Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2023, 08:01 AM   #21
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwilson View Post
Our 5th wheel has a "South Bend" valve underneath with a quick connect. In testing it does not supply enough gas to run our blackstone griddle. No idea if this is an issue or just the nature of the valve. Help appreciated. Thanks
Make sure you have removed the regular off the blackstone. It’s not needed since there is a regular on the camper.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:14 AM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Make sure you have removed the regular off the blackstone. It’s not needed since there is a regular on the camper.
Using that fitting shown directly off the tanks there's no need to remove regulators. That's only necessary if connecting other appliances after the oboard rv regulator, this fitting is before that regulator.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
I used the same fitting, but removed one side that my grill & other appliances connected to & added a 1/4" gas valve to it then the hose coupler. I left the 25' hose with the QD on the other end connected coiled up on a hook in the propane compartment.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-27-2023, 08:58 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, i agree fully, the connection will also have a quick connect coupler so double the "snap shut" similar to the one located under the trailer.

One thing to think about when using the RV LP tanks for outdoor cooking etc. is how rapidly you deplete them. I do a lot of outdoor cooking so filling a tank is something I think about. It is a 1 hr. round trip to get my 30lb. tank filled and I can swap a 20lb. tank at the local dollar store in about 15 minutes - the hours are much better too. You've probably already thought of that but figured I would throw it out. It's one of the primary reasons I just carry 2 20lb. tanks. Not much of a deal in summer time but could get tiresome in the winter if running the furnace.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:44 AM   #25
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Using that fitting shown directly off the tanks there's no need to remove regulators. That's only necessary if connecting other appliances after the oboard rv regulator, this fitting is before that regulator.
I only know I had to remove the regulator from my black stone so I could get a good flame. After checking with blackstone and propane company that was my problem. It had two regulators. The one on the camper at the propane tanks and the one on the blackstone. Once I removed the on on blackstone all worked just fine. Mine might be different.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:09 AM   #26
grizwilson

Thanks

Quote:
I only know I had to remove the regulator from my black stone so I could get a good flame. After checking with blackstone and propane company that was my problem. It had two regulators. The one on the camper at the propane tanks and the one on the blackstone. Once I removed the on on blackstone all worked just fine. Mine might be different.
Yes Sir I agree, my issue is that we like to also use the coleman stove and propane light in addition to the Blackstone, so we run a main hose to a "tree" to supply all.
grizwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:24 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
I agree if you're connecting the grill to the QD that came on the rv, YES you will need to remove the grill regulator. The fitting shown connects directly to the LP tank so it has the full pressure of the tank so no need to remove the grill regulator.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes Sir I agree, my issue is that we like to also use the coleman stove and propane light in addition to the Blackstone, so we run a main hose to a "tree" to supply all.
Years ago I used a 20 lb tank with a distribution "T" to supply a grill and Coleman lantern. The lantern screwed on to the top of the tree which was supported by the lp tank. That wouldn't have worked if the tree was attached to a hose. I guess you could use a tripod to hang the lantern on tree.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:59 AM   #29
rbv1963

Valve on camper to blackstone griddle

The valve you are talking about is a low pressure port. We have a blackstone griddle also. At your tanks up front, the pressure gauge diaphragm lowers the pressure to the rest of your camper. I'm almost positive your grille still has a diagram on it. It needs replaced with an adaptor hose for low pressure systems. It eliminates the diaphragm on the grille. You can't have a high pressure diaphragm lowering the pressure that's already lowered at the front of your camper. This will fix your issue. Happy camping
rbv1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:30 PM   #30
NH_Bulldog

This is what my Nexgrill fitting looks like. I use a “Y” QC fitting with integrated valves just like the port under the trailer. Then my outside kitchen stove plugs into one port and I plug a 12’ QC hose into the other leg to feed my Nexgrill. I simply unscrewed the factory regulated hose from the grill and installed the QC male fitting in it’s place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	43376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	43377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	43378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	43379  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #31
WDPatterson

Quote:
Our 5th wheel has a "South Bend" valve underneath with a quick connect. In testing it does not supply enough gas to run our blackstone griddle. No idea if this is an issue or just the nature of the valve. Help appreciated. Thanks
There are two things in play:
The valve on the tank itself has a check mechanism that prevents flow from getting too fast. It is metered at the tank, and it is also metered to 11 in of water at the regulator. You will likely have to run a separate propane tank if you want to utilize another grill. Your grill has a regulator on it, as well, right?
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #32
grizwilson

Just put a splitter on the right side RV tank, issue solved. Thanks for the reply.
grizwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:21 PM   #33
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You will not get a Coleman gas stove to operate on the trailer gas quick connect. There is only 1 Coleman stove that will work, and unfortunately, it is not the one I purchased. The reason they don't work is because of the "double" regulator problem. So, I even tried cutting off the Coleman regulator and did some creative plumbing and was able to by-pass it. Now, only there was only 1 regulator, the trailer. Still did not work. Why? The trailer regulator is low pressure, the Coleman is High Pressure. There's not enough pressure for the normal Coleman stoves, even if the Coleman regulator is 100% bypassed.
You are correct. The regulator for the trailer only goes to 11 inches of water. Very low pressure.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane