Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
BobKat

Flat towing a Toad

There is a lot of conflicting information on whether any manual transmission car can be flat towed behind an RV. My particular concern is for a Volvo S40 but again, it's all very confusing. I figure the incredibly intelligent (and experienced) people here would have good advise.
Thanks for any help.
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:47 AM   #2
RJS3791RD

I recently transitioned to my 5’er after operating a class A and flat towing a car behind me for 10 years. Even with my 40+ years of working in the automotive service industry, I too struggled with “what can and cannot be flat towed”. Many of the manufacturers will not make a flat towing statement because of the inherent liability that they will assume by supporting flat towing. I would hesitate to make a blanket statement that all manual transmissions can be flat towed. Many of the cars today are also “all wheel drive” and that adds a nuance that also needs to be considered. Ultimately, I decided to flat tow a manual transmission vehicle that is also all wheel drive even though the manufacturer didn’t support it. My decision was made after I looked at the parts schematics and determined that it uses “manual oil slingers” internally in the transmission and transfer case that provides oil cooling when flat towing. I would do some technical research (talk to a tech who works on Volvos ) and than make my decision
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:56 AM   #3
Dacheedah

I have a friend that retired and pulled their jeep behind them without a Dolly. After traveling a bit they decided to get the Dolly and continued traveling.
Change #2 after backing issues they swapped the dolly for a flatbed trailer and he said it was the best decision ever for them. It was just more natural for him and his wife to pull, the downside is parking a separate trailer.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:01 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a friend with a motorhome that cost "more than 10 of my houses". He and his DW spend all summer every year traveling. They also started off towing a Front Wheel Drive car on a dolly, but after a year or so, had "rear end problems" with the car. He bought a "car hauler trailer" and drove the car onto the trailer, tied down the wheels with straps and never had another issue with the car. When he bought a new motorhome last year (he claimed the other was worn out after 50K miles) he bought a custom built covered trailer for the car. He says it's so he doesn't get "rock chips" on the car and so he doesn't have to wash it after every tow.

Anyway, while this doesn't answer your question about towing a Volvo S40 behind a trailer or behind a fifth wheel, or even behind a motorhome, it does seem to be the "answer most people migrate to, when they start out flat towing any vehicle behind another vehicle"....

As for the Volvo S40, what year and if type of transmission was an option, how is the car equipped ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
BobKat

Thank you all for the info. Ultimately we decided to go with another car because we couldn't get a definate decision on the Volvo.
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat View Post
Thank you all for the info. Ultimately we decided to go with another car because we couldn't get a definate decision on the Volvo.
I believe the S40 was last produced around 2012 ??? In the 2012 S40 owners manual, they indicate that it can be towed for a limited distance at reduced speeds. I'm guessing that's for the automatic transmission ??? (just my guess).

BUT: the "kicker for me" is the statement that the steering wheel must be unlocked by placing the ignition is position #2 and kept there by disconnecting the battery to deactivate the locking mechanism. If I remember correctly, Volvo uses the same type "computer platform and programming as Ford. If so, then when the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the computer programming must "relearn driver activity" and the performance/fuel economy/shift points will be reduced until the programming is finalized. If that's correct, then when towing behind a motorhome, every time you unhitch to use the car, it will have to "reprogram itself before it drives the way you'd expect it to operate".....

Probably a "good decision" to go with another type TOAD.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing