RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #61
Bill-2020

Maybe you’ll get a replacement out of them... but too bad it’ll be their brand you get. Better than nothing, but...

Old 11-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #62
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Maybe you’ll get a replacement out of them... but too bad it’ll be their brand you get. Better than nothing, but...
Just thinking out loud: It may not be "better than nothing".... Even if they do "give you a replacement tire" you'll still have to spend money to replace the tire cover and, "if it happens again (same brand replacement tire)" you'll be buying "yet one more" tire cover......

So, like taking home that "gift horse you got for free" you're still going to have to build a barn, buy oats, a shovel to clean out the stall and find some place that needs fertilizer..... Not much in life is "free", whether it's a "gift horse or a "china bomb".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #63
blubuckaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The issue is not the cover but the fact that a tire under a black cover is aging AT LEAST 4 times faster than a tire in use and in shade or under a white cover. Aging (loss of rubber strength) rate doubles with every increase in temperature of 18F
In my simple test on a day with some clouds I measured a +38F . It might be +50 in clear sky full sun which would make the rate 8 times faster so a 4 year old tire might have rubber with the flexibility and strength of 16 to 32 year old tire. The top is going to be hotter than the bottom so there is the reason for all the tires seen with this condition to have the failure on the top. Maybe this is why you wonít find black spare tire covers o

The reason for the belt separation in the force of Interply Shear that is in all radial tires. I also cover that in my blog or you can Google Interply Shear tire and find links to technical papers.

This is not Magic folks but basic science.

A simple statement of the tire failed because the top was fully exposed to sunlight and overheated by the use of a black cover that also retained the heat in the tire. This literally baked the life out of the tire.

While I have not examined this tire there appears to be a Nylon overlay which can make a tire more resistant to this type of failure but will not completely eliminate the possibility of failure.

RE Jeeps etc that have a tire on the back. Think this could be a strong contributor to any tire failure early in life when you hear them say I checked the air in my tire but I still had a blowout. Wonder how many moved the spare from the back tailgate to a ground tire.
I agree, and the silly arguments about this is disappointing. Itís no wonder you canít find a black spare tire cover on the shelf at a Camping World.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #64
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I agree, and the silly arguments about this is disappointing. It’s no wonder you can’t find a black spare tire cover on the shelf at a Camping World.
Actually- you can.

https://www.campingworld.com/element...ir-630124.html

Or

https://www.campingworld.com/adco-sp...%2Ftire-covers
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:46 AM   #65
blubuckaroo

Yes, I've had to order them.
Just try to find them in the Camper World store though.

blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote