Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2023, 08:26 AM   #21
Rdynbama

I’m ordering new Sailun 14 ply to replace ours that will be 5 years old in September very low miles but we have a 3000 mile 6-8 week trip coming up in June. I would rather start this trip with new tires and not have that stress on my mind.

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:34 AM   #22
gbonner

How much is tires compared to you deductible and no camping for 6-8 weeks for repair?????
gbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:33 PM   #23
Lost

Putting credit were credit is due

Today I got 4 Carlisle Tires and sensors from Discount Tires. They matched Wallmart prices on both. There services was outstanding. One thing that impressed me was the sensors not only gave me the tire pressure but also the temperature. Don't know why I want to know the temperature of the tires.. If you know please let me know. Bottom line is that they did everything outstanding!!
Old 04-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #24
notanlines

Good on you! You made a good choice. Keep in mind that you are getting the air/surface temperature of the wheel where the tire meets the wheel, not the surface of the tread. Doesn’t hurt to use your dirt-cheat infrared thermometer from We-Be-Cheap supply to keep you safe!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:15 PM   #25
Rdynbama

True, I have the infrared thermometer in the door pocket of the truck and check all wheel hubs and tire temperatures when we stop at rest areas, fuel stops whatever

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:22 PM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
One thing that impressed me was the sensors not only gave me the tire pressure but also the temperature. Don't know why I want to know the temperature of the tires.. If you know please let me know.
I always assumed it was warning for undiagnosed bearing problems.
Old 04-27-2023, 05:30 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
that or a dragging brake shoe….. or pad if you have disk brakes
Old 04-27-2023, 05:31 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Undiagnosed bearing problems, binding brakes or locked up brakes, tire problems with tread separation, etc that causes a heat buildup but not an air loss (at least until the tire explodes)...

Once you get a good understanding of the functional capabilities and what is "really happening at the tire level" you can use the temperature readings on the TPMS to diagnose one brake that isn't working (3 with rising temps during heavy breaking with 1 that doesn't get warmer).

There are lots of "perks" to having a temperature capability on a TPMS system beyond "bearing problems".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:33 AM   #29
gogurd1946

We were coming back from Phoenix,Az when we had a blowout in Weatherford, Texas. The blown tire did body damage to my trailer and damage my hydraulic system to the point that my 4 rear hydraulic jacks would not function and the opposing hydraulic slides would not properly operate. We were stuck in Texas for 4 days trying to get the problem fixed. A shout out to Twisted Wire Hydraulic Company for helping us out. As we were travelling on Interstate 70 just east of Indianapolis,Indiana we had a blowout on the other side of the trailer. Once again we had body damage. The roadside emergency provider said to me it doesn’t matter what the exterior of the tire looks like the inner part can break down without notice. He said the tires should be automatically replaced every 4-6 years. I was pulling a 2020 Keystone Avalanche 5 th wheel. The date on the blown tire was 2019 - only 4 years old. I believe the original tires on these new rigs are cheap. It may be cheaper in the long run to have the tires upgraded and pay a little extra at the time you purchase your trailer. Happy travelling! ,
gogurd1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:44 AM   #30
Tireman9

Tire failures

Suggest you read THIS post if you want facts from an actual tire design engineer.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ght=tires+fail
Old 04-29-2023, 10:46 AM   #31
SargeW

One thing you can about always count on, the tires supplied with just about any towable will be provided to the builder by the lowest bidder. NOT the highest quality. I would be a better bet to change trailer tires at 2-3 years instead of 4-6. Way cheaper in the long run.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogurd1946 View Post
We were coming back from Phoenix,Az when we had a blowout in Weatherford, Texas. The blown tire did body damage to my trailer and damage my hydraulic system to the point that my 4 rear hydraulic jacks would not function and the opposing hydraulic slides would not properly operate. We were stuck in Texas for 4 days trying to get the problem fixed. A shout out to Twisted Wire Hydraulic Company for helping us out. As we were travelling on Interstate 70 just east of Indianapolis,Indiana we had a blowout on the other side of the trailer. Once again we had body damage. The roadside emergency provider said to me it doesn’t matter what the exterior of the tire looks like the inner part can break down without notice. He said the tires should be automatically replaced every 4-6 years. I was pulling a 2020 Keystone Avalanche 5 th wheel. The date on the blown tire was 2019 - only 4 years old. I believe the original tires on these new rigs are cheap. It may be cheaper in the long run to have the tires upgraded and pay a little extra at the time you purchase your trailer. Happy travelling! ,

What size, brand and load range were the tires? If they were OE I would never think of running them 4 years. I always upgrade the OE tires; on this one before it ever left the lot new, I just have no trust in the criteria used to select the OE tires. Some models from some manufacturers DO come with upgraded tires but they are few and far between.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:57 PM   #33
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well with a GVWR of 12,480#, you might consider LT235/85-16 E tires. Our 2005 Copper Canyon came from the factory with LT tires, they were 12 years old when I replaced them with another set of LT tires. Yes, weight rating is less than their ST counterparts, but the same quality tire you run on the TV, would you want to run ST tires on your TV??
You quite often mention the fact that your OEM tires were LT. There is a reason for that. Go back and study the history of Keystone manufactured trailer tire selections in years 2002 - 2006 and you will find the answers.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 01:10 PM   #34
CWtheMan

There is an inherent flaw with ST tires, they AGE OUT. some faster than others especially if they are stored on a trailer with its weight on the tires.

Some of the popular ST tire manufacturers were right up front with that fact. Others hid behind short term warranties.

As expected, ST tires with ample load capacity reserves will take a little longer to age out.

The newer ST steel cased ties seem to have a longer age. However, the steel in their sidewalls will react to overloading just as any other tire does. A lot of the steel cased tires used as replacements for OE tires have a lot of load capacity reserves causing them to have a much better reputation than the OE tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:03 AM   #35
WGK

My experience with factory installed new tires on trailer trailers and 5th wheels have not been good. Most manufactures only mount tires that meet their criteria; least cost as possible to them that meets weight requirement of trailer. Thus "Blow Outs", most times causing significant damage. It's a lot cheaper in the long run to change out those tires prior to your first trip. Make sure to upgrade at least one Load Range and get a high speed tire. Most trailer tires are not rated to run down the road at 70 mph.

When a tire travels down the interstate at 70 miles and its a sunny 85 degree day, bad things happen.

Buy replacement tires upgraded from factory specs and check the speed ratings and sell those tires you took off as brand new to recoup some of your cost.
WGK is offline   Reply With Quote