encounter;

Staying at a campground where they were installing new power peds..."looked" really nice. When I pulled the cover up you could see black all around the 50A receptacle. I checked it with a VOM and it was correct then I used the EMS and it said it was correct as well. The neighbor behind me (on the old power system) saw me and stopped to visit. Said the black was from a motorhome coming in and hooking up with no EMS. Melted the receptacle, his plug and fried his appliances because the plug was miswired. An EMS will prevent that. Again, that's one of many examples I could give but....you've made the smart choice, just get it before you plug into a campground again because you never know.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
jxnbbl

If you are off grid great but we have probably stayed at 45-50 places in the past 2 going on 3 years. The device has helped us 3-4 times. We fortunately don't come close to using the complete draw of the camper and in most cases it is just using a dogbone/adapter to use the 50A instead of 30A or vice versa and reporting the problem to the office. When purchasing our first camper in the fall of 2020 I gulped at the price and questioned the need but I'm glad I bought it.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:57 AM   #8
MaxBottomTime

I ordered the progressive Industries 30 amp portable EMS. Will have it with ample lead time before the trailer is used next.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:18 PM   #9
MaxBottomTime

Quick update: I've used the trailer a few more times, and also made another upgrade: A second battery in parallel.

I went with a WEIZE 100ah, seems to be a well respected budget brand. I spent a hundred or so more for the self-heated variety. From what I've read the existing dragonfly battery has a thermostat and heating component to apply heat when below 35f (I believe that was the temp, though could be off). This can be directly hardwired to be always on (still limited by thermostat), or in my case was wired to a switch from the factory. The additional battery I got is supposedly always on. I've not tested the function given it is 90F currently, but I am going to trust it works. 100AH should be plenty, assuming I can start a trip with them fully charged.

On my last trip, I had charged the new battery to 60%ish before, to have minimal voltage difference (unknown SoC on existing battery until i got out there as storage is just solar currently). I ended up having to use the generator for a few hours, because it was rainy and cloudy most of the time. With sunny days our usage woudl have been zero issue, but expecting espresso machine, fridge, fan, etc. on 200w of solar that was producing 200Wh due to the weather was not cutting it.

Other than that, everything worked well on the trip. I think i am going to do something dramatic solar though. I want to do it once and be done with it, and so ordered 2x 320w renogy 24v panels.

24V panels were hard to come by, and matching voltage specs of the existing panel proved to limit selection further. I considered 2x 200w panels, but for a minor price increase could get renogy (improvement over nonames I was seeing), and a bump in power.

The existing wiring is 10ga, and should be sufficient for this power (given length of run). I did also look at controller to batteries, and while that is 10ga it is under 5' to the jiggy box (which steps up significantly to battery posts) so should be fine.

I also ordered the larger victron controller to accompany this panel upgrade. The 50A might limit me by 10% or so the size of the array at full power, but for the majority of the time will be sufficient (and the 60amp controller from victron is 60% more, no thanks)!

The final (for now) upgrade I am making is the microwave. I ordered a recpro convection oven that is supposed to be a drop-in. I'm looking forward to oven/air fryer capabilities and will update on that install this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8139 copy.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	44463  

Tags
solar, water, springdale