Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
Balvar24

219BH Murphy Bed Mattress Replacement

Has anyone replaced the mattress on their Murphy bed?

After a two week outing, we've wore the factory mattress out.

I was curious if anyone has tried an 8" memory foam mattress on their Murphy bed.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
Balvar24

If anyone is interested, I picked up an 8" memory foam mattress from the local discount mattress barn outlet store emporium and it just barely fits. I have to compress things just a bit to get it to work. 6" would have been better from a fitment standpoint.

I may consider traveling with the bed in the "down" position. Not sure yet.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
twanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
If anyone is interested, I picked up an 8" memory foam mattress from the local discount mattress barn outlet store emporium and it just barely fits. I have to compress things just a bit to get it to work. 6" would have been better from a fitment standpoint.

Thanks for reporting back that 8” barely fits. I was thinking about a hybrid mattress (spring mattresses with memory foam toppers) since Walmart.com has some for under $300. I was hoping 10” would fit, but Apparently not!
twanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger View Post
Thanks for reporting back that 8” barely fits. I was thinking about a hybrid mattress (spring mattresses with memory foam toppers) since Walmart.com has some for under $300. I was hoping 10” would fit, but Apparently not!
Yeah. Don't do it.

Also, the mattress needs to be able to fold a bit.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
larry4747

I put a 2" Gel foam topper on top of factory mattress and it was a 200% improvement and it fits fine.
larry4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post

Caution(!) traveling with the bed in the folded up position. Unless yours locks into the up position with something more than the cheap slide bolts meant for residential side yard gates, it may not hold up to the road conditions and come crashing down on your jackknife sofa. We have a Murphy and always let it down when traveling. I don’t trust the hardware that’s screwed into the closets. It also makes a perfect soft spot for some things that are always out when camping but don’t have a home when moving along the highways and byways (like that glass turntable plate in the microwave).
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:06 AM   #7
Raymond42c

Super late reply in case anyone else searches this up.

1. We got a 6'' Zinus(?) off of Amazon for a lot cheaper than that other online "RV mattress" place the Youtubers love. It fits the murphy fold up just fine, maybe a little extra effort compared to the paper thin factory mattress. It was a MAJOR improvement in sleeping. We were able to fold it up with two regular pillows, a body pillow, sheets, electric blanket, and comforter all on it (it was cold this weekend).

2. I chatted with Keystone and they said to travel with the Murphy bed in the up position. I'm not sure I trust those flimsy bolts to hold it up over rough terrain, but I have it in writing from them. FWIW.
Raymond42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:35 PM   #8
Balvar24

Glad to hear about the Zinus. I was hesitant to buy online and went with the local discount store that only had 8" models. I would have preferred a 6", as it would be easier to fold.

Curious why they advise traveling with it up. May e concerns about the bed bouncing or mattress sliding?
Old 03-30-2023, 04:26 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd be very cautious about traveling with the bed in the up position with a thicker, heavier mattress than the OEM version and "taking Keystone's word that it'll be OK".... The first thing they are going to deny if there's a problem is the warranty repair. They'll simply refuse to cover it on the grounds that the "owner installed a mattress that was not designed for the space and the mattress is what caused the lock failure and the split frames on the cabinets".....

If you're "strictly OEM" and follow their advice, then you might have a good shot at getting an approval, based on what your dealership sent to Keystone for approval, but if you've "modified the Murphy bed" (installing a different mattress is a modification) then all bets are off with regard to Keystone fixing anything that goes wrong with the bed or the locking system....

You may never have an issue, then again, the wood that the lock is mounted on may split on the next trip..... This is a situation where, "Do you trust Keystone to do you right?"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 01:04 AM   #10
linux3

We have the trifold mattress and after a couple of years it was wearing kinda thin. I bought a 3" memory foam mattress topper and put it under the mattress and all is well.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:18 PM   #11
b1pig

Three nights on the Zinus 6".

Very pleased with it.

I thought at one point that I would have liked to try an 8" mattress, but the 6" mattress fits perfectly in the camper and against the ceiling in our camper when the bed is stowed up.

Wife had zero complaints as well.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, mattress