Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Dshockley

Want to Use Direct TV

Want to use direct tv in my travel trailer. Dont need it while driving only once I get to the site. Ive seen people using a dsih on a tri pod but have heard others say you need a spcial reciver mounted to the top of your trailer that costs around $1300. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Dshockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
antiqfreq

When we traveled fulltime we had directv for about 3 of the first months but we went to some unusual places and couldn't always get reception. We too used the tripod and had nothing mounted to the roof.

All we used was a signal finder for the correct satellite in our area. Most of the time it worked but not always.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
DocData757

Been using a tripod for over 3 years. Would not own a roof mount because of the strong possibility of being located where I can't get a signal. The tripod gives you a lot more flexibility.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Dshockley

Dave,
did you order the tri pod from dtv if not where di dyou get it? When you hook it up to your rig do you just co-axel and then use a regular dtv receiver?
Dshockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshockley View Post
Dave,
did you order the tri pod from dtv if not where di dyou get it? When you hook it up to your rig do you just co-axel and then use a regular dtv receiver?
http://www.marxrv.com/sat.htm

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
DJ85

I have a tri-pod that I am wanting to sell if interested send me a pm and I will give you the details.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
rnkburg

I got my dish, tripod, cables , etc.. from the direct tv installer directly. Cost me 75.00 total I believe

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Ron

We us a portable VuCube Automatic Satelite finder with 55' of cable because during the summer we move alot and camp around alot of trees, so we just move it to get a clear view of the southern sky and were good to go. If we were sitting in one place for extended period of time, then I would go with a dish and tripod.......
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
chuckretnav

Smile Direct TV

I moved recently from Indiana to Texas and lived in the fiver for about 6 months. Here are a few things I found out.
1. If you are taking your DirectTV reciever from your house look on your roof and see what kind of dish you have. If it is what they call a slimline then that iw what you are going have to use.
2. Go to any DirectTV installation place and most of them will have the tripod and equipment you need.
3. Ask them or look on the internet and brouse your directtv rec on how to aim the dish. A slimline dish is very very very picky on the aiming. One little twist and you loose the signal.
4. Also if you take the reciever from you home that is ok but you will not get any locals at all once you are out of your home 20 footprint.
5. The whole thing is a pain in the butt to tell you the truth so we sold our dish and tripod after we moved into the house. Next time we travle if the antenna don't get it oh well.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
mhs4771

A correction. With most of the DirecTV Rcvrs during setup you tell it what kind of dish you have. We have the SlimLine at the S&B but have used an old 18" dual feed horn dish, just tell the receiver the type of dish. Yes with the smaller dish we only got the Std Def channels (no HD), but hey this is suppose to be roughing it remember.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
chuckretnav

Smile Direct TV

Thats one thing I didn't notice during setup. Everyone kept telling me with the rec I had it had to have the slimline. But then there was a lot of info direct and the sat shop didn't tell me had to find it on the internet. LOL
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
reubenray

I have my tripod ordered and I already have a SWM dish. I will be taking my receivers from my house.

How and where does the cable from the dish connect to my Cougar HC? Also will I be able to get the signal at both the LR and BR connections.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
therink

Hi
I thought I would chime in. I have been using a portable directv HDTV dish for years and it is real simple. Each receiver in the rv has to have a separate cable coming from the dish. You can not have any splitters or interference in the cable or you will not get signal. The cable can not be tied into the even on the same cable circuit shared with the OTA roof antenna.
Most newer rigs have a dedicated satellite "in" coax connection on the exterior somewhere and it generally provides dedicated feed to a living room or main tv. If you want satellite to go to second TV you will need to figure a way to get cable from dish to that tv with no interruption.
As far as dish, I have a slimline3 hd dish I got for like $10 off of Craigslist. I made a stand out of PVC for about $10. My directv tech gave me 500' of coax and a box of ends so I made two 100' cable runs. In 10 years I can only remember about 3 campsites where I couldn't get a signal.
BTW, I am sitting in the proctologist doctor office waiting right now so had plenty of time to write this. LOL
Steve.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Roller4Tan

I did get satellite to work on my cougar using the outside cable port. Do a search for satellite connection and my post may show up. I have different stations in BR and LR through two different receivers using a SWM DirecTv dish.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
reubenray

Being I will be using a SWM dish and due to the fact that they are harder to get setup I may run a cable through a door or window for the initial setup. I then would work on getting it done correctly using the provided jacks. I believe the looped cable in my fiver is at the LR.

In the worse case scenario I would put an exterior through wall jack for the satellite cable. I also will only bring one of my receivers, so the BR would have to be working for the antenna connection.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
therink

I have set mine up so that I use both coax jacks on the outside of the rv. One feed from the dish goes to the living room dtv receiver via the sat in jack and the other goes to the front bedroom dtv receiver via the cable in jack. I have the interior coax wiring set up so that there both runs go directly with no splitters or connection to get antenna circuit. It tooka little poking around in the walls to redirect things but it works great and didn't have to drill holes or run coax through a Window.
Steve

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #17
reubenray

I am leaning more toward putting an jack on the outside for the satellite signal. It would go straight into the entertainment center. I plan on getting a weatherproof gasket and caulk it with silicone caulk.

Am I correct to assume that with the way the system is wired you can not have satellite and OTA at the same time without reconnecting cables? My Vizio has two HDMI connections, so I would be able to watch both by simply changing the inputs on the remote. The only negative would the audio would only come out of the TV while watching the satellite.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am leaning more toward putting an jack on the outside for the satellite signal. It would go straight into the entertainment center. I plan on getting a weatherproof gasket and caulk it with silicone caulk.

Am I correct to assume that with the way the system is wired you can not have satellite and OTA at the same time without reconnecting cables? My Vizio has two HDMI connections, so I would be able to watch both by simply changing the inputs on the remote. The only negative would the audio would only come out of the TV while watching the satellite.
Yes, you are correct. That will work.
Steve