Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
Telco Tech

Trailer wiring

This is the wiring on the tongue of my Keystone Cougar SABWE. In my opinion I rate this wiring job a D. In this area of the trailer I think the wiring should be more like automotive wiring with sealed connectors and sealed junction boxes. This doesn't look like a factory job to me or is this how Keystone sends their trailers out to dealers to sell? Junction box that would be used in a residential house wall? I would like to wire this with a separate power and ground buss in a weather sealed terminal box. I saw a trailer that was parked next to me that used this area with a platform for a portable generator. I'd like to hear opinions on this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1574.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	25547   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1575.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	25548  
Telco Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:20 AM   #2
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco Tech View Post
This is the wiring on the tongue of my Keystone Cougar SABWE. In my opinion I rate this wiring job a D. In this area of the trailer I think the wiring should be more like automotive wiring with sealed connectors and sealed junction boxes. This doesn't look like a factory job to me or is this how Keystone sends their trailers out to dealers to sell? Junction box that would be used in a residential house wall? I would like to wire this with a separate power and ground buss in a weather sealed terminal box. I saw a trailer that was parked next to me that used this area with a platform for a portable generator. I'd like to hear opinions on this. Thanks!
I agree on the wiring, don't look at the power centre, you'll have a panic attack.
The beauty is you get to arrange, rewire, decorate it the way you want it. As long as your TV and TT can handle that load, go for it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Logan X

If you have the ability and capability, I think it would be well worth it to clean up the wiring and get everything into boxes. If you do it, please post what you did with pictures. I’m interested in doing the same thing.

Regarding the generator, I prefer to have my generator be portable so I can keep it as far away as possible while it’s running. It travels in the back of my truck, locked with a cable lock, and it is locked to the bumper when I’m in camp and it’s not running. I use a cable lock from a company called Bolt. The lock is coded to your truck key so you don’t have to carry a lot of keys around. Here is a link-

https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7023722-.../dp/B00OQPPS0C

I also have a couple of padlocks and a hitch lock from them. They are a little pricey but it’s worth it to me to not have the extra keys.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The bold red ain't gonna happen. Not on an entry level unit and not on a lot of "high end" units. That "residential junction box" what does it contain? Most likely it's the breakaway switch (check for a battery wire (typically black) going in and a brake wire (blue) along with the steel cable. The breakaway switches are themselves sealed and I've seen the placed inside a stiil box to keep the wire loom or other wires from interfering with the cable operation.

I would make a neater install if it were mine but I couldn't guarantee that Keystone, or your dealer would find fault with it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
Telco Tech

All I can add is that it works, but in the long run I see trouble with the connections from vibration, weather, etc. I want to replace that wing nut with a butt connector that I will crimp with a compound leverage tool and then heat shrink over it.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That "galvanized house box" contains the connection/interface for the 7 pin connector. Inside that box is where the umbilical cable connects to the trailer wiring to run the turn signals, clearance lights, brake system, 12 VDC power to charge the battery/provide power from the vehicle 12 volt system.

There are at least two "DC mini-breakers" in the mix of wires and connections in that "spider web". They are not sealed, will corrode (usually in a year or two) and cause all kinds of electrical problems....

There are a couple of members who posted their "rework to weatherproof" their electrical systems. Do a search of the forum threads, there's a couple complete with photos and step by step solutions.

You're right, there is a "significant vulnerability to water/weather" on the tongue of every Keystone RV. That said, take a look at any other trailer, you'll find the same issues until you get into the "luxury trailer brands". I don't suspect that it will change any time soon, so …...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:16 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

WRT putting the generator on the tongue, I see a couple of issues there.
1. If your trailer is like mine (and yes, my wiring as new from the factory looks like yours) you have LPG bottles mounted on the tongue. Having a running generator that close to the gas bottles would make me a bit nervous and
2. Having a running generator on the tongue would generate a lot of noise inside the trailer. On our last trip, the blowout valve in one of the gas bottles was singing slightly and I could hear it all through the trailer. It nearly drove me mad until I found out what the noise was and figured out how to stop it and that was a pretty quiet sound.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:39 AM   #8
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

May I suggest some solder and shrink wrap.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
GaryUT

You can replace the box with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1WTKSP/ref=dp_cerb_1

Clean up the wires the best you can and cover with split loom tubing or wrap with tape.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61FptOVy8AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	25570  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #10
Telco Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
WRT putting the generator on the tongue, I see a couple of issues there.
1. If your trailer is like mine (and yes, my wiring as new from the factory looks like yours) you have LPG bottles mounted on the tongue. Having a running generator that close to the gas bottles would make me a bit nervous and
2. Having a running generator on the tongue would generate a lot of noise inside the trailer. On our last trip, the blowout valve in one of the gas bottles was singing slightly and I could hear it all through the trailer. It nearly drove me mad until I found out what the noise was and figured out how to stop it and that was a pretty quiet sound.

There was a couple from Louisiana that were full-timing across the country and parked next to me. They had that shelf mounted on the tongue of their 30' or so TT. It looked like a pretty neat install. That's the reason I mention it for discussion. I've also seem portagens mounted in a rack on the back receiver hitch on the TT. It seems less desirable there for security and damage reasons. It seems likes pluses and minuses for both places.
1997 Chevrolet K2500 EC 7.4L project truck
Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Stromberg/Carlson sells a rack to install above the propane tanks on travel trailers. It's an "adaptable, commercial product" and is sold at many RV dealerships. Here's one CW link to their generator rack: https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
sonofcy

Quote:
A couple of less extreme and easy improvements are to squirt NOALOX in the connections then tape over the open ends to exclude water.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
Joe2650BH

At least keystone is consistent with their poor quality. If you ever take the chloroplast off under the unit, you will see another mess of a wiring job.
Joe2650BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
Canonman

Telco Tech, I feel your pain. I spent over 20 years in the voice and data business. We were trained to "dress" every wire and secure and seal every connection. Evidently travel trailer "construction engineers" don't get this same training. We wanted any one who walked by our installations to know it was done by a professional just by looking at the job. Your example as was ours, shows a complete lack of workmanship and pride. I couldn't live with ours and cleaned things up when I installed our solar connections. I'm sure your's will look a lot better soon
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
pakuma

Had to replace the faceplate on the info center on my 2013 29RKS. While I was doing that touched one of the splices, it was hot. I ended up redoing the wiring in that area and have been upgrading connections since.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #16
Rocketsled

THANKYOU!

I’m looking at creating a 6” stub to extend the various grounds to the second battery. I couldn’t believe what I saw was a factory wiring.

The two heavy cables (presumably the Genset ) have plenty of slack to reach a second battery...everything else? Not so much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C34FBE35-EE31-4CA6-9CF4-8C1EDB77941A.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	25708  
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #17
tonysr

wiring

Quote:
If you think this is bad, wait till you see the wiring under your cabinets that go to accessories and through the walls for lights, switches, etc. You'll have a heart attack.
tonysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysr View Post
If you think this is bad, wait till you see the wiring under your cabinets that go to accessories and through the walls for lights, switches, etc. You'll have a heart attack.
You mean this wiring ?????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0309.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	25744   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0328.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	25745   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0316.jpg