Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
weebl

Driver licencing requirements

As part of looking into options for the coming summer as we take our new to us 2010 Cougar 322 QBS on the road after we get a tow vehicle, my wife ran across this from our neighbouring province of BC:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...520endorsement

The GVW of the trailer on the sticker is 11,800 lbs, or 5,357 kg, which is over their threshold of 4,600 kg where special licencing is required. Apparently, for BC residents, this is an upgrade/endorsement that needs to be obtained over and above the standard Class 5.

My question is, how are visitors treated? There is no special endorsement required in Alberta where we live.

I am also sure that BC won't be the only jurisdiction in North America with something like this, so how is this handled for visiting/transient RV drivers in other jurisdictions?

Would love to hear from people who have experience with this.

I can't imagine a traveller needs to get an endorsement for every jurisdiction they will travel through, but maybe one does?
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I don't know about Canada, but in the states, what is required in your home state is accepted in others as long as you follow other highway restrictions. (weight and length restrictions, lane and speed restrictions, hazmats, etc. )
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
weebl

Thanks. I found this page posted by the Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association of Canada:

http://www.rvda.ca/provlicregns.asp

Looks like the same applies across North America, proper driver licencing in your home province or state lets you travel through any of the other jurisdictions.
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebl View Post
As part of looking into options for the coming summer as we take our new to us 2010 Cougar 322 QBS on the road after we get a tow vehicle, my wife ran across this from our neighbouring province of BC:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...520endorsement

The GVW of the trailer on the sticker is 11,800 lbs, or 5,357 kg, which is over their threshold of 4,600 kg where special licencing is required. Apparently, for BC residents, this is an upgrade/endorsement that needs to be obtained over and above the standard Class 5.

Are you certain that Alberta does not have any such similar licencing requirements for RV's in excess of 10000 lbs? I would be surprised to hear that drivers do not require a special endorsement.

I have found that RV salesmen sometimes "forget" to mention this since it would mean the potential owner having to go through a practical and written test - something which the prospective buyer might find a "nuisance".
Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
CarKath

Here in Manitoba you need a class 3 license , the following is our rule on it .

Quote:
Trucks with more than two axles, including any combination of vehicles, OR a truck with two axles towing a vehicle with a registered gross vehicle weight of more than 4,540 kilograms (but does not include a semi-trailer truck).
4540kgs = 10000 lbs generally. ( metric converting calc says 10008 , lol )

Our rules for licencing follow us wherever we go .
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Ruko

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebl View Post
Thanks. I found this page posted by the Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association of Canada:

http://www.rvda.ca/provlicregns.asp

Looks like the same applies across North America, proper driver licencing in your home province or state lets you travel through any of the other jurisdictions.

Looks like Alberta and Nova Scotia are the only 2 provinces that do not have a licensing requirement for a specified weight rating. I would hope the extra licensing is not too terrible for those who need it but I am glad I live in Alberta non the less.

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Koladog

Having gone through the heavy trailer endorsement licensing process myself in BC I can assure you that it is nothing too difficult or arduous. In fact, it is a process that forces you to learn the very basic stuff about how to safely tow something big and heavy. I'm not one for more governmental oversight but in this case for the safety of others on the road I'm glad someone qualified to make the assessment said I'm safe to use the road while towing the beast.

What scares me are the people who decide one day to buy a 14,000 lbs trailer and scream down the highway at 75mph with a 1/2 ton pickup.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #8
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
Here in Manitoba you need a class 3 license , the following is our rule on it .

4540kgs = 10000 lbs generally. ( metric converting calc says 10008 , lol )

Our rules for licencing follow us wherever we go .

I would double check with that, we have the same thing here in BC for class 3 language but it is commercial and doesn't apply to RV's the house trailer or heavy tow endorsements we need in BC are nothing but a money grab, I have to pay to do a learners and then I have to pay to do a road test again and the emphasis is on pre trip inspections, so what they are doing is trying to bring some of the commercial crap into the private world on a arbitrary weight basis.

if your from a different province you only have to be legal with your province's regulations in BC except for tandem towing, they will turn you around or make you drop your second trailer.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
CarKath

Hi Steve

Here in Manitoba it is strictly GVW based for a class 3 requirement. No exemption for RV's

Here is a quote directly from our handbook on requirements.

Quote:
Trucks with more than two axles, including any combination of vehicles, OR a truck with two axles towing a vehicle with a registered gross vehicle weight of more than 4,540 kilograms (but does not include a semi-trailer truck).
Includes all vehicles in Classes 4 and 5.
I did hold a class 1 once upon a time ,but let it laps as I thought I would never need it again . Well , I had to redo everything to be legal with our current setup. Written , pre-trip , and road test. Heavy emphasis on pre-trip as you said. Bottom line is I have a class 3 license now to be legal here and pull our trailer.

The rules definitely vary by the province you reside in.

Carl
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote