Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #1
JShort880

Truck upgrade time. Eyes open please.

Hello Friends.

This is following up to https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=53763 (TLDR = Truck not safe to pull RV).

Moving into the solution stage. We are parked in Arizona until July 1st. I owe 63k on my F250 (Paid 73k) and I'm starting to hunt for the right truck to tow my 2021 Fuzion 379. In the post above, all numbers for the trailer are present including the scale numbers. Thanks again for everyone pointing out the problem.

So. I'm not a truck guy. I'm here to ask for recommendations and links to any good deals around the nation. I'm up to driving for a good deal, but to far east might not be worth it right now.

Biggest reason for this thread is to make sure I have some of you experienced folks spot check that the trucks I'm shopping are right for the job.

Thanks
2021 Ford F450
Old 03-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well while a bit impressed that you seem to have kept the GVW of the Fusion to 16,920#, but the longer you full time the the heavier it will get.
Your pin works out to 3,680#, you may not like it, but you are in DRW territory!
We full time and our only vehicle is a 2016 Ram Laramie Crew Cab long bed DRW.
Pretty much park where I like. You learn to back in a lot.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

If you are looking for a purchase in the short term in AZ, as you should, it seems there are some trucks out there? Deals...I figure that is going to depend on how you negotiate. I've seen some DRWs selling for about 73k online. What they have vs what you want I don't know. In your situation a good deal is great but you need to have a truck capable of carrying that trailer. BTDT many times on many things, but your truck isn't meant for that trailer so I would be getting the best deal I could get wherever I was before I hitched up again. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:51 AM   #4
Max23

While I'm not a DRW or die guy, I have to agree with everyone, that monster your pulling, while extremely nice, is probably gonna be in that area to be safe. No one can really tell you what you are willing to live with or without for features so it's gonna be up to you to find. If it were me, I'd go to a Chevy, a Ford and a Ram dealer and say, what can you find me. They'll have the best resources to look out in their network to see what's available. That's just me but that's where I'd be starting.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:13 AM   #5
jasin1

i’d give a serious look at an f450..the wide track front axle gives you a better turning radius then standard f350,ram 3500 and chevy drw..may not feel so much like your driving a battleship around..

i have a ram 3500 laramie drw coming from a bunch of srw shortbed rams and i miss the maneuverability.

And before anyone chimes in that they have no problem driving a drw ( looking at you Russ lol) …yes i know i don’t either …have had all kinds of trucks including big drw box trucks…. BUT it’s definitely different then a smaller truck..it just feels less sporty to me …not as fun to drive

i Think i would have been happier with the 450 and would have bought one but they were very few and far between when i was looking 2 years ago.
i think the stance looks nicer also..looks like it already has a leveling kit on it but that’s just my opinion
I may end up getting a 450 xlt in the future without all the bells and whistles because i tend to treat my current truck more like a luxury vehicle then a pickup truck.

you may want to look at 2019 up as they will still have some factory warranty on them
Old 03-18-2023, 06:05 AM   #6
rhagfo

Well Jasin, I many times I include the line “No it isn’t a Smart Car”, but I need to keep up with my DD! She has horses and I steered her to get a DRW to tow her four horse goose neck trailer. Hers is a 2004.5 Ram SLT 3500 Club Cab long bed. It is a few inches shorter than ours, but she whips it around very well.
Yes, there are drive throughs that I will not go into, but there are also many parking garages that I will use without issue. It is all about getting use to the size.
This includes Portland airport (PDX) and its spiral ramps.

ON EDIT: Don’t get me wrong, Yes a CC LB DRW is a big truck! That said one can get use to the size and deal with it.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:06 AM   #7
JShort880

Starting to get numbers today.

Biggest thing is I just want to spot check with the experience here to make sure I'm getting what I need.

For instance, I've found a 350 that long term I would love to have (Plenty of others things to use a truck for other than pulling the RV once we stop full-timing).

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...348736928/NONE

Then 450's around like noted that I'd be fine with as well.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...347240574/NONE

In the big picture, I don't really care if it's full bells and whistles but would rather it not be fully bear. Just need it to be able to do it's job and check the approved engine box.
2021 Ford F450
Old 03-18-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
JShort880

The above is just starting local. Will be looking at near by states throughout the next week.
2021 Ford F450
Old 03-18-2023, 08:20 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
While I'm not a DRW or die guy, I have to agree with everyone, that monster your pulling, while extremely nice, is probably gonna be in that area to be safe. No one can really tell you what you are willing to live with or without for features so it's gonna be up to you to find. If it were me, I'd go to a Chevy, a Ford and a Ram dealer and say, what can you find me. They'll have the best resources to look out in their network to see what's available. That's just me but that's where I'd be starting.
Max, the camper being discussed has a 17,000 lb. gross weight. Pin weight will be just under 4K lbs and with passengers, hitch and stuff in the tow vehicle the payload weight will be near 5000 lbs. I suggest a 17K lb. 5th wheel absolutely needs to have a dually pulling it. I have a one ton F350 but my camper is less than half the weight and a SRW is fine but would NEVER consider trying to tow a 17K 5th wheel.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShort880 View Post

Biggest thing is I just want to spot check with the experience here to make sure I'm getting what I need.

For instance, I've found a 350 that long term I would love to have (Plenty of others things to use a truck for other than pulling the RV once we stop full-timing).

In the big picture, I don't really care if it's full bells and whistles but would rather it not be fully bear. Just need it to be able to do it's job and check the approved engine box.
Its a great idea to not confine your search to new vehicles as used expands your pool much wider. My personal opinion (and budget) tells me it is best to let someone else eat the initial depreciation and used makes more sense. An examination by a trusted diesel mechanic is also a good idea for something that will cost so much especially if used.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-18-2023, 09:00 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:

funny i looked at that second one after doing a search..it’s a nice color also that looks good almost all of the time..i have a black truck now and it’s either spotless or looks dirty,..no inbetween
Old 03-18-2023, 11:25 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

That cab/chassis is an XL model so will be pretty much bare bones. They can be ordered with a little bit of foo fahs but still pretty sparse. I'm not a fan of a cab/chassis for personal use as I use my truck for more than just towing.

The 450 would be my choice of the 2 (keep looking) but it has been lifted. I would want to know how much and how that was going to affect your pin/nose height on the trailer. I like the color better too...
Old 03-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:

My 2020 F250 is an XL Sport gasser, and almost looks identical to the 2nd F450, and I couldn’t be happier with it. It’s not bare bones, but you’ll never know it’s just an XL, since I’ve removed the STX label in front. I know several 450 owners and they love them. The only issue i hear about is the earlier models had the death wobble on worn out suspensions. But Ford has come along way with correcting that.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #14
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That cab/chassis is an XL model so will be pretty much bare bones. They can be ordered with a little bit of foo fahs but still pretty sparse. I'm not a fan of a cab/chassis for personal use as I use my truck for more than just towing.

The 450 would be my choice of the 2 (keep looking) but it has been lifted. I would want to know how much and how that was going to affect your pin/nose height on the trailer. I like the color better too...
Understand that the Super Duty Chassis Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel is only available with the 330 hp and 950 lb. ft. torque engine. If you want the diesel engine with 500 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque you will need to get the pickup model.

My F350 is an XL model but it has everything I wanted in a truck. It's a diesel, 4 wheel drive with AC, P/S, Power door locks, power windows, cruise, intermittent wipers, tilt wheel, limited slip 3.73 rear end, automatic transmission, remote keyless entry, anti theft, dual rear wheels, and AM/FM CD player. It does have cloth seats but I'm ok with that. I don't need heated/cooled seats or leather.

It had an MSRP of $51K new and I've seen some new 2022-2023 ones similarly equipped going for $54K to $61K in the past six months or so. They don't sit on the lots very long though. Good luck with your search!.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Old 03-18-2023, 05:13 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Understand that the Super Duty Chassis Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel is only available with the 330 hp and 950 lb. ft. torque engine. If you want the diesel engine with 500 hp and 1050 ft/lbs of torque you will need to get the pickup model.

My F350 is an XL model but it has everything I wanted in a truck. It's a diesel, 4 wheel drive with AC, P/S, Power door locks, power windows, cruise, intermittent wipers, tilt wheel, limited slip 3.73 rear end, automatic transmission, remote keyless entry, anti theft, dual rear wheels, and AM/FM CD player. It does have cloth seats but I'm ok with that. I don't need heated/cooled seats or leather.

It had an MSRP of $51K new and I've seen some new 2022-2023 ones similarly equipped going for $54K to $61K in the past six months or so. They don't sit on the lots very long though. Good luck with your search!.

I understand on the equipment. Having grown up with vehicles with no A/C, vinyl seats (think I've still got skin missing on the butt/legs), plastic floor liners, no radio etc. I've done without on them. You can equip an XL pretty well but those add ons really run the price up. If you add them then all the things I mentioned above are gone but the way they now try to put one "must have" option in one package and a different "must have" in a different package, each costing thousands, is aggravating. The one thing I won't do without anymore is built in nav with a larger screen. That option will require trim upgrades with all manufacturers. It's a very expensive choice but I (dw for sure) won't try to look at a smart phone or a small screen shaking up on the dash (btdt). The cool thing is that they make something for everyone no matter what they want.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:24 PM   #16
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I understand on the equipment. Having grown up with vehicles with no A/C, vinyl seats (think I've still got skin missing on the butt/legs), plastic floor liners, no radio etc. I've done without on them. You can equip an XL pretty well but those add ons really run the price up. If you add them then all the things I mentioned above are gone but the way they now try to put one "must have" option in one package and a different "must have" in a different package, each costing thousands, is aggravating. The one thing I won't do without anymore is built in nav with a larger screen. That option will require trim upgrades with all manufacturers. It's a very expensive choice but I (dw for sure) won't try to look at a smart phone or a small screen shaking up on the dash (btdt). The cool thing is that they make something for everyone no matter what they want.
I agree with the NAV option, but I spent about $700 on an aftermarket sound system that has bluetooth and uses my IPhone NAV along with my Sirius XM and links the phone and text to the radio screen wirelessly. I believe it has an 8 inch screen and it incorporates a backup camera too.

Hands free voice operated also.

And yes, I fully understand the vinyl seat thing too!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Old 03-18-2023, 10:04 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
The above is just starting local. Will be looking at near by states throughout the next week.
Well when we were looking four years ago, I set the search range at 500 miles. We ended up traveling to northern Washington state, from the central Oregon Coast. It was a long day, but got a great truck, at a great price.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #18
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Its a great idea to not confine your search to new vehicles as used expands your pool much wider. My personal opinion (and budget) tells me it is best to let someone else eat the initial depreciation and used makes more sense. An examination by a trusted diesel mechanic is also a good idea for something that will cost so much especially if used.
Yeah I bought the 2022 because I just planned on keeping it forever. Sadly, the forum pointed out my error and I do have to trade up. Love the truck I have, but I'm not going new again. Seen so many 2016 and up in great condition for a great price. We will without a doubt be having a mechanic test for anything before making the drive.
2021 Ford F450
Old 03-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #19
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogg View Post
Yeah I have a couple of these on my radar that I'm going to check out! Thanks for the recommendation!
2021 Ford F450
Old 03-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #20
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well when we were looking four years ago, I set the search range at 500 miles. We ended up traveling to northern Washington state, from the central Oregon Coast. It was a long day, but got a great truck, at a great price.
Funny thing is plenty of good trucks around. I'll be linking what I'm thinking once I have a list.. Seems like we have a lot of support for the 450 here. We have absolutely no issue making a trip out of it and I haven't been to Oregon yet (so I'd be happy with that).
2021 Ford F450
Closed Thread

Tags
upgrade