Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #41
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While towing, yes, most people are very aware of what's behind them. They are usually looking up to check clearance while going under an awning at a gas station, they're using their mirrors to check how the trailer "grows closer to the yellow concrete pole and/or how close their trailer tires are to a curb. In short, most people, while towing, pay attention to their surroundings. The issue, for many (certainly not anyone on this forum) is when they're solo, and DW is driving or when they "lose sight of the size of their truck" and decide to run by the bank and get "beer money for the weekend".... That momentary lapse of "eyes on the horizon not on the instrument panel" has "pinched more dually drivers than you'd imagine".... Now, as for anyone on this forum ever having that kind of issue..... Hmmmmm
Well I can certainly see how you fellows from back east who only drive duallys on odd weekends and the rare summer trip could forget that you're not in the Prius. But down here the soccer moms drive duallys to the grocery store and us men would never live down clipping a pump bumper... ��
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
While towing, yes, most people are very aware of what's behind them. They are usually looking up to check clearance while going under an awning at a gas station, they're using their mirrors to check how the trailer "grows closer to the yellow concrete pole and/or how close their trailer tires are to a curb. In short, most people, while towing, pay attention to their surroundings. The issue, for many (certainly not anyone on this forum) is when they're solo, and DW is driving or when they "lose sight of the size of their truck" and decide to run by the bank and get "beer money for the weekend".... That momentary lapse of "eyes on the horizon not on the instrument panel" has "pinched more dually drivers than you'd imagine".... Now, as for anyone on this forum ever having that kind of issue..... Hmmmmm

Reminds me of a guy I know. Decided to play "ranch owner" (4-5 acres), bought a few horses AND a nice new top of the line DRW. Promptly proceeded to go through the little drive through at the bank and got hung up. I thought it was hilarious....he did not.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't know why I'm "defending or not defending" the potential for someone to "bang a fender on a dually". I don't own one, but wanted to warn someone who might take "literally" that if the mirrors fit, the hips fit"... That's simply not always true... No need to "belittle Prius owners" (I'd never own one, BTW), but as Danny posted, even in Texas, they do occasionally "come too close to those yellow poles".....

I drove a dually in Alexandria, LA for several years. I never had an issue. That said, we towed the Holiday Rambler to Michigan one summer to visit DW's mother. We took the truck to Detroit to go to a couple of events in downtown Detroit. First, there's not a parking garage tall enough or a parking space wide enough or a on street parking space that a dually wouldn't "hang out in the street, guaranteeing that someone seeking insurance money wouldn't be glad to sideswipe and then sit there until you came back and they walk off with your "at fault insurance information"....

Currently, I drive a SRW SuperDuty, don't have a need for a dually, but if I did, I'd shy away from driving it downstate... That "metropolis" (if you can call Detroit, Flint, Saginaw or even Grand Rapids or Lansing a "metropolis") just ain't "inviting for a dually"....

While we don't have a Prius (I'd NEVER own one anyway) if we head downstate with plans to go "into the city" we take DW's Edge. It's just easier to park, easier to get within walking distance of "downtown attractions" and not as inviting when it comes to people looking for truck parts.....

My "sole purpose for posting" was simply to let "those who might be considering a dually" that there are "exceptions to that "mirrors/hips" rule.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #44
Javi

Quote:
I don't know why I'm "defending or not defending" the potential for someone to "bang a fender on a dually". I don't own one, but wanted to warn someone who might take "literally" that if the mirrors fit, the hips fit"... That's simply not always true... No need to "belittle Prius owners" (I'd never own one, BTW), but as Danny posted, even in Texas, they do occasionally "come too close to those yellow poles".....

I drove a dually in Alexandria, LA for several years. I never had an issue. That said, we towed the Holiday Rambler to Michigan one summer to visit DW's mother. We took the truck to Detroit to go to a couple of events in downtown Detroit. First, there's not a parking garage tall enough or a parking space wide enough or a on street parking space that a dually wouldn't "hang out in the street, guaranteeing that someone seeking insurance money wouldn't be glad to sideswipe and then sit there until you came back and they walk off with your "at fault insurance information"....

Currently, I drive a SRW SuperDuty, don't have a need for a dually, but if I did, I'd shy away from driving it downstate... That "metropolis" (if you can call Detroit, Flint, Saginaw or even Grand Rapids or Lansing a "metropolis") just ain't "inviting for a dually"....

While we don't have a Prius (I'd NEVER own one anyway) if we head downstate with plans to go "into the city" we take DW's Edge. It's just easier to park, easier to get within walking distance of "downtown attractions" and not as inviting when it comes to people looking for truck parts.....

My "sole purpose for posting" was simply to let "those who might be considering a dually" that there are "exceptions to that "mirrors/hips" rule.....
Well I do really appreciate the lesson in generalities. I'll maintain that with few exceptions my statement is true and while it is easier to start your turn early with a dually as opposed to a long bed, crewcab pickup or a Prius we all should maintain situational awareness.

I will never go back east again, and Dallas or Houston is big enough for me.. I spent the day Monday last driving around Dallas to meetings with customers in my dually. Frankly I wouldn't want to drive a car in that traffic.

Thanks again and I'll refrain from extolling the virtues of duallys on this forum going forward.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well I do really appreciate the lesson in generalities. I'll maintain that with few exceptions my statement is true and while it is easier to start your turn early with a dually as opposed to a long bed, crewcab pickup or a Prius we all should maintain situational awareness.

I will never go back east again, and Dallas or Houston is big enough for me.. I spent the day Monday last driving around Dallas to meetings with customers in my dually. Frankly I wouldn't want to drive a car in that traffic.

Thanks again and I'll refrain from espousing the virtues of duallys on this forum going forward.

Javi, I think you can espouse the virtues of a dually whenever you want. Although I do not own one I believe they have a place and are a great tool in our "tool box" for the towing world - some day I may have one.

As far going east....remember never is a big word ....what if your DD/GDs moved there like mine? And here I am at the moment....

Dallas and Houston are far too large for me. Used to go to DFW all the time but as time passes dealing with all that isn't for me - heck, even Tallahasse at 300k or so is more than I want. And like you, when in city traffic I don't want to, and won't, drive a "car" (but haven't owned one since 1989). Keep on keepin on.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #46
Badbart56

I'm sure it's a perspective thing. But if you plan on hauling a fifth wheel around, driving a dually should be a breeze. But it's true, when I step out of the 80 foot tractor/trailer that my wife and I drive every day, my F-350 Crew Cab Dually just doesn't seem all that intimidating. Especially after driving that rig through the boroughs of Pennsylvania.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #47
scottz

So, I wonder if noezoom got his question answered?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
So, I wonder if noezoom got his question answered?

Well, he had a wide open question about towing which then will invite/involve lots of comments. Hopefully he did. He would be the only one to know...
Old 11-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #49
rhagfo

Quote:
First of all there is no reason not to have a DRW, if you need one, period!
One learns the size of the hips, our DRW is our only vehicle we both drive it no issues.
DD has a DRW 2004 Ram 3500 CC, she uses it to tow her horse trailers. One of. Which is a 4 horse with small living quarters. She also drives a VW Jetta.
If you want a large heavy 5er, learn to live with the fact that you need a capable TV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #50
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well I can certainly see how you fellows from back east who only drive duallys on odd weekends and the rare summer trip could forget that you're not in the Prius. But down here the soccer moms drive duallys to the grocery store and us men would never live down clipping a pump bumper... ��
LMAO! You took the words out of my mouth.
I haven't buggered up the hips but I did back into a 4ft pole at the RV shop. But...I had the cabover on the truck, so no tailgate and no rear camera. And I was P.O.'ed.
I drive mine everywhere, downtown Houston, downtown Liberty. I do try to park away from busy storefronts, but I do that with the DW's SUV too. If I'm hanging out in the street, then I'm hanging out in the street.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:08 AM   #51
cavie

Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #52
rhagfo

I will add that those think they can buy a 36' to 40'+ 5er and tow it with a 3500 SRW need to look closely at their math!
Our 32' 5er scales a little fat at about 13,000# and carries a 2,800# pin. When replacing our 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with a new TV, after being 1,700# over GVWR, I didn't want to be close again.
I my way of thinking even moving to a newer 3500 SRW was a lateral move, so we got a 3500 DRW. Well once we loaded it up with in bed tool box, hitch and puck adapter, me DW and 30# Beagle, we had used 1,411# of our available 5,411# payload!
Now if we had bought a 3500 SRW with the same trim we would have had about 4,000# to 4,200# of payload on the sticker. Well 4,200# - 1,411# = 2,789! That would put me 11# over GVWR out the door!
The SRW I would have looked at was a Ram post 2013 with a GVWR of 12,300#, the highest SRW GVWR until 2020!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #53
aya1984

Definitely, purchase the F350. You will feel less drag/pull on your truck. Dually is optional. I have a Ram 2500 and I should have purchased the 3500. Next time I will.
aya1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #54
Hamlej

I'll make this real easy for you. Just purchase an F350 dually, 14000k GVWR with a long bed and Turbodiesel. Sooner or later you will upgrade the trailer no matter what you think now. This will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 Montana 3820FK
2019 Ford F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #55
LewisB

To the OP: In your consideration of payload, I'd ask if you have thought about the potential need for an auxiliary fuel tank? Many of us with the bigger trailers have found that getting a big truck (e.g. DRW F350) and big trailer makes getting fuel more difficult. Unless you shop exclusively at interstate truck stops, the big rigs can be a problem at fuel stations.

I know a lot of people will disagree and for them, this is not an issue. But we wanted to be able to travel more than a day's worth without having to unhook or search out a big-rig friendly fuel station. So an auxiliary fuel tank was added to our tow vehicle. I love being able to leave home and travel all the way to Colorado before I have to mess with fuel.

You may not be interested in this - many are not and would consider it to be foolishness. But part of your pre-purchase plan should be to at least think this through for yourself.

We love our DRW F350 - excess payload is a marvelous thing!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #56
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
To the OP: In your consideration of payload, I'd ask if you have thought about the potential need for an auxiliary fuel tank? Many of us with the bigger trailers have found that getting a big truck (e.g. DRW F350) and big trailer makes getting fuel more difficult. Unless you shop exclusively at interstate truck stops, the big rigs can be a problem at fuel stations.

I know a lot of people will disagree and for them, this is not an issue. But we wanted to be able to travel more than a day's worth without having to unhook or search out a big-rig friendly fuel station. So an auxiliary fuel tank was added to our tow vehicle. I love being able to leave home and travel all the way to Colorado before I have to mess with fuel.

You may not be interested in this - many are not and would consider it to be foolishness. But part of your pre-purchase plan should be to at least think this through for yourself.

We love our DRW F350 - excess payload is a marvelous thing!

We seldom travel interstates or even 4 lane roads and most of our fill ups are at regular gas stations or at HEB/Walmart stations and even a little 28' 5th wheel is often a challenge to maneuver into position. In addition, many times some guy with a little bitty car will fill up in the lane with the diesel and it is hard to get in line to use that pump. I imagine that unhooking would be simpler but there is often no spot right there to do I have thought about an aux tank for that reason. I am sure the real truckers out there don't have issues but I have had them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #57
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlej View Post
I'll make this real easy for you. Just purchase an F350 dually, 14000k GVWR with a long bed and Turbodiesel. Sooner or later you will upgrade the trailer no matter what you think now. This will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Yep, I'm on my 4th truck and 3rd fifth wheel in 9 years.
Don't be like me.
Y'all think the stock market will keep going up a couple more years?? LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #58
Harried Harry

Javi, those "height" signs will fool many people since seldom do the repair people redo the sign after applying new asphalt. After two to five "repairs" you can easlily lose a foot of height. I try to give myself at least 6" of fudge factor, but it doesn't always work.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #59
Harried Harry

Ford now provides a larger fuel tank of 48 gallons on the F350 models (2020, 2021). Trying to buy anything but a diesel is a real challenge. I've looked for over six months and only found one Ford with the 7.3 gas engine. Since I haul a 3200# truck camper fully loaded, I want to upgrade from my current 08 Dodge w/Cummins.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #60
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlej View Post
Or either of the other brands of dually diesels would be a very good choice as well!
Personally not a Ford fan!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote