Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Ccrew

Suspension options with spread axles?

We have a Bullet 220 RBI which means that it has the 42” on center axle spread. Looking for an option like Mor-Ryde but in talking to them they have no option for this configuration although they do have one in testing with no ETA. Anyone know another manufacturer that makes a similar setup? Thanks.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
slow

eTrailer sells the only available cushioned equalizer for the spread axle.

Here are additional details: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25868
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
roadglide

I'm using EZ flex Dexter product. There are a lot of u tube videos. I'm 12 k on my axles still holding up as expected
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
eTrailer sells the only available cushioned equalizer for the spread axle.

Here are additional details: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25868
Thanks! Bought and on their way. They're not a direct replacement dimensionally, but they should work. Looks like I may have to live with 1" of additional lift which is concerning, as I'm also looking to switch out the 205/75-14's for a 15" if I go 225/75-15 I pick up another 1" there also. May end up redrilling the center equalizer bracket holes higher to compensate for a little of it.

I'm not looking to pick up weight capacity, we travel *extensively* with it and just want something engineered a bit better. Just got back from a 3k mile trip. So far the parts on the way are: Equalizers, shock kits for both axles, Mor-Ryde wet bolt kit, and the Mor-Ryde XFactor brace for the equalizer mounts. The XFactors are cheap enough that I may put the other two on the spring mounts also. From there it's wheels and tires. 14k miles on a 10 month old trailer It's only $ right?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Thanks! Bought and on their way. They're not a direct replacement dimensionally, but they should work. Looks like I may have to live with 1" of additional lift which is concerning, as I'm also looking to switch out the 205/75-14's for a 15" if I go 225/75-15 I pick up another 1" there also. May end up redrilling the center equalizer bracket holes higher to compensate for a little of it.

I'm not looking to pick up weight capacity, we travel *extensively* with it and just want something engineered a bit better. Just got back from a 3k mile trip. So far the parts on the way are: Equalizers, shock kits for both axles, Mor-Ryde wet bolt kit, and the Mor-Ryde XFactor brace for the equalizer mounts. The XFactors are cheap enough that I may put the other two on the spring mounts also. From there it's wheels and tires. 14k miles on a 10 month old trailer It's only $ right?
I didn't upgrade the equalizer last year on my trailer but did "upfit" new 5200 lb axles, spring packs, wet bolts, and 15 inch wheels (225/75 tires). The chassis sits about 3-4 inches higher now and I appreciate all the new height considering how low these Bullets sit from the factory. I did have to replace the 4 stabilizer jacks to 30" (from the factory 24") so the arms wouldn't be fully extended. With the addition of welded and reinforced cross members on the spring and equalizer hangers/mounts, I'm hopeful I won't have to worry about the undercarriage components for 3 years.

Our upcoming 4,500 mile trip to the southwest will really test these upgrades. Can't wait.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
Ccrew

Yeah, we did VA to Alabama, the tornado came over our heads and hit just east of us, then hit Gulf Shores @ Pensacola which fortunately was uneventful. Hit Texas which was incredible, then just missed another tornado in Little Rock AR staying there. I think we had enough excitement for one trip. There's a certain unnerving feeling to phone alerts and tornado sirens telling you to take cover, and you're in an RV :-(
Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #7
librty02

I'm installing the Equaflex on my trailer tomorrow after the install I'll let you know how I feel about it
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea.../LC314336.html
librty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Just chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post

You’ll have to post pics. My measurements don’t show it will work. I would love to install this too.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just chillin View Post
You’ll have to post pics. My measurements don’t show it will work. I would love to install this too.
How much do they differ?

The vast majority of current TTs have either 35" or 42" axle spacings. There are many options for the 35" axle spacings when it comes to cushioned equalizers. The only 42" axle spacing cushioned equalizer available to my knowledge at this time is the Equaflex for which a number of us provided links to in previous posts in this thread.

As for dimensional differences, when I was researching prior to install, I noticed minor differences between the OEM non-cushioned equalizer and the cushioned equalizer for the 42" axle spacing from Equaflex. Those differences did not prevent their use. Rather, the effect of the minor dimensional differences (14.75" vs. 14.625" and 2" vs. 3.25") was that the expected 1 1/4" of lift was actually only ~1/2" of lift. Keep in mind that the dimensions noted in the Lippert picture below are for when the rubber cushions are not loaded. Also note that my short 23' box TT is on the light side so the 1/2" lift I gained may be even less for longer and heavier TTs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9213.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	21449

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9212.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	21450

If you have a 42" axle spacing and your only concern are these minor dimensional differences in the current and cushioned equalizer I noted above, I would proceed with the install.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
Just chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
How much do they differ?

The vast majority of current TTs have either 35" or 42" axle spacings. There are many options for the 35" axle spacings when it comes to cushioned equalizers. The only 42" axle spacing cushioned equalizer available to my knowledge at this time is the Equaflex for which a number of us provided links to in previous posts in this thread.

As for dimensional differences, when I was researching prior to install, I noticed minor differences between the OEM non-cushioned equalizer and the cushioned equalizer for the 42" axle spacing from Equaflex. Those differences did not prevent their use. Rather, the effect of the minor dimensional differences (14.75" vs. 14.625" and 2" vs. 3.25") was that the expected 1 1/4" of lift was actually only ~1/2" of lift. Keep in mind that the dimensions noted in the Lippert picture below are for when the rubber cushions are not loaded. Also note that my short 23' box TT is on the light side so the 1/2" lift I gained may be even less for longer and heavier TTs.

Attachment 21449

Attachment 21450

If you have a 42" axle spacing and your only concern are these minor dimensional differences in the current and cushioned equalizer I noted above, I would proceed with the install.
Thanks for the reply, slow. I have a 2019 26RBPR. It does have the 42” axle spacing. The springs are single leaf not multi leaf. It has the BAL frame. My equalizer is only 10” c to c. So that puts me 4-5/8 shorter than the pictured unit that I would love to have.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
slow

This is the first I heard of the 10” c to c equalizer. Thanks for posting that insight.

Some have posted issues with their single leaf springs. If you ever upgrade to multi-leaf springs, it would be an opportunity to also add the cushioned equalizer.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
busterbrown

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, slow. I have a 2019 26RBPR. It does have the 42” axle spacing. The springs are single leaf not multi leaf. It has the BAL frame. My equalizer is only 10” c to c. So that puts me 4-5/8 shorter than the pictured unit that I would love to have.
My trailer has the 42" wide space alxes too and options are pretty much non-existent for this suspension setup. That's why I didn't upgrade. Did do the wet bolts and shackles though.

If you're planning on some extensive, long distant trips with your coach, the bigger worry may be those mono leaf springs Keystone equips these Bullets with. If they fail, good luck trying to find a replacement locally. Two failed on my trailer within 2 weeks of each other. Had to contact Dexter directly to have them mail me new ones. Took about a week. Sourcing through Keystone would have taken 2 weeks.

Decided after both repairs to just upgrade to a multi leaf pack. These can be easily acquired almost anywhere in a day. The trailer rides higher and pulls much better.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Just chillin

Sounds like it wouldn’t be a bad idea to swap out or at least carry a spare.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #14
Charby

Quote:
Sounds like it wouldn’t be a bad idea to swap out or at least carry a spare.
Excellent idea, now what size are they, or same for every 42" spaced set-up?
What happens when it fails, wheel up through the floor ?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #15
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
Excellent idea, now what size are they, or same for every 42" spaced set-up?
What happens when it fails, wheel up through the floor ?
Essentially the axle is only attached at one point on that side. Certainly not good. Springs aren't the same size, that's going to be driven by the mounting points on the frame - distance between points and the proper angle on the shackles.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
Ccrew

Quote:
Mine also. I ultimately installed the wet bolts and the MorRyde XFactor crossmembers (x3) and swapped the 14" "Rainier ST" china tires for 15" Endurance with new wheels.

Tags
axle