Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Yeah had the Fade on a Wildcat trailer. Crazy Forest River, instead of paying to paint it, they took to back and replace the whole front cap. Head scratcher
For Forest River the replacement was most likely the cheapest option!
They already have labor expenses & buying front caps by the truck load are probably inexpensive so having to pay a body shop to prep & paint the cap would've cost considerably more. A good many of the rv manufacturers do not do their own painting, it's contracted out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #22
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
For Forest River the replacement was most likely the cheapest option!
They already have labor expenses & buying front caps by the truck load are probably inexpensive so having to pay a body shop to prep & paint the cap would've cost considerably more. A good many of the rv manufacturers do not do their own painting, it's contracted out.
Yes, they had set aside a fund to get caps painted. They ran out of money by the time they got to my claim. I’d paid half, I wasn’t thrilled with taking off a cap, as I really didn’t trust it would be the same (leaks).

It got traded in on the alpine
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #23
Krich

2017 Cougar X-lite 28RKS

We pull a 2017 X-lite 28RKS with our 2019 F-250 diesel. This is our second rear kitchen 5th wheel. Yes, things in the kitchen bounce pretty good but I’ve ditched all the ceramic and glass We replaced the 17” range with a new Furrion 22”. Looking at the other year editions of this model we were lucky to have found the 2017 model. DH can’t make the radius shower work and the storage cubbies in the bathroom and bedroom don’t seem to be in other year models. Works nicely for us. Didn’t think I wanted an outdoor kitchen but now I love it. We boondock 90% of the time so don’t need the fridge but I set up my Blackstone and t off of the little stove’s propane outlet. I use the outdoor shower behind the slide with a small table and dish pan for a sink. Makes a nice outdoor cooking area. Would have liked a walk around bed but that would mean moving up to a bigger truck. Thankful for what we’ve got. Good luck with your shopping and enjoy!!
Krich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

We have a rear kitchen; not our first and nothing bounces around all that much. We have plastic (not sure the exact type) dishes so there isn't much to break. I do have a ceramic coffee cup and it is in fine condition. Our glass rotating plate in the microwave stays put and stuff in the fridge doesn't move around. Not sure where all this negative info comes from regarding rear kitchens but my wife loves it as we have a ton of counter space and the drawers in the pantry pull out. .
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:43 AM   #25
Canonman

I have to agree with George and others regarding problems with the rear kitchen being a non-issue. Our previous travel trailer had a rear kitchen. We liked the layout so much, we made sure our Cougar had a similar floor plan when we upgraded to a 5er. We have traveled some pretty rough roads and have not seen any problems with items stored in the rear cabinets compared to items stored in the pantry which is directly over the axels. We find the additional counter and cabinet space in the rear kitchen makes it a better choice for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0111 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	30931  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #26
Fishsizzle

We have mid kitchen on our Alpine, walk right into it from the door. Was ok to travel in, live in or extended stay is a PAIN.

We basically live in the center. Front is for tv/recliner and rear is bed. So work and get stuff done is the dining table
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #27
Rbpinney

We like our rear kitchen

The advantage to a rear kitchen unit is that none of the appliances or sink are on the slide. They are fixed. That means there are no electrical or gas lines flexing every time you move the slide in and out.
We have a 30' 2012 Keystone Hornet Platinum, purchased in 2017. Pretty much a twin to the Cougar. We have been full time since December of 2018. Have put just shy of 20k miles on the unit.
It's been a good unit. The only major repair was we had to replace the controller board on the furnace.
Rbpinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #28
pdaniel

I owned an “X-Lite”. Unless you live in a comfortable climate I recommend to not buy one.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 AM   #29
Miloski

Just couple or family with children.
We have the RES25 just under 30' and perfect for couples. We can use dinette for a bed for our grandchildren. If you put in couch instead of theater seats you'll add another one. Keystone did just come out with two smaller units if you're still concern about length.

David
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #30
RoadToad

Rear kitchens take a severe beating from road bounce..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
????? Please elaborate
We have had 2 over the years and both were very susceptable to road bounce.
Pots and pans like in a mix master.
Our Gulfstream was so bad, the refrigerator door shelves would bounce out of there sockets and when you opened the fridge door all the tray contents ended up on the floor.
Some folks may have had good luck with rear kitchen.
Me, not so much.
Would never have another one.
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #31
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbpinney View Post
The advantage to a rear kitchen unit is that none of the appliances or sink are on the slide. They are fixed. That means there are no electrical or gas lines flexing every time you move the slide in and out.
We have a 30' 2012 Keystone Hornet Platinum, purchased in 2017. Pretty much a twin to the Cougar. We have been full time since December of 2018. Have put just shy of 20k miles on the unit.
It's been a good unit. The only major repair was we had to replace the controller board on the furnace.
OMG I have never seen a slide with plumbing in it. In what Rv did you see a sink in the slide?
Old 11-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #32
RoadToad

Also, to whom ever might be interested. We got a Class B and are selling our 2010 Copper Canyon. (See my signature)
Old 11-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #33
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Also, to whom ever might be interested. We got a Class B and are selling our 2010 Copper Canyon. (See my signature)

Check your signature; Class B is a Roastek? Good luck with your new to you camper. Looked at a 2010 CC like yours and it had about 85 percent the same as our Cougar. Is the Copper Canyon a higher or lower line of camper than the Cougar line. I know the Montana is supposed to be at the top but there are so darn many I can't keep these things straight.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #34
Ragermack

We too have the 2017 28RKS and really love it. As was mentioned earlier we also removed the outdoor fridge and use the space in the slide for storage.
We have also increased cargo capacity by removing the recliners and installing lighter Ikea bentwood chairs and storage cube ottomans, along with replacing the shower doors with a shower curtain.
We've had no issues whatsoever with the rear kitchen.
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #35
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Check your signature; Class B is a Roastek? Good luck with your new to you camper. Looked at a 2010 CC like yours and it had about 85 percent the same as our Cougar. Is the Copper Canyon a higher or lower line of camper than the Cougar line. I know the Montana is supposed to be at the top but there are so darn many I can't keep these things straight.
Not sure of the pecking order of these models.
I really like the Montana personally.

montana
Old 11-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
OMG I have never seen a slide with plumbing in it. In what Rv did you see a sink in the slide?
2011 Bullets had several floorplans with sinks in the slide.

I'd guess that about half the diesel pusher motorhome floorplans have kitchen slides with the sink in the slide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar