Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #41
Audionut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The ones I used and that others on the forum have used are HalTec N-1600 Ford F Series Truck Valve. They're available at almost any internet tire/wheel site and usually are about $4 each. Shipping is almost as much as the valves, so expect to pay about $25 or so for 4 delivered to your house.

Here's one link, cheap price for the valve stems but a killer on the shipping...
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...-valve-han1600

Thanks for the recommendation for the N-1600 stems. Hopefully they are the best choice.

I was trying to see if valve stem holes are all the same size. What I have learned is that for any wheel that is rated for 65 psi the hole is 0.453".
Wheels rated for 80 psi holes also 0.453".
Wheels rated for 100 psi holes are 0.625".

So any wheel rated for 65 psi or 80 psi should have a 0.453" hole. Also, there is a need to not torque the stem to tight, the gasket could be damaged.

Have you found this to be true?

EDIT: NVM, I have the answer.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Since I'm waiting on my truck and have nothing better to do let me throw this out;

My Carlisle LRE tires run cooler at 80psi than my Trailer Kind LRDs did @65 psi. Of course the LRDs had considerable more weight on them as opposed to their max capacity vs the LREs. Stiffer sidewall? Less flexing? Not really apples to apples but just a thought.

I agree with John that running the LRE tire at 65psi vs the full inflation of 80psi should/will cause more flex thus more heat.....at least that was always my understanding. These are not passenger car radials.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Thanks for the recommendation for the N-1600 stems. Hopefully they are the best choice.

I was trying to see if valve stem holes are all the same size. What I have learned is that for any wheel that is rated for 65 psi the hole is 0.453".
Wheels rated for 80 psi holes also 0.453".
Wheels rated for 100 psi holes are 0.625".

So any wheel rated for 65 psi or 80 psi should have a 0.453" hole. Also, there is a need to not torque the stem to tight, the gasket could be damaged.

Have you found this to be true?
Your wheels are the same casting for the 5 lug (65PSI) and the 6 lug (80PSI) rating. That means the valve stem hole size is the same for either rating, since the casting is the same.

As for maximum torque on the valve stem to prevent gasket damage, I'll leave that to the "experts at the tire installation facility"

I believe that you're making this a LOT more difficult than it should be.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #44
Audionut

Quote:
Your wheels are the same casting for the 5 lug (65PSI) and the 6 lug (80PSI) rating. That means the valve stem hole size is the same for either rating, since the casting is the same.

As for maximum torque on the valve stem to prevent gasket damage, I'll leave that to the "experts at the tire installation facility"

I believe that you're making this a LOT more difficult than it should be.

Right you are, as is the case with me, I tend to over research things.

On another note, we brought our camper home to do a little work on it and I crawled under to see what it says behind the 6 lug wheels.

It says:
MAX LOAD
2150&6/2830LBS

So just to be sure, these wheels are 80 psi rated?
Any idea what 2150&6 means?

EDIT: NVM, I figured it out.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

On another note, we brought our camper home to do a little work on it and I crawled under to see what it says behind the 6 lug wheels.

It says:
MAX LOAD
2150&6/2830LBS

We're going in circles and not getting anywhere. Go back to my post #13 and look at the photo and my explanation. I've already answered this (and every other question) that keeps coming up as a "new, what if"....

Maybe someone else can more effectively explain it to you where my explanation, complete with photos, is inadequate. Otherwise, maybe you could "take a leap of faith" and believe what me and at least 3 others have told you about those valve stems being correct for the application.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #46
Audionut

I am not doubting what you are saying. I was mostly wondering what "2150&6" meant. I just found out that I couldn't see all the numbers behind my wheels due to dirt and such. I see now exactly what I need to know.

I've got it figured out now.
Thank you for your help.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #47
CWtheMan

Quote:

It says:
MAX LOAD
2150&6/2830LBS

There are no set in stone load/PSI specifications for wheels. They are certified by SAE and their manufacturer must provide individual specs upon demand.

That information you have found in orange above is probably there because the OEM provider requested it be there from the wheel manufacturer. It's probably an "in-house" reference that the wheel is compatible with tires having load capacities from 2150# LRC to 2830# LRE (which would be ST225/75R15). However the only valid answer in this case is to ask the wheel manufacturer.

If wondering about the size I mentioned, a tire load chart gave me the answer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #48
bobbecky

Take a look at the Sizes & Specs chart on this page and see the 15" size wheels. The 5 lug wheels are rated 2160 lbs and the 6 lug wheels are rated 2860 lbs. These are the same wheel, just with a different number of lug holes. That is what is referenced on the back of the wheel, same casting but with 5 or 6 lug holes. https://www.tredittire.com/wheel/altitude/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #49
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Take a look at the Sizes & Specs chart on this page and see the 15" size wheels. The 5 lug wheels are rated 2160 lbs and the 6 lug wheels are rated 2860 lbs. These are the same wheel, just with a different number of lug holes. That is what is referenced on the back of the wheel, same casting but with 5 or 6 lug holes. https://www.tredittire.com/wheel/altitude/
I was responding to this information:

It says:
MAX LOAD
2150&6/2830LBS

If that information is actually on the wheel, it's official and supersedes brochure information.

I used a load inflation chart for tires ST225/75R15 because the 2150 above equals a maximum loaded LRC tire for that tire size, as does the 2830 for a LRE.

Load index numbers do not provide the official load capacity for ST or LT tires. They conform to the load range lettering system. However, you'll find load index numbers on the LT & ST tires because sections of that system are official for all tires. Those sections may be a maximum load capacity when the tire is used in a dual configuration (114/110, the 110 is maximum load for dual configuration). The load index system also provides a speed letter after the load index which is official (114/110L, The "L" is the letter for 75 MPH).

Some "off shore" ST manufacturers may depict actual values on the tire sidewalls. It is also official.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=35494
Old 10-09-2019, 05:01 AM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I was responding to this information:

It says:
MAX LOAD
2150&6/2830LBS

If that information is actually on the wheel, it's official and supersedes brochure information.

I used a load inflation chart for tires ST225/75R15 because the 2150 above equals a maximum loaded LRC tire for that tire size, as does the 2830 for a LRE.

Load index numbers do not provide the official load capacity for ST or LT tires. They conform to the load range lettering system. However, you'll find load index numbers on the LT & ST tires because sections of that system are official for all tires. Those sections may be a maximum load capacity when the tire is used in a dual configuration (114/110, the 110 is maximum load for dual configuration). The load index system also provides a speed letter after the load index which is official (114/110L, The "L" is the letter for 75 MPH).

Some "off shore" ST manufacturers may depict actual values on the tire sidewalls. It is also official.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=35494
Cal,

Take a look at my photo in post #13 of this thread. Not only does that information exist "ON THE WHEEL" but is on every wheel that I've seen. I'd suspect that it's NOT a Keystone requirement since they wouldn't use both 5 lug and 6 lug castings (with different maximum weights) on the same application. So, the information is on the back of every wheel, at least every wheel that I've pulled on trailers from all manufacturers. Granted, I don't have the occasion to work on as many trailers as some, but every trailer, whether it's Jayco, Winnebago, Keystone or Forest River that I've pulled aluminum wheels, there's a weight rating cast into the wheel and on steel wheels, there's a weight rating either stamped onto the back of the wheel hub, or stamped (with a die set) on the inside of the rim, where you'd need to remove the tire to see the stamp.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #51
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are just a few of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of photos of aluminum and steel wheels that are cast or stamped with information related to offset, weight, lug specifications, manufacturer and other info.

These aren't my photos, but pictures I found using Google search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALUMINUM SPOKE MARKING 2.png
Views:	183
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	23977   Click image for larger version

Name:	ALUMINUM SPOKE MARKING 4.png
Views:	192
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	23978   Click image for larger version

Name:	ALUMINUM SPOKE MARKING 5.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	23979   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL WHEEL MARKINGS 2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	23980   Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL WHEEL MARKINGS.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	23981  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 AM   #52
CWtheMan

Quote:
Cal,

Take a look at my photo in post #13 of this thread. Not only does that information exist "ON THE WHEEL" but is on every wheel that I've seen. I'd suspect that it's NOT a Keystone requirement since they wouldn't use both 5 lug and 6 lug castings (with different maximum weights) on the same application. So, the information is on the back of every wheel, at least every wheel that I've pulled on trailers from all manufacturers. Granted, I don't have the occasion to work on as many trailers as some, but every trailer, whether it's Jayco, Winnebago, Keystone or Forest River that I've pulled aluminum wheels, there's a weight rating cast into the wheel and on steel wheels, there's a weight rating either stamped onto the back of the wheel hub, or stamped (with a die set) on the inside of the rim, where you'd need to remove the tire to see the stamp.
I already knew what your post #13 said before I posted. I answered the question with the information provided by that specific poster.

In the big picture the OEM providers are not consistent. You have to research each one. Some of them provide information that is targeted for inhouse use by the installers. Other's provide actual specs. That's why, when posting about wheels I always try to add that the only way to get factual information is, ask the wheel manufacturer. Have a look at the web pages for TBC, LionsHead and TBC. They are sort of the big three in providing OEM tires and wheels for our RV trailers. Sendel has a site with all of their trailer wheels depicted. Trailer wheels are not all certified with PSI values. When such wheels are used, the maximum load capacity of the wheel will support whatever PSI is needed for it to support that load.

A side note: The cast aluminum wheels that were OEM (Sendel) on our 2003 Everest (vehicle certified 6000# axles) have a maximum load capacity of 3042# at 80 PSI shown on the inner section of the wheels. Sound familiar? that's the load capacity of LT235/85R16 LRE tires that will not fit our 32" axle spacing. After way over 200,000 miles there're still on that trailer and not leaking. In 2004 & 2005 Keystone reconfigured the axles for those taller tires and they became OEM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #53
Apalinto

Hi Sourdough. What brand of tire did you upgrade to? Do you know if Carlisle makes an LRE?
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #54
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalinto View Post
Hi Sourdough. What brand of tire did you upgrade to? Do you know if Carlisle makes an LRE?
I upgraded to the Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST 225/75R 15 LRE and I've been very happy with them.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #55
markjamestx

80 PSI or not

I am sure that some of you will not agree with this, but I run E tires of the same size on a 8800# max weight 31 footer TT. Changed from D to E. My brother-in-law (a retiree of Cooper Tire & Rubber) plus the tire dealer which I know very well, recommended 65 to 70 PSI always. Get on down the road and you could exceed the tire's max pressure if you inflate to what is on the side of the tire. On a recent 6,000 mile July-August trip to Montana, my TPMS read 75 to 78 PSI running the highway at 65 to 70 MPH. And, it wasn't that hot up there.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #56
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
I am sure that some of you will not agree with this, but I run E tires of the same size on a 8800# max weight 31 footer TT. Changed from D to E. My brother-in-law (a retiree of Cooper Tire & Rubber) plus the tire dealer which I know very well, recommended 65 to 70 PSI always. Get on down the road and you could exceed the tire's max pressure if you inflate to what is on the side of the tire. On a recent 6,000 mile July-August trip to Montana, my TPMS read 75 to 78 PSI running the highway at 65 to 70 MPH. And, it wasn't that hot up there.

The tires are built to withstand the inherent temp increase due to driving. Here is a FAQ from Carlisle:

Carlisle ST FAQ

What is the proper tire inflation?

Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the tire sidewall. It's best to check tire pressure with a quality tire gauge when tires are cold and in the shade.
Under inflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure. An underinflated tire creates abnormal tire flexing and excessive heat causing:
- Ride and handling problems
- Decreased fuel efficiency
- Reduction of tire life
Driving on tires with too much air is also not recommended. Over-inflated tires are more likely to cut, puncture or fail by sudden impact.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #57
markjamestx

In response to sourdough's reply to my post, I wonder why manufacturers put MAX TIRE PRESSURE on their tires? I know the definition of MAX, but go ahead and run them down the road at MAX pressure and you will be exceeding the Manufacturer's MAX tire pressure. Makes sense to me.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #58
jadatis

Calculated highest pressure without bumping
Gave for 9500 lbs total weight with 10% of that on pin, for the ST 225/75R15 D-load 73 psi , not allowed, but shows upgrade to E- load is advisable.
For the E-load AT 80 psi , advice 79 psi, so allowed.

For this I lower the loadindex by 6 steps , to give tire same deflection as LT tire would have.
Also the endurance is calculated in maxload for 65mph, though they give max 87mph ( N- speedrated)

Now this is my general system.

Now there are LT225/70R15 tires with loadindex 112S, so max speed 180kmph/112mph, but calculated in maxload for 99mph.
This is only 1 LI step lower then the Endurance of /75 LI 113 and can be explained by the /70//75 difference. SO HERE GOES MY SYSTEM GONE of 1 LI step difference/ 10kmph/ 6,3mph difference in speed for wich it is calculated.

Mayby in the smaller sises / there are exeptions to the rule, as I learned in time, so the sise has been given a maxload, different from what would be calculated with the gererally used formula.

This long story means that your tires dont need the lowering loadindex system I use. Then lower pressure could be totally safe and durable.

You would notice it then by bumping, so for instance rivets popping loose, with the LRD 73psi and LRE 79 PSI.

But as long as I dont know for certain , I stay with my advice in the beginning
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #59
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
In response to sourdough's reply to my post, I wonder why manufacturers put MAX TIRE PRESSURE on their tires? I know the definition of MAX, but go ahead and run them down the road at MAX pressure and you will be exceeding the Manufacturer's MAX tire pressure. Makes sense to me.

They are max "cold" inflation pressures - not hot. Read the 2nd sentence in the Carlisle FAQ. None of the tire manufacturers state a max "hot" pressure that I know of simply because that number could be anything based on so many variables.

From TireRack:

Maximum Inflation Pressure

A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase.

For the reasons indicated above, It is also normal to experience "hot" tire pressures that are up to 5 to 6 psi above the tire's recommended "cold" pressure during the day if the vehicle is parked in the sun or has been extensively driven. Therefore, if the vehicle's recommended "cold" inflation pressures correspond with the tire's maximum inflation pressure, it will often appear that too much tire pressure is present. However, this extra "hot" tire pressure is temporary and should NOT be bled off to return the tire pressure to within the maximum inflation pressure value branded on the tire. If the "cold" tire pressure was correctly set initially, the temporary "hot" tire pressure will have returned to the tire's maximum inflation pressure when next measured in "cold" conditions.

Hopefully that clears up what the MAX pressure is - cold. The rest just "happens" and is normal.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #60
markjamestx

Thanks for the clarification

Tags
tires