Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I install them on my 5th wheel and at first, it was intimated but once you get started it will all come together, it took me about 2-3 hours. The hardest part that I ran into is the square beam between the front jacks.

I just lay everything out and figure out the best setup for my 5th wheel, I haven't taken it out to use it yet because I install it after the camping season. I have heard so many good reviews I figure why not so I will really see soon. The set that I got from Amazon gave me enough hardware to do the back jack but I didn't put them on.
Take the time to put the ones on back, it is worth the effort.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed the BAL Lock Arm system on our Cougar. It's a bit different in application but installs the same and has the same "final stability".

I had to modify the front compartment floor (it is thin sheet steel about 16 ga) with a piece of angle iron under the floor with bolts through the lock arm mount, the angle iron stiffener and the bed floor. It's "rock solid" and that took care of the "front end mods".

On the rear, I found a cross member near the rear wall (about 10" behind the bumper) to install the top mount brackets.

All told, it took about 2 hours (not counting for drying time for the angle iron paint). Easy mod that definitely improves the stability when walking around inside the trailer.

I'd suggest that you find a creeper, roll under your trailer, spend a half hour or so, "visualizing" what's there and thinking through the installation of all 6 of the arms (4 on front/2 on rear). If you have one of the arms under the trailer with you, you can "size things up" without having to rely completely on "imagination" to see what fits and what "won't work".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... the installation of all 6 of the arms (4 on front/2 on rear)...
The SteadyFast system is 2 for the front and one for the rear, I did not take a pick of the rear (it is just side to side like the front).

Pretty simple installation.

-Brian
Old 02-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

On our previous trailer (a 29' FR ultralight) I installed the BAL Lock Arm stabilizers. They were fantastic. When we bought our current trailer one of the selling points were the electric stabilizers. So when we started using it I considered the BAL's again but thought the reason I liked the electric stabilizers was the fact that I didn't have to get down to deploy them.

So I investigated and found a site that sold the same stabilizers that came on the trailer (Lippert Components High-Speed Power Stabilizer Jack) and they had a set in their "clearance" dept. I ordered it and installed the jack in front of the front axle, about midway between the two OEM jacks. This wasn't as good as the BAL's but reduced the movement enough to satisfy me without crawling back under the camper.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
The SteadyFast system is 2 for the front and one for the rear, I did not take a pick of the rear (it is just side to side like the front).

Pretty simple installation.

-Brian
You're right, the Steadyfast system consists of 3 bars.

The Strongarm system and the BAL Lock Arm system both have 6 bars. I can't (and wouldn't) suggest that 3 is "as good as 6" or 6 is "better than 3", as I simply have not ever used the Steadyfast system. I can say that there are 6 locking bars (4 in front and 2 in the rear) on the recommended installation of both the Strongarm and the BAL systems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #26
jsb5717

I found that the electric auto leveling system is more stable to begin with and the amount of movement was less than in previous 5ers. I installed the front 4 bars of the Strong Arms on this rig and found that that did the trick. I didn't install the rear 2 and the rig feels very solid.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #27
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Take the time to put the ones on back, it is worth the effort.
Okay, even if the back jacks are electric auto leveling system?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #28
dpandori

We had them on our Open Range and didn’t notice much of a difference. A tripod for the kingpin is a better investment IMO. Good luck!

Full-timing with my wife and kiddos!
dpandori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #29
Big1

I have the tripod steel one and still it was a little shaky.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #30
Brantlyj

Quote:

The Strongarm system and the BAL Lock Arm system both have 6 bars. I can't (and wouldn't) suggest that 3 is "as good as 6" or 6 is "better than 3", as I simply have not ever used the Steadyfast system. I can say that there are 6 locking bars (4 in front and 2 in the rear) on the recommended installation of both the Strongarm and the BAL systems.
Just installed my Bal lock-arms. I did mine opposite. 2 kits in the rear (4 bars) and one kit in the front (2 bars). I’m sure there is no right or wrong way to do it but with the layout under the trailer this worked out better for me.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #31
B-O-B'03

Quote:

Looking at the size of the bars and the mounts between the 2 I see why the SteadyFast just has 3. The locking mechanism for the SteadyFast is also very robust and simple, no tools required.

-Brian
Old 03-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #32
slow

I just received my 4 pad SteadyFast package. I am impressed with how well packaged and how robust the components are. Now I need to wait for the snow to melt.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #33
ewbldavis

[QUOTE=JRTJH;379621]I installed the BAL Lock Arm system on our Cougar. It's a bit different in application but installs the same and has the same "final stability".

I had to modify the front compartment floor (it is thin sheet steel about 16 ga) with a piece of angle iron under the floor with bolts through the lock arm mount, the angle iron stiffener and the bed floor. It's "rock solid" and that took care of the "front end mods".

Do you have a pic of how you mounted angle? I want to get the BAL for our Cougar and was wondering if I should add something to the sheetmetal. I'm thinking a 1 1/2" or 2" angle stitch-welded to outside, but would like to see your installation!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's some photos of what I did to reinforce my "thin sheet steel floor" Actually, all I did was cut a flat plate of 1/8" thick steel for the top and cut a "same length" piece of 1.5" angle iron for the bottom. Sandwiched the two together with the floor of the compartment between them. I did measure and drill holes for the BAL stabilizer mounts before installing any of it together. It's much easier to drill them on a drill press than laying on your back and working over your head in close quarters under the trailer.

I would not "stitch weld" anything to the bottom of the thin flooring. Anything that puts any stress on it will rip or bend the flooring. I found that making the sandwich with stronger (non bending steel) on top and the angle iron on the bottom provides much more rigidity than any "single piece of stock" would ever provide. If you notice, the front bulkhead is actually the luan paneling that forms the inside walls, so that entire area is not "super strong"... I wouldn't rely on any of the OEM structure to stay rigid with any stress or movement...

Mine has been on the trailer since 2013 and is still as rigid as it was the day I installed it.

Here's the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	28647   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	28648   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	28649   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	28650   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 5.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	28651  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #35
ewbldavis

Awesome. This is a HUGE help. Ordered the BAL and anxiously waiting lol.

I'm disappointed in some of the construction. exposed luan, etc. - so you know 7 years later, not really any better .

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 07-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

I was under my trailer yesterday, doing some checking and cleaning. Honestly, the front luan that's in my photos is about the same condition as it was when the trailer was new, so there's not much need to "fret over something that isn't exposed to the elements (even though it sure looks like it ought to be a problem)... It has held up surprisingly well given the "backroads use" and extended towing during rain and snow that we've done.

Some of the "shortcuts" Keystone takes make you "scratch your head in wonder" while some of them, even after 5 or 6 years, make you "scratch your head in amazement".... Sure, Keystone takes shortcuts to save time and money, but from what I've seen, most of them (except for obvious mistakes in manufacturing) are "designed for the long haul"... Exceptions (for me) seem to be the use of DARCO in the wheelwells and the laminated "lightweight" flooring system with luan on the bottom. Those two "shortcuts" definitely have caused more damage than most of the "engineering decisions" at Keystone.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

When we did the PODI on our unit years ago I complained to the tech about all the trim work having the ends cut an "bare". I wasn't expecting a return on all that trim with miter joints but I thought "what would it have taken for them to have taken a little stain and touched up those exposed ends". I mentioned that to the tech and his response was "if they did that they would be replacing the furniture, the floow and half the walls from where they would drip it all over the place". It made sense and grounded my thoughts back to accepting that it's a camper, not a custom built home.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #38
jsb5717

There's definitely a difference between assemblers and craftsmen. It's best to just accept the way the assemblers assembled it or pay a far higher price for a custom coach by some craftsmen.

In my experience the fit and finish really hasn't been too bad. Additional craftsmanship provided by me...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #39
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
There's definitely a difference between assemblers and craftsmen. It's best to just accept the way the assemblers assembled it or pay a far higher price for a custom coach by some craftsmen.

In my experience the fit and finish really hasn't been too bad. Additional craftsmanship provided by me...
And a good many of these "assemblers" were flipping burgers at Mickey D's yesterday. If you ever notice the meat patty hanging off one side, 3 pickles in a pile & about a quart of ketchup, apparently they had trouble assembling those also.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #40
ewbldavis

I added the BAL Lockarms to landing gear only (thanks again JHRT, John for the info - worked perfectly).

They made a HUGE difference IMO. We have two teens who seem to flop like fish back there. Hardly noticable now. Definitely recommend this upgrade.

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS