Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #81
thatoneguy

Also the voltage drop was the converter going bzzzztt lol I was watching it remotely, I understand the 13.7 was converter voltage
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #82
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
Instead of running off your internal batteries, you should be using an external inverter outside of your trailer. Think of it as an external power source. When you're camping long-term, like what you're doing, that's not really boondocking. That's a semi permanent situation. So, you're best off plugging it to it with your external trailer cable. You can actually make a 50 amp jumper to connect to the 6000 watt inverter. Connect inverter to a set of batteries, and let the generator charge them. I reccomend a good Schomacher charger for that.

If you are really intending to go with solar, I can make a few suggestions. 1000 Watts won't be sufficient. Look at 370 W, or above, panels. That requires a different forum.
What powers that inverter? And for what I'd want, 1000watts of solar panels in texas...... Should be plenty based on what I've researched with people running a lot less. That was also based on 600 aH of available battery power that I obviously don't have close to.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #83
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
changed converters to a 70a smart converter, added the surge protector, I'm seeing a lot more voltage with a generator running than I ever have, converter didn't even hiccup with dead batteries , and furnace running.

I will keep everyone posted but I really feel like the factory converter is just not up to the task.

Attachment 30570
Agree with your assessment... check how much draw your new converter makes. It may create a slightly higher overhead.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #84
thatoneguy

And wait... Now I'm confused, how is running an independent, separate battery system better than using the batteries as they are? Generator charges the batteries now through the converter. So why don't I wire a converter to the battery bank on the trailer 'with the proper disconnects,breakers, switches etc' ?. What you're saying I guess would work, but seems like a extra work on a trailer prewired for solar prep.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #85
thatoneguy

This is the converter I now have, it also comes with a monitor pendant that allows you to manually select the charge modeClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201103-002010_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	30619
Old 11-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #86
thatoneguy

Quote:
Agree with your assessment... check out much draw your new converter makes. It may create a slightly higher overhead.
I think that it does require a little more power, my generator has 7000watts of running power 8750 surge power , 58 amp max so I feel as tho my generator is up to the task. Once I get plugged in to shore I'll update the voltage readings, been months waiting on the light company
Old 11-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #87
WDPatterson

Quote:
What powers that inverter? And for what I'd want, 1000watts of solar panels in texas...... Should be plenty based on what I've researched with people running a lot less. That was also based on 600 aH of available battery power that I obviously don't have close to.
I've been using (12) 370 Watt Mission Solar PERC 72 panels. They're arranged in (4) strings of (3) panels. Each set of (3) panels is arranged in series for 120-volts DC at 10-amps... (4) Strings produces 40+ amps at 120+ volts... these panel strings each have a separate 15-amp breaker in a combiner box... The combiner box is just a breaker box where power from the panels is distributed to a 4-awg cable which connects to a Midnight Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, which converts the 120-volts at 40-amps to 48-volts at 80-amps... I have LiFePO⁴ Cells arranged in 15s9p configuration, to provide 48-52 volts at up to 100-amps to an Ames 6000-watt modified sine wave inverter... The inverter has a pigtail for the RV Power Cable to plug into... I get all power through that interface, and RV batteries do not get drained... They are maintained as a spare reservoir.

The generator only gets used for cloudy or "off-days"... With 217 AH of capacity at 48 volts, we have 10.3Kw for all night and into the next day.

All of this is upscalable, and on a scheduled upgrade path.

No poles, no meters, no electric bills.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #88
WDPatterson

Quote:
And wait... Now I'm confused, how is running an independent, separate battery system better than using the batteries as they are? Generator charges the batteries now through the converter. So why don't I wire a converter to the battery bank on the trailer 'with the proper disconnects,breakers, switches etc' ?. What you're saying I guess would work, but seems like a extra work on a trailer prewired for solar prep.
1000 watts was a sales pitch... You'll need more, in Texas weather.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #89
thatoneguy

Quote:
I've been using (12) 370 Watt Mission Solar PERC 72 panels. They're arranged in (4) strings of (3) panels. Each set of (3) panels is arranged in series for 120-volts DC at 10-amps... (4) Strings produces 40+ amps at 120+ volts... these panel strings each have a separate 15-amp breaker in a combiner box... The combiner box is just a breaker box where power from the panels is distributed to a 4-awg cable which connects to a Midnight Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, which converts the 120-volts at 40-amps to 48-volts at 80-amps... I have LiFePO⁴ Cells arranged in 15s9p configuration, to provide 48-52 volts at up to 100-amps to an Ames 6000-watt modified sine wave inverter... The inverter has a pigtail for the RV Power Cable to plug into... I get all power through that interface, and RV batteries do not get drained... They are maintained as a spare reservoir.

The generator only gets used for cloudy or "off-days"... With 217 AH of capacity at 48 volts, we have 10.3Kw for all night and into the next day.

All of this is upscalable, and on a scheduled upgrade path.

No poles, no meters, no electric bills.
Wow!!!! That's a damn setup!!!! Just wow! Lol
Old 11-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #90
thatoneguy

Quote:
1000 watts was a sales pitch... You'll need more, in Texas weather.
In the Panhandle it's sunny 340 days a year tho
Old 11-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #91
WDPatterson

Quote:
14.8 is what my converter puts to the batteries on their boost mode
That's good... it's also adequate for the 12-volt Battleborn batteries.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #92
thatoneguy

I may consult with you more once I start building my solar setup, which will need to be portable.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:41 PM   #93
WDPatterson

Quote:
In the Panhandle it's sunny 340 days a year tho
Sun is not the problem... Constant current draw is... A/C, Fridge, Icemaker, Water Heater, Blow Dryer, etc... they all add up... RV Solar is only made to run the fridge and TV, NOT air conditioning...

A 15K BTU AC Pulls 52-amps spike, and 11-20 amps constant... Your generator is adequate, but you need more solar...

What is your long-term energy plan ??
Old 11-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #94
thatoneguy

Quote:
Sun is not the problem... Constant current draw is... A/C, Fridge, Icemaker, Water Heater, Blow Dryer, etc... they all add up... RV Solar is only made to run the fridge and TV, NOT air conditioning...

What is your long-term energy plan ??
I'm a full time rv'er Im waiting on power company to setup my pole, my solar and boondock goals are basically for small mini vacations places like Yellowstone and national forests 'given solar won't be great in the forrest but I have the gennie as backup'
Old 11-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #95
WDPatterson

Quote:
I may consult with you more once I start building my solar setup, which will need to be portable.
👍... whenever you're ready...
Old 11-02-2020, 10:50 PM   #96
WDPatterson

Quote:
Wow!!!! That's a damn setup!!!! Just wow! Lol
The electric coop wanted $6500 to instal a pole and meter... Then, would come monthly electric bills...
I opted to spend the money on off-grid infrastructure..
No bills, no rising rates, no interruptions, just peace and quiet.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:52 PM   #97
thatoneguy

Quote:
The electric coop wanted $6500 to instal a pole and meter... Then, would come monthly electric bills...

I opted to spend the money on off-grid infrastructure..

No bills, no rising rates, no interruptions, just peace and quiet.
They originally quoted me 4,000 but got them to 1800, but yes a bill as well. I don't actually own property in the boonies, I'm just barely outside city limits, in a small community, mostly other travel trailers and mobile homes. For me it made sense to get a pole for normal living but want to get setup for true camping or...zombie apocalypse.. whichever.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #98
WDPatterson

Quote:
I'm a full time rv'er Im waiting on power company to setup my pole, my solar and boondock goals are basically for small mini vacations places like Yellowstone and national forests 'given solar won't be great in the forrest but I have the gennie as backup'
I like having a generator, but some places frown on them... There ARE open-framed inverters which can be paralleled to double output amperage... They're a little quieter, and you can run just one at night, if your power requitement is less after dark.

Lots of people lock their gennies in their truck beds, allowing slightly quieter operation inside the bed walls.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #99
thatoneguy

Quote:
I like having a generator, but some places frown on them... There ARE open-framed inverters which can be paralleled to double output amperage... They're a little quieter, and you can run just one at night, if your power requitement is less after dark.
And yes having enough battery power to last the night to run fans or furnace is basically my only goal, maybe an hour or two of television.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #100
thatoneguy

Also my smaller AC for a few hours in case it's extremely hot, I don't plan on running the primary ac